Wine cooler for pumidor?

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

May 7th, '15, 14:28

Wine cooler for pumidor?

by Bef » May 7th, '15, 14:28

I am starting a (very) small collection of puerh. My appartment is very dry, 25% even at this time of the year when I am not using either the AC nor heating, so some kind of storage solution is a must.

I have spent a lot of time reading the old storage threads on Teachat and reading different websites as well, and came to the conclusion that a mini fridge would be my preferred option. But I don't have much free room here, and I understand that would need one for raw, and another one for ripe... There is no way I could fit 2 mini fridges here, and I wouldn't have enough puerh to fill in the fridges so it would be a waste of space, plus I don't think that storing only a few cakes in a big empty space is a good idea.

I thought about going with a small wine cooler. Some have just enough space for 6 or 9 bottles, so they are very small and would fit easily in my free space. They are available for $30-50 on the web. One detail that I like is that the glass on the door would allow me to see the humidity level without having to open the door every time.

Any thoughts? Is that a good solution(as good as a mini fridge)?

May 7th, '15, 15:01

Re: Wine cooler for pumidor?

by Zacherywolf7 » May 7th, '15, 15:01

I always thought that the temperatures and humidity would never get high enough for ideal puerh storage, because wine needs to be cool (like 50 degrees??)? If that wasn't the case every one would be using these as a pumidor, no?

May 7th, '15, 15:12

by Bef » May 7th, '15, 15:12

Zacherywolf7 wrote:I always thought that the temperatures and humidity would never get high enough for ideal puerh storage, because wine needs to be cool (like 50 degrees??)? If that wasn't the case every one would be using these as a pumidor, no?
For such a cheap wine cooler, there is no humidity control, so you would need to add some kind of device to increase humidity (water bowl, humidifier, etc). I would just leave it unplugged...

May 7th, '15, 18:30

by Zacherywolf7 » May 7th, '15, 18:30

Bef wrote:
Zacherywolf7 wrote:I always thought that the temperatures and humidity would never get high enough for ideal puerh storage, because wine needs to be cool (like 50 degrees??)? If that wasn't the case every one would be using these as a pumidor, no?
For such a cheap wine cooler, there is no humidity control, so you would need to add some kind of device to increase humidity (water bowl, humidifier, etc). I would just leave it unplugged...
ohhhh I see what you mean. i mean if they are cheaper than a mini fridge while catering to your needs size wise I do not see why not

May 7th, '15, 21:24

by mr mopu » May 7th, '15, 21:24

Wine cooler would be fine. You will need a way to add humidity. I use a cigar humidifier device with distilled water. Sheng and shou always stored separate in every discussion/thread I have read. I personally store all my sheng and shou this way. I think if you started a "pumidor" your tea supply would grow. After some time storing, especially sheng you would see a difference if you ran a control. I and others have done blind tastings and the storage does make a difference.

May 8th, '15, 22:21

by Bef » May 8th, '15, 22:21

Zach & mrmopu: Thanks for your replies! Will probably end up trying a small wine cooler, and keep it unplugged, with some kind of automated humidifier.

May 13th, '15, 22:39
Vendor Member

by Greenteaguru » May 13th, '15, 22:39

I have a Husky wine cooler, it's about $160 with variable temp control, serving me very well. FYI

+ Post Reply