Is this one of you guys? 2011 Gu Shu fun

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Dec 18th, '14, 18:13
Scrolling: scrolling

Is this one of you guys? 2011 Gu Shu fun

by Drax » Dec 18th, '14, 18:13

Are one of you guys just pulling my leg....? :D

http://instagram.com/p/ww44hQOw5g/

Dec 18th, '14, 19:37

Re: Is this one of you guys? 2011 Gu Shu fun

by shah82 » Dec 18th, '14, 19:37

Read enough threads on puerh, and you get used to it.

It's normal, Dave.

(Drax is not Dave, just a pop in from Hal3k in my head for generic person)

Dec 18th, '14, 20:56
Vendor Member

by TwoDog2 » Dec 18th, '14, 20:56

shah82 wrote:Read enough threads on puerh, and you get used to it.

It's normal, Dave.
Or come to China. You'll get a lot of indignant:

THIS ISN'T _(INSERT TEA NAME HERE)_ TEA

Dec 18th, '14, 21:22

by puyuan » Dec 18th, '14, 21:22

TwoDog2 wrote:
shah82 wrote:Read enough threads on puerh, and you get used to it.

It's normal, Dave.
Or come to China. You'll get a lot of indignant:

THIS ISN'T _(INSERT TEA NAME HERE)_ TEA

Oh, do I know this.

But I think Drax met the "Hi, care to try this random tea I have here, it this will just cost you a billion dollars" type of crazy.

Dec 18th, '14, 21:36

by shah82 » Dec 18th, '14, 21:36

Fun thing is...I've had a sample of this tea as well.

And yeah. It's a bulang shu, with no possibility of ever tasting like even aged oolongs--got that barnyard funk that Bulang tend to have in shu.

It's just amazing just how much people being wrong will argue with you. They'd tell you your kid's name is Sayyed, and you be like..."I'm not Middle Eastern or South Asian...why would you thi--oh never mind..."

Dec 18th, '14, 22:08

by Drax » Dec 18th, '14, 22:08

:lol:

I guess I've been mostly protected from interacting with the craziness of the internet until now... I typically protect my social media outlets, but I thought for the Instagram one that I would keep it open and public.

I've been enjoying the people who want to "direct message" me, and then the others who are clearly all running businesses (I really enjoyed the person who's account is nothing but pictures of wads of cash... really now).

But this particular person at least has pictures of tea on his account... I guess it's actually been a long time since I've run into this particular type of crazy person... :lol:

Dec 18th, '14, 22:09

by Drax » Dec 18th, '14, 22:09

shah82 wrote:And yeah. It's a bulang shu, with no possibility of ever tasting like even aged oolongs--got that barnyard funk that Bulang tend to have in shu.
Exactly...!! That's why I thought maybe somebody was just making a joke, but... no..... :?

Dec 19th, '14, 09:02

by drinking_teas » Dec 19th, '14, 09:02

aged oolong can taste like puerh - specifically aged Dancong.

Dec 19th, '14, 22:56

by bonescwa » Dec 19th, '14, 22:56

Aged bao zhong tastes like aged puerh

Dec 20th, '14, 00:13

by AdmiralKelvinator » Dec 20th, '14, 00:13

Agreed, I've also had a number of aged oolongs that at first blanch taste like traditionally stored puerh. Mostly just a similar "wet leaf" mustiness, and in the case of oolong tells me it wasn't very carefully stored.

Dec 20th, '14, 11:00

by drinking_teas » Dec 20th, '14, 11:00

AdmiralKelvinator wrote:Agreed, I've also had a number of aged oolongs that at first blanch taste like traditionally stored puerh. Mostly just a similar "wet leaf" mustiness, and in the case of oolong tells me it wasn't very carefully stored.
With aged Dancong it's not really a storage issue it seems - it's just the character of the tea. Many other people have reported on Aged Dancong's similar profile to aged puerh.

Dec 21st, '14, 23:41

by AdmiralKelvinator » Dec 21st, '14, 23:41

drinking_teas wrote:
AdmiralKelvinator wrote:Agreed, I've also had a number of aged oolongs that at first blanch taste like traditionally stored puerh. Mostly just a similar "wet leaf" mustiness, and in the case of oolong tells me it wasn't very carefully stored.
With aged Dancong it's not really a storage issue it seems - it's just the character of the tea. Many other people have reported on Aged Dancong's similar profile to aged puerh.
Very interesting, the only aged Dancong I have has a totally unique profile from pu-erh and indeed other aged oolongs, with a kind of "nutty" finish and no trace of wetness or mustiness at all.

Kinda OT but are there any online retailers offering Aged Dancong that you know of?

Dec 22nd, '14, 00:03

by drinking_teas » Dec 22nd, '14, 00:03

AdmiralKelvinator wrote:
drinking_teas wrote:
Very interesting, the only aged Dancong I have has a totally unique profile from pu-erh and indeed other aged oolongs, with a kind of "nutty" finish and no trace of wetness or mustiness at all.

Kinda OT but are there any online retailers offering Aged Dancong that you know of?
The one I tried was from Camellia Sinensis - camellia-sinensis.com/en/tea/aged/feng-huang-wudong-1980

A better bet would be Tea Habitat, who specializes in Dancong.

Dec 22nd, '14, 14:29

by wyardley » Dec 22nd, '14, 14:29

drinking_teas wrote:
I disagree - I think it's very much related to how the tea was stored, as with most aged oolongs. Of course, the degree of oxidation / roast, and whether or not it's re-roasted at all will also affect the taste. Generally, most Phoenix oolongs I've had (and I've had quite a few) are a low or moderate roast, and low to medium-high oxidation.

If stored in a very dry and sealed environment, dancong will continue to retain a lot of the same flavor profile. My belief is that the more medicinal or pu'er tasting aged oolongs (whether baozhong, dancong, wuyi yancha) will tend to have had some period of more humid or more exposed storage. Some people (myself included) do really like the sour tastes that can develop in that case.

I have heard of people storing dancong in a paper bag or similar for the first 10 years, and then going to a sealed container after that.

+ Post Reply