Everyday raw puerh?

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Nov 1st, '14, 22:41

Everyday raw puerh?

by Poseidon » Nov 1st, '14, 22:41

Lately Ive been diving into my puerh with a force and really enjoying it. As a new puerh lover Im not as used to the prices as I am an oolong tea. Is there a good sweet balanced every day bing that doesn't break the bank? I have really enjoyed my samples of Teavivre Fengqing Wild Tree Yesheng Raw Pu-erh Tea Cake 2013 but 63 bucks a cake it out of my range. Can I get the same quality and flavor out of a Haiwan cake or another factory raw cake? If someone can point me in the right direction for a cake with the above attributes I would appreciate it!

Nov 2nd, '14, 00:34

Re: Everyday raw puerh?

by BW85 » Nov 2nd, '14, 00:34

http://www.teaclassico.com/Yunnan-Puer- ... -puer.html

Or anything from white2tea that's in your price range will taste good. Paul selects good stuff for the money

Nov 2nd, '14, 01:43

by shah82 » Nov 2nd, '14, 01:43

What is your price range?

Nov 2nd, '14, 01:11

by Emmett » Nov 2nd, '14, 01:11

If you like it buy it because you will kick yourself for not getting one before it becomes unavailable. $63 is not much nowadays for a tea that you really enjoy. You will never find another cheaper tea or any other tea for that matter that will be the same. Dont make the mistake of stacking up on super cheap teas that will not live up to the one you didnt get. Better to have one good $60 bing that you will enjoy than three boring $20 bings.
Its up to you.

Nov 2nd, '14, 01:20

by BW85 » Nov 2nd, '14, 01:20

Emmett wrote:If you like it buy it because you will kick yourself for not getting one before it becomes unavailable. $63 is not much nowadays for a tea that you really enjoy. You will never find another cheaper tea or any other tea for that matter that will be the same. Dont make the mistake of stacking up on super cheap teas that will not live up to the one you didnt get. Better to have one good $60 bing that you will enjoy than three boring $20 bings.
Its up to you.
+1. That really is good advice. Something I learned early on. Cheap tea can taste good, but probably(most likely) won't have the same depth or intricacies that you will come to look for after drinking more and more sheng

Maybe combine two months tea budgets into one? A cake can last you awile :mrgreen: and $63 is only $5 an ounce if it's a 357 gram bing

Nov 2nd, '14, 16:05

by Peacock » Nov 2nd, '14, 16:05

Hi Poseidon,

The 2012 Cangyan Gufeng Yiwu puerh from White2tea is my daily drinker, and it's priced at $34. It's quite sweet, and a blend of spring and fall material.

Nov 2nd, '14, 16:15

by drinking_teas » Nov 2nd, '14, 16:15

for young sheng check out Yunnan Sourcing's productions

Nov 2nd, '14, 16:16
Scrolling: scrolling

by William » Nov 2nd, '14, 16:16

Actually, I often drink Xiu Lin Wu Hao Raw Pu-erh 2011 and Zhong Shan Raw Pu-erh 2012, both sold by Hojotea, nicely priced and really good quality. :)
I also enjoy quite often 2012 EoT QiShengGu Puerh Tea, 2014 EoT "Long Lan Xu" Puerh Tea and 2012 EoT Baotang Puerh Tea, sold by Essenceoftea.

Regards.

Nov 2nd, '14, 17:19

by chabaka » Nov 2nd, '14, 17:19

Perhaps Yunnan Sourcing's own blend "Impression" might be a cake for you:
http://yunnansourcing.com/en/2012-yunna ... grams.html
To me this blend of spring and autumn leaves seems very accessible both in taste and price (only 19$ per bing).

If you don't mind drinking tea produced by big factories: you can't go terribly wrong with 8582 I think. For example the 2009 version is delightfully mellow and can be had at Yunnan Sourcing for only 25$

Slightly smoky, but dominated by a sweet flavour (dried apricots) is this 2008 Mangfei found at Chawangshop for 36$ (used to be about 20$ at bannacha.com - unfortunately out of stock):
http://www.chawangshop.com/index.php/20 ... -400g.html

Good luck in finding your daily tea!

Nov 2nd, '14, 22:14

by Poseidon » Nov 2nd, '14, 22:14

Emmett wrote:If you like it buy it because you will kick yourself for not getting one before it becomes unavailable. $63 is not much nowadays for a tea that you really enjoy. You will never find another cheaper tea or any other tea for that matter that will be the same. Dont make the mistake of stacking up on super cheap teas that will not live up to the one you didnt get. Better to have one good $60 bing that you will enjoy than three boring $20 bings.
Its up to you.
Great advice. Put into that perspective I will probably pick one up fairly soon.

I think ill also try most of the tea you guys mentioned. Its nice to have some sort of direction when starting in a new tea category. I like the look of the impression cake from YS. Nice big leaves! Thats certainly going on the list... I can see how puerh is a different animal in the tea world :lol:

Nov 4th, '14, 06:57

by TuoChaTea » Nov 4th, '14, 06:57

Also, $63 may look a bit too much, but when converted to oolong prices, it's $9 for 50 grams, and that is not that much for a good tea.

Nov 4th, '14, 07:08

Re:

by Rui » Nov 4th, '14, 07:08

Peacock wrote:Hi Poseidon,

The 2012 Cangyan Gufeng Yiwu puerh from White2tea is my daily drinker, and it's priced at $34. It's quite sweet, and a blend of spring and fall material.
For the past week or so I am also drinking this tea and I agree with your opinion about this tea.

Nov 4th, '14, 09:09

Re: Re:

by Poseidon » Nov 4th, '14, 09:09

Rui wrote:
Peacock wrote:Hi Poseidon,

For the past week or so I am also drinking this tea and I agree with your opinion about this tea.
I think when my tea fund is back at a decent amount, Ill spring for the repave and the yiwu from white2tea. If anything is left, Ill grab that teavivre cake too. :lol: There is so much tea in my house right now its nuts!

Nov 4th, '14, 09:48

by Rui » Nov 4th, '14, 09:48

Poseidon wrote:I think when my tea fund is back at a decent amount, Ill spring for the repave and the yiwu from white2tea. If anything is left, Ill grab that teavivre cake too. :lol: There is so much tea in my house right now its nuts!
My wife was already rising her eyebrows as my tea 'stash' at home was getting out of hand so I have created another 'stash' at the office. :roll:

With the amount of tea I drink pu'erh never gets 'aged' around here. :oops:

Nov 4th, '14, 09:53

by Poseidon » Nov 4th, '14, 09:53

Rui wrote:
Poseidon wrote:I think when my tea fund is back at a decent amount, Ill spring for the repave and the yiwu from white2tea. If anything is left, Ill grab that teavivre cake too. :lol: There is so much tea in my house right now its nuts!
My wife was already rising her eyebrows as my tea 'stash' at home was getting out of hand so I have created another 'stash' at the office. :roll:

With the amount of tea I drink pu'erh never gets 'aged' around here. :oops:
I hear ya brother. My lady does the same. "Why did you order ANOTHER bag of tea?!?" She cant quite grasp that each tea has a different flavor and when you find one you like, you buy as much as you can get because you may not find something similar for awhile. Ive made that mistake way too many times. :lol: Ill take a little attitude if the result is a cake of quality tea.

+ Post Reply