Menghai shengs from tuochatea.com

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Apr 10th, '14, 09:34

Re: Menghai shengs from tuochatea.com

by MEversbergII » Apr 10th, '14, 09:34

I will scoop some of these up as soon as I have some free capital (and know where my address will be in 2 weeks!)

M.

May 1st, '14, 22:41

by Rdeitz » May 1st, '14, 22:41

TomVerlain wrote:I just bought a few cakes - the 2008 7542 seems like a good buy. Took a punt on the "Autumn Aroma", Haiwan Purple Bud and a few other.

The 2005 CNNP is cheap - It is Simao, which I am not familiar with as a puerh, so that might go either way, but most likely is a good daily drinker. It says 7581 style, but does not look like a mix of raw\ripe. Assuming it is completely ripe, 10 years of age must have evened it out abit.
Any updates on how these particular teas taste? I am placing an order soon and might consider any recommendations.

May 2nd, '14, 06:30
Scrolling: fixed

by TomVerlain » May 2nd, '14, 06:30

last update is April 17, 2014 , 12:36 pm Processed Through Sort Facility .
SHANGHAI, CHINA

Their website said 3-5 weeks, so it should hopefully be arriving in the next few days to 2 weeks.

May 2nd, '14, 15:02

by Exempt » May 2nd, '14, 15:02

Mine are still on the way. At least I hope they are :oops: :roll: :|

May 2nd, '14, 19:13

by Bef » May 2nd, '14, 19:13

I'm new to pu-erh. Tried some of that tea from Camellia Sinensis, hated it, but it has grown up on me and I'm starting to appreciate it. Definitly an acquired taste for me.

I would like to try one or two cakes from that website, but don't know where to start.

Anyone has some suggestion for one or two of the cakes that are sold on that website?

May 2nd, '14, 19:44
Scrolling: fixed

by TomVerlain » May 2nd, '14, 19:44

puerh falls into a few distinct categories, Sheng (raw/green) and Shu (cooked or fermented) as well as ready to drink or to be aged. Some people like tea for now that others would let sit for twenty years.

I didn't order this one, even though it is a favorite, and I have a few cakes of other years. I think these are a good buy and a decent tea
2007 Menghai *7262* Dayi Pu-erh Chitse Beeng Cha

It is a well aged shu, ready to drink, good factory, good recipe and I think a good value from them.

In a few weeks I'll update on what I got and what I think about them, but the 7262 is a good recommendation in any case. Of course you might prefer the flowery green of a fresh sheng in which case there may be other cakes more suited to your tastes, other might chime in on that.

What did you like or dislike about the tea you tried and what exactly was it ?

May 2nd, '14, 20:06

by puyuan » May 2nd, '14, 20:06

Bef wrote:I'm new to pu-erh. Tried some of that tea from Camellia Sinensis, hated it, but it has grown up on me and I'm starting to appreciate it. Definitly an acquired taste for me.

I would like to try one or two cakes from that website, but don't know where to start.

Anyone has some suggestion for one or two of the cakes that are sold on that website?

Which did you try, and what didn't you like about them? Were they shu or sheng? Young or aged? I've never had any of their tea, but remember from recently perusing their website that they have one or two cakes pressed from wild trees that probably aren't even, the irony, camellia sinensis, perhaps taliensis. These would have given you a very unusual drinking experience.

May 2nd, '14, 20:52

by Bef » May 2nd, '14, 20:52

puyuan wrote:[
Which did you try, and what didn't you like about them? Were they shu or sheng? Young or aged? I've never had any of their tea, but remember from recently perusing their website that they have one or two cakes pressed from wild trees that probably aren't even, the irony, camellia sinensis, perhaps taliensis. These would have given you a very unusual drinking experience.
I don't remember the name, the bag is in my office, will have to look o Monday.

I think that is was a sheng fom 2007 that they are no longer selling.

