Recommend me something

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Nov 29th, '14, 18:10

Recommend me something

by stockman » Nov 29th, '14, 18:10

Hi!

I want to try something new but as I am new in pu ehr tea I don't know what to choose...

I love this one (mengku gold award):

I would like to try something sweet, no astringent, no smoky (or very light smoky flavour), not too dry, with a heavy or medium mouthfeel and with a good (low) price.

Can you recommend me something?

regards

Nov 30th, '14, 00:28

Re: recommend me something

by Jaymo » Nov 30th, '14, 00:28

Mengku is one of my favorite big factories as well. Are you looking for sheng or shu?

Nov 30th, '14, 08:28

by stockman » Nov 30th, '14, 08:28

I would prefer sheng, but if there is any shou with good taste... :mrgreen:

Nov 30th, '14, 10:12

by mr mopu » Nov 30th, '14, 10:12

Shou from 2008 and older is coming in its age now. In terms of sheng Whit2tea and Yunnan Sourcing have some good ones. In terms of a good shou like you may want Crimson Lotus Tea has some fine shou.

Dec 2nd, '14, 09:56

by Poseidon » Dec 2nd, '14, 09:56

stockman wrote:I would prefer sheng, but if there is any shou with good taste... :mrgreen:
Finding a sheng with that flavor profile is going to be tough. Aged sheng will give some of those notes you want. Its much easier to attain with a shou though.

Here's my reccomendation: http://www.puerhshop.com/index.php?main ... ts_id=1831

I really like that cake.

Dec 4th, '14, 20:46

Re: Recommend me something

by Alucard » Dec 4th, '14, 20:46

Stockman, have you decided on anything?

I'm in the same boat as you. I tried a shu and a sheng many years ago as a sample and have not really looked into them again until now. YS has so many choices that I felt lost. Thanks to Mr Mopu's comment I looked into Crimson Lotus Tea and see they specialize in Pu and only have a handful of choices. I decided to order a few samples from them. We'll see if my taste buds are in agreement with puerh.

Dec 4th, '14, 22:14
Vendor Member

by Greenteaguru » Dec 4th, '14, 22:14

go for,
2013 ‘Yunnan Sourcing’ Ai Lao Mnt Raw Pu erh cake.
A great daily drinker. Low astringency, Fairly sweet with light honey and grass notes.

Dec 5th, '14, 06:50

by mr mopu » Dec 5th, '14, 06:50

Alucard wrote:Stockman, have you decided on anything?

I'm in the same boat as you. I tried a shu and a sheng many years ago as a sample and have not really looked into them again until now. YS has so many choices that I felt lost. Thanks to Mr Mopu's comment I looked into Crimson Lotus Tea and see they specialize in Pu and only have a handful of choices. I decided to order a few samples from them. We'll see if my taste buds are in agreement with puerh.
Alucard you will have to let me know how you like the Crimson Lotus teas. I like the Bulang a lot. :D

Dec 5th, '14, 20:09

by stockman » Dec 5th, '14, 20:09

Alucard wrote:Stockman, have you decided on anything?

yes, I have bought a mengku 2005 ripe brick and a 'golden buds' ripe (2009) from mengku as well.

I'm going to try some other mengku cakes to see if I like any of them first, then I will buy something from an other place.

Dec 5th, '14, 20:11

by stockman » Dec 5th, '14, 20:11

Poseidon wrote:
stockman wrote:I would prefer sheng, but if there is any shou with good taste... :mrgreen:
Finding a sheng with that flavor profile is going to be tough. Aged sheng will give some of those notes you want. Its much easier to attain with a shou though.

Here's my reccomendation: http://www.puerhshop.com/index.php?main ... ts_id=1831

I really like that cake.
yes? Can you recommend me any cheap sheng with this flavour notes? (if possible from a 'big factory')

Dec 8th, '14, 08:40

by Poseidon » Dec 8th, '14, 08:40

stockman wrote:
Poseidon wrote:

I really like that cake.
yes? Can you recommend me any cheap sheng with this flavour notes? (if possible from a 'big factory')
I would say that you should look for yiwu factory cakes. Yiwu leaves are usually have the sweet notes you are looking for. I would just get a sheng thats at least 6-8 years old if not older. (This shouldnt be hard to find.) A quick search will bring up lots of options. Youll just have to buy and try my friend!

Dec 8th, '14, 17:08

by stockman » Dec 8th, '14, 17:08

Poseidon wrote:
stockman wrote:
Poseidon wrote:

I really like that cake.
I would say that you should look for yiwu factory cakes. Yiwu leaves are usually have the sweet notes you are looking for. I would just get a sheng thats at least 6-8 years old if not older. (This shouldnt be hard to find.) A quick search will bring up lots of options. Youll just have to buy and try my friend!
thanks!

Dec 8th, '14, 18:19

by drinking_teas » Dec 8th, '14, 18:19

+ Post Reply