Awazon Pu-erh

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Jan 18th, '15, 22:35

Awazon Pu-erh

by bellmont » Jan 18th, '15, 22:35

Hey all,

I am interested in placing an order for Pu-erh with Awazon tea (www.pu-erhtea.com).

Has anyone had any recent experience with Awazon?

I can't find much written online about them, and appreciate any experiences you can share about ordering, as well as the quality/value of their pu-erh.

Thanks,

bellmont

Jan 18th, '15, 23:12
Vendor Member

Re: Awazon Pu-erh

by Greenteaguru » Jan 18th, '15, 23:12

I ordered a bunch of samples from them, wasn't impressed TBH, I must say that the samples were all from cakes mid/low end of their line. Can't speak for the more expencive cakes as no samples were available. I did like the ripe aged brick and cake, they were pretty good. Some of the green tea were o.k, stick with the A grades of those. Hope that helps.

Jan 20th, '15, 07:23

by bob » Jan 20th, '15, 07:23

I've ordered from them a few times in the past years and I was quite satisfied. The seller seemed nice, the packaging was simple but effective, and I like the tea (but I am pretty new to puerh).

I've bought:
- 2007 "Meihua" and "Lanhua" cakes
- 2008 "Manjin Ancient Tea"
- 2010 "Manlu Ancient Tea"
- 2011 Awazon "Yiwu Dingjiazhai"
- 2011 Awazon "Yiwu Mahei"

Since those cakes are pretty new I didn't drink them a lot yet, mostly just to sample them. To me they seem a decent tea, with lots of aroma and sweetness, some bitterness/astringency, long and prominent aftertaste and nice looking leaves.

Do note that they offer a lot of autumn cakes, which I think have less durability. For example, last week I tried the 2011 Mahei, and it was quite nice, aromatic and minty/cooling, with strong flowery/sweet aftertaste, I didn't notice much bitterness/astringency until 5th brew (at 25 s), but after the 9th brew (3 min) it was less interesting/intensive and I didn't continue. But I'm not a big fan of multi-day brewing anyway...

I also liked their 2000 ripe brick, it was one of the very few ripe puerhs I tried that had that "minty/cooling" effect in the mouth, I quite like that.

And their 2006 Wild Ancient loose leaves were also very interesting, because I got a bunch of whole dried tea leaves pressed together, obviously hand made. The leaves were mostly whole and surprisingly big (10 cm?) and it was great to see them expand into whole leaves in hot water. The taste was nice, but quite "one-dimensional". I think I still have a small bunch somewhere, I must dig it up...

I hope this helps a little. I would also like to see more info on Awazon teas, there is not much to find around the internet...

Jan 21st, '15, 02:03

by bellmont » Jan 21st, '15, 02:03

Thanks for sharing.

Point taken Greenteaguru. Looking through their samples I see that many were relegated to lower end pu-erh (costing less than $45 a cake). Additionally, with some samples from Awazon being over 60% of the total cake it didn't make much sense why one would not consider purchasing the entire cake, especially when the cost was only a few dollars more. (Having a large sample seems to discount the whole idea of samples in the first place).

Bob, I definitely was considering getting one of the Yuwis, I appreciate your comments on the Mahei. I did not notice that many of their cakes where Autumn harvest, thanks for pointing that out.

My hope was to sample across harvests (as well as quality and source locations) while comparing their label and their non-label offerings. This information doesn't make me feel confident Awazon will be able to do that.

Personally, I do enjoy a good ripe pu-erh, so this aged brick you both mentioned sounds interesting. Though, I am not sure this alone warrants an order from them.

Feb 9th, '15, 03:34

by chittychat » Feb 9th, '15, 03:34

I have bought from Amazon for quite a few years, Puerh, Green and Black teas and overall I am very happy with the teas and service. The black teas are extraordinarily good and price-worthy. The Yunnan White is excellent and from the great selection of Puerhs they offer some are outstanding. I will keep on buying from them and can only recommend this company.

Feb 9th, '15, 17:23

by Exempt » Feb 9th, '15, 17:23

chittychat wrote:I have bought from Amazon for quite a few years, Puerh, Green and Black teas and overall I am very happy with the teas and service. The black teas are extraordinarily good and price-worthy. The Yunnan White is excellent and from the great selection of Puerhs they offer some are outstanding. I will keep on buying from them and can only recommend this company.
There was really no need to revive this thread, especially considering OP was asking about teas made by the awazon company not sold by amazon.com... :roll:

Feb 10th, '15, 03:29

by chittychat » Feb 10th, '15, 03:29

Exempt wrote:
chittychat wrote:I have bought from Amazon for quite a few years, Puerh, Green and Black teas and overall I am very happy with the teas and service. The black teas are extraordinarily good and price-worthy. The Yunnan White is excellent and from the great selection of Puerhs they offer some are outstanding. I will keep on buying from them and can only recommend this company.
There was really no need to revive this thread, especially considering OP was asking about teas made by the awazon company not sold by amazon.com... :roll:
So sorry! Naturally I meant A W A Z O N . My whole family drinks their puerh tea for breakfast. Does amazon.com sell tea?

Feb 10th, '15, 03:33

by BW85 » Feb 10th, '15, 03:33

chittychat wrote: Does amazon.com sell tea?
Believe it or not, yes :lol:

Mar 26th, '15, 13:27

by bellmont » Mar 26th, '15, 13:27

I figured I'd follow up with my experience from Awazon tea. I'd order some ripe and couple raw samples. A few of the ripe samples I ordered (2012 Royal and 2012 Fine) had some major dui wei, very fishy. The aged 2001 cake I ordered was a pretty good ripe, a chocolatieness similar to the 2012 Yongde Blue Label from Yunnan Sourcing, but it's longevity was short (tapered off into a water mass around the fourth - fifth steeping). I have yet to try the two raw samples I got, I will edit this post when I do.

Shipping was really quick, under two weeks, and cheap when compared to Yunnan Sourcing.

Overall, for someone ordering just pu-erh from Awazon I do not think it is worth it.

Mar 28th, '15, 01:45

by tingjunkie » Mar 28th, '15, 01:45

Just make sure you get Pwime shipping on your order.

Apr 6th, '15, 08:30

by gasninja » Apr 6th, '15, 08:30

They have an excellent cheap shu brick from 2000. Hobbes just reviewed it.
http://half-dipper.blogspot.com/2015/03 ... s.html?m=1

+ Post Reply