Good jujube/plum shu?

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Jan 22nd, '16, 22:57
Vendor Member

Good jujube/plum shu?

by jayinhk » Jan 22nd, '16, 22:57

Bought some 90s CNNP 7581 recently and I really like the taste profile. Planning on heading up to Shenzhen next week--anyone have any suggestions on good shu (brick or bing) with a similar taste profile? I may just stock up on Guangdong-stored 7581, but if anyone has other suggestions, let me know!

Jan 22nd, '16, 23:36
Vendor Member

Re: Good jujube/plum shu?

by jayinhk » Jan 22nd, '16, 23:36

The tea market right across the border:

http://www.nicolastang.com/tea/shenzhen/index.html

Jan 24th, '16, 06:38
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Jan 24th, '16, 06:38

Just went to the tea market here in Shenzhen and all the 7581 I tried tasted horrible! Fake tea all around. I'll stick to buying online or in Taiwan I think...yeesh!

Jan 24th, '16, 09:33
Scrolling: scrolling

by Drax » Jan 24th, '16, 09:33

Ugh, sorry to hear that.... it's an interesting state of affairs when your best options are online? :D

Jan 24th, '16, 10:05
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Jan 24th, '16, 10:05

Will see what prices in HK are like tomorrow, but I don't want a traditionally stored 7581!

This tea market was something else...hundreds of tongs of crap tea!

May 26th, '16, 23:11

Re: RE: Good jujube/plum shu?

by Lucid_Om » May 26th, '16, 23:11

jayinhk wrote:Bought some 90s CNNP 7581 recently and I really like the taste profile. Planning on heading up to Shenzhen next week--anyone have any suggestions on good shu (brick or bing) with a similar taste profile? I may just stock up on Guangdong-stored 7581, but if anyone has other suggestions, let me know!
Where did you pick up your 90s CNNP 7581 from? I'd love to try it.

May 26th, '16, 23:14
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » May 26th, '16, 23:14

Lucid_Om, from a family-owned tea store in Taipei. I'm going to pick up whatever they have left when I get back to Taipei as the storage was perfect!

As for the tea market in Shenzhen, it appears they were trying to fake HK traditional storage (BADLY). There's an art to traditional storage and whoever is aging tea up there is more of a butcher than an artist. Either that or they were really selling cheap Guizhou tea that had been pile fermented. Yeesh! I checked out maybe six stores at the market, but there are tons I didn't check out there. I'll have to go back some time.

May 27th, '16, 08:28

by Lucid_Om » May 27th, '16, 08:28

jayinhk wrote:Lucid_Om, from a family-owned tea store in Taipei. I'm going to pick up whatever they have left when I get back to Taipei as the storage was perfect!

As for the tea market in Shenzhen, it appears they were trying to fake HK traditional storage (BADLY). There's an art to traditional storage and whoever is aging tea up there is more of a butcher than an artist. Either that or they were really selling cheap Guizhou tea that had been pile fermented. Yeesh! I checked out maybe six stores at the market, but there are tons I didn't check out there. I'll have to go back some time.
I know that I'm expected to be jealous of millionaires traveling about in a private plane with nice cars and gorgeous women, but I have to say I'd much rather be going about Asia as you do on an endless and amazing tea adventure. :mrgreen: Good tea and bad, just having that much tea in reach all the time would be nothing short of awesome! :D
Definitely keep me in mind if they happen to have enough to share! :lol:

May 27th, '16, 08:34
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » May 27th, '16, 08:34

Lucid_Om wrote:
jayinhk wrote:Lucid_Om, from a family-owned tea store in Taipei. I'm going to pick up whatever they have left when I get back to Taipei as the storage was perfect!

I know that I'm expected to be jealous of millionaires traveling about in a private plane with nice cars and gorgeous women, but I have to say I'd much rather be going about Asia as you do on an endless and amazing tea adventure. :mrgreen: Good tea and bad, just having that much tea in reach all the time would be nothing short of awesome! :D
Definitely keep me in mind if they happen to have enough to share! :lol:
I guess I do have it good. :D I'll be in Yunnan in about two weeks. Going to try and find some older 7581 in the Menghai area (more humid), but prices in China tend to be higher for aged pu erh because of the high demand. I'm hoping the dealer in Taipei doesn't sell those bricks as the tea is so good I'm regretting not buying all of the bricks when I had the chance! They only had another 3-4 on the shelf, and some 2007 or so 7581 that might be good too. I have about 20 7581 bricks aging away, but it looks like they need 10-20 years to be as good as the Taiwanese-aged stuff I picked up! No shortage of 7581 in Taiwan.

I haven't come across a dry storage 7581 in HK yet--just traditional storage, and so wet I can't tell it was 7581 when I drink it!

+ Post Reply