I'm used to drinking high mountain taiwanese oolongs, so the taste pf pu-erh was quite shocking at first - that earthy aroma has nothing to do with the very floral taiwanese oolongs...

I've Never tried another pu-erh, yet, but I'm interested in doing so.

May 2nd, '14, 20:54

by Bef » May 2nd, '14, 20:54

TomVerlain wrote:puerh falls into a few distinct categories, Sheng (raw/green) and Shu (cooked or fermented) as well as ready to drink or to be aged. Some people like tea for now that others would let sit for twenty years.

I didn't order this one, even though it is a favorite, and I have a few cakes of other years. I think these are a good buy and a decent tea
2007 Menghai *7262* Dayi Pu-erh Chitse Beeng Cha

It is a well aged shu, ready to drink, good factory, good recipe and I think a good value from them.

In a few weeks I'll update on what I got and what I think about them, but the 7262 is a good recommendation in any case. Of course you might prefer the flowery green of a fresh sheng in which case there may be other cakes more suited to your tastes, other might chime in on that.

What did you like or dislike about the tea you tried and what exactly was it ?
Thank you so much! I might try one of the cakes that you suggested, and maybe a sheng to go along with that. Any idea of a sheng that might be worth trying on that website?

May 2nd, '14, 21:29

by Rdeitz » May 2nd, '14, 21:29

I'd suggest the 8582. It's an excellent sheng especially for the price.

May 3rd, '14, 15:12

by Bef » May 3rd, '14, 15:12

Rdeitz wrote:I'd suggest the 8582. It's an excellent sheng especially for the price.
Thanks! I will check that tea.

---

I was wondering... I might need a few years to get through a few cakes, since I mostly drink oolongs. But I live in a very dry place (20% to 40% throughout the year) with a temperature stable, at about 22 to 25 celcius.

I understand that the cakes might not get better in that environment. But will they degrade as well, or will they at least remain "stable"?

May 3rd, '14, 21:02

by Exempt » May 3rd, '14, 21:02

Bef wrote:
Rdeitz wrote:I'd suggest the 8582. It's an excellent sheng especially for the price.
Thanks! I will check that tea.

---

I was wondering... I might need a few years to get through a few cakes, since I mostly drink oolongs. But I live in a very dry place (20% to 40% throughout the year) with a temperature stable, at about 22 to 25 celcius.

I understand that the cakes might not get better in that environment. But will they degrade as well, or will they at least remain "stable"?
They'll probably degrade over a few years in 20-40% rh

May 5th, '14, 01:45

by AllanK » May 5th, '14, 01:45

Has anyone tried the Menghai 2007 0712 or 2007 0772? I am eying these to buy tongs. The new recipe ripe 0532 is great ( I bought mine from Yunnan Sourcing) so these might be great too.

May 6th, '14, 21:51

by AllanK » May 6th, '14, 21:51

AllanK wrote:Has anyone tried the Menghai 2007 0712 or 2007 0772? I am eying these to buy tongs. The new recipe ripe 0532 is great ( I bought mine from Yunnan Sourcing) so these might be great too.
I guess no one had tried those cakes so I went ahead and bought them along with some other Menghai sheng teas, seven total including tuochas and bings in my third order. I will have tried most of the Menghai shengs from Tuocha tea. I will have them in about a month as I didn't spring for EMS. Their SAL shipping is very reasonable and my last order to arrive came in two weeks. I bought Menghai Shue in that order as well as some others. The Hong Zhuang was good so I bought a Tong. It should arrive within a week.

May 8th, '14, 10:08

by Puerlife » May 8th, '14, 10:08

This arrived recently from tuochatea, a tong of 7262. The tea is fine but look at that funky wiring job. I've opened the tong at the top but I haven't touched the wires. This is my first Dayi tong so I don't know if this is normal.
Attachments
tong 7262 2.jpg
tong 7262 2.jpg (62.55 KiB) Viewed 1025 times

+ Post Reply