I've fallen in love with shou

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Dec 1st, '15, 15:08

I've fallen in love with shou

by Frisbeehead » Dec 1st, '15, 15:08

So I have recently fallen in love (again) with shou pu-erh.

Last spring I ordered a few different samples of pu-erh, as I was still trying to figure out what teas I liked and didn't like. Among the samples I ordered was a bunch of sheng and a couple shou samples. I was excited to try pu-erh for the first time, but was disappointed when I brewed up the sheng and did not fancy the taste all that much. It was more bitter than I usually prefer and the taste itself was sort of overpowering. I tried the shou, which I ended up liking much better, but eventually oolongs became my preference and the pu-erh remained in its containers.

Today I decided to give shou another shot, and opened the sample of Crimson Lotus' 2012 ancient tree bulang shan. As soon as I took my first sip, I regretted all those months of putting off trying pu-erh again. It was awesome. I really liked it, and I ended up trying another sample I had from the same vendor (bulang imperial grade). This one was great too.

Now I am going to have to order a bunch of samples of shou so that I can try more of them and learn more about it. I've been reading recommendations from the threads in the past, and I have a decent understanding of what I should go for. I'm glad I gave it another shot, because I can really see myself exploring this type of tea much further.

That's all, really. I got excited after finding out I really liked shou, because now I have a new type of tea to explore (among the other ones I'm still in the process of exploring...). If anyone has recommendations on some good shou to try to learn about its taste profiles, I'm open to them. I'll probably be getting some samples from various vendors, especially yunnan sourcing, white2tea and crimson lotus. I read this pu-erh section every now and then, and I see a lot of talk about different factories, years, blends like 7562 etc. and I will have to educate myself on what to look for.

Glad I figured this out while it's still winter, because this tea is great for the cold weather.

Dec 1st, '15, 15:48

Re: I've fallen in love with shou

by BW85 » Dec 1st, '15, 15:48

Maybe you should give sheng another chance :D

Dec 1st, '15, 16:18

by debunix » Dec 1st, '15, 16:18

A good shou can be a terrific tea. I love shou for being easy delicious daily tea. I enjoy shengs as well, but I first learned to like puerh--to crave that earthy sweetness--from shous.

I fill my thermos for long afternoons with shou, not sheng, because it just works that way.

(heading downstairs now with a thermos of 2011 YS Shu Hui Run of Bulang)

Dec 1st, '15, 23:10
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Dec 1st, '15, 23:10

Try some shu and sheng brewed together!

Dec 2nd, '15, 15:46

by Jaymo » Dec 2nd, '15, 15:46

Some of my favorites that you might enjoy include:

Dayi Golden Needle White Lotus (this one has gotten pretty pricey for shou though.)

2004 Old Youle brick from puerhshop (Cheap, low grade material. Not super complex, but strong, dark, and buttery with thick body)

I've enjoyed various samples from Mandala as well, but I don't remember which offhand. Might be worth checking out if you haven't.
Last edited by Jaymo on Dec 16th, '15, 15:21, edited 2 times in total.

Dec 2nd, '15, 16:05

by .m. » Dec 2nd, '15, 16:05

i've been quite enjoying a 2009 7452

Dec 2nd, '15, 18:18

by debunix » Dec 2nd, '15, 18:18

Jaymo wrote:Some of my favorites that you might enjoy include:

Dayi Golden Needle White Lotus (this one has gotten pretty pricey for shu though.)
+1

The 2011 Hui Run Shu of Bulang is still available from Yunnan Sourcing at $40/375 g beeng.

But my other favorite 2009 Lao Cha Tou (I'm hoarding several bricks from Norbu, and I think YS had a very similar offering) is gone from both sites. I haven't tried the versions from YS from later years, but have no reason to think they'd disappoint.

Dec 2nd, '15, 18:21

by mr mopu » Dec 2nd, '15, 18:21

Jaymo wrote:Some of my favorites that you might enjoy include:

Dayi Golden Needle White Lotus (this one has gotten pretty pricey for shu though.)

2004 Old Youle brick from puerhshop (Cheap, low grade amterial. Not super complex, but strong, dark, and buttery with thick body)

I've enjoyed various samples from Mandala as well, but I don't remember which offhand. Might be worth checking out if you haven't.
I second the Youle deep dark and a big brick for the money. Easy everyday cheap shou.

Dec 4th, '15, 10:20

by laura99 » Dec 4th, '15, 10:20

debunix wrote: But my other favorite 2009 Lao Cha Tou (I'm hoarding several bricks from Norbu, and I think YS had a very similar offering) is gone from both sites. I haven't tried the versions from YS from later years, but have no reason to think they'd disappoint.
I ran out of the Norbu 2009 Lao Cha Tou, and really regret not stocking up. I have purchased a couple others and have not found anything to quite match up to its taste.

Dec 5th, '15, 02:17

by Jaymo » Dec 5th, '15, 02:17

mr mopu wrote: I second the Youle deep dark and a big brick for the money. Easy everyday cheap shou.
Isn't the color great on it? Deep ruby red, then SUPER dark after a couple steeps!

Dec 5th, '15, 10:29

by mr mopu » Dec 5th, '15, 10:29

Jaymo wrote:
mr mopu wrote: I second the Youle deep dark and a big brick for the money. Easy everyday cheap shou.
Isn't the color great on it? Deep ruby red, then SUPER dark after a couple steeps!
That sums it up well.

Dec 9th, '15, 02:56

by chin » Dec 9th, '15, 02:56

laura99 wrote:
debunix wrote: But my other favorite 2009 Lao Cha Tou (I'm hoarding several bricks from Norbu, and I think YS had a very similar offering) is gone from both sites. I haven't tried the versions from YS from later years, but have no reason to think they'd disappoint.
I ran out of the Norbu 2009 Lao Cha Tou, and really regret not stocking up. I have purchased a couple others and have not found anything to quite match up to its taste.
Lao Cha Tou is one of the best shou puerh.

Dec 9th, '15, 11:14

by BioHorn » Dec 9th, '15, 11:14

http://www.teachat.com/viewtopic.php?p=209897
Lao cha tou has seen some attention on previous posts.

Chin, please tell us more about the lao cha tou you like.

Dec 13th, '15, 14:08

by Frisbeehead » Dec 13th, '15, 14:08

Thanks for all of the suggestions!

I've looked around a bit for the Lao Cha Tou shou, and Yunnan Sourcing has a few different ones. Norbu doesn't seem to have any.

YS has a 2012 250g Lao Cha Tou brick here: http://www.yunnansourcing.us/store/inde ... er=product

As well as a 2014 one. They are out of stock of the 2010 unfortunately.

I'll have to check Tea Urchin and a bunch of other shops to see what else I can find. For now I might go for the Lao Cha Tou from 2012 from Yunnan Sourcing, and maybe get some other samples with it.

EDIT: Debunix, thanks for the suggestions. I found the Hui Run from 2011 on Yunnan Sourcing, I may order a cake of that as well.

Dec 13th, '15, 20:33

by BioHorn » Dec 13th, '15, 20:33

Check out Puerhlife's latest post:

http://www.teachat.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=21176

+ Post Reply