Interested in a Puerhshop tasting?

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Apr 13th, '08, 15:09

Greeting from Puerh Shop

by Jim Liu » Apr 13th, '08, 15:09

Hi, everyone;

I am humbled after reading this. MarshalN wrote to me a few minutes ago on this thread. Back in last week, we were exchanging emails on an Oolong tea since I was seeking his opinion on one product I would like to try.

On April 10th, he suggested:

perhaps if you organize a few sample packs to sell at a slight discount -- say, group five or six samples together and make it a "tasting set".

I thought it's a great idea, so I posted six sets of 'tasting samples' on the Puerh Shop website on April 10th. Thanks, MarshalN. Now it's like it caught fire.

Everything was done in a hurry. And every tasting set could fit into a flat rate envelop except 'Taste of Mellowness', so the shipping charge would be $5.60 for USA and $ 10 for Canada, as for the rest of world $ 12.

IMHO I would recommend you start to try 'Pride of Menghai' or 'Spirit of Yiwu' first. 'Year of Green Pu-erh' is not a well thought out kit, because it is not representative.

Of course, you guys call the shot!

Apr 13th, '08, 17:19
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Apr 13th, '08, 17:19

I was impressed with this post by Puerhshop...to be honest, when I saw the user name, I truly expected a link laden post. The author showed restraint and respect for the forum...and I respect the author for that.

This has pushed me even closer to joining the tasting...it is soooo tempting. I have purposely been avoiding reading this topic for fear of being drawn in.

Apr 14th, '08, 00:44

by Wesli » Apr 14th, '08, 00:44

Jim! It's good to see you here. I hope that you might come check out the tasting thread once it's up, and share some of your thoughts. Thanks for organizing the kits!

Chip, you really should join! We've got people coming from all levels. From the long-timers to the never-before-drinkers! Plus only $12 and a flat rate shipping charge! Come to the dark side Chip!

Apr 15th, '08, 15:35

by Trioxin » Apr 15th, '08, 15:35

I received an email back from Scott (Yunnan Sourcing) today with his recommendations.

some other $15 and under teas I recommend:

2008 Menghai Tea Factory * 7542 * Raw Pu-erh Tea cake

2008 * Xiaguan "Golden 8100" Raw Pu-erh tea cake * 357g

2006 Jingmai Mountain Raw Pu-erh Tea cake * 007 blend

2006 Haiwan Tea Factory * Lao Tong Zhi Aromatic cake

2007 Mengku * Qing Gang "Green Mountain" Raw Pu-erh tea

2007 Mengku * Mengku Green Cake * Raw Pu-erh tea 400g

Time to figure out what I want and start ordering. Damn I spend a lot of money on tea.

Apr 15th, '08, 17:07

by Salsero » Apr 15th, '08, 17:07

Well, if you tell me what you order, I will place a duplicate order, and others may want to try a couple things as well, esp after we start telling them how great it is. :wink:

Apr 15th, '08, 23:43

by Trioxin » Apr 15th, '08, 23:43

Salsero wrote:Well, if you tell me what you order, I will place a duplicate order, and others may want to try a couple things as well, esp after we start telling them how great it is. :wink:
Well... I'm going to be getting 2007 Mengku * Mu Ye Chun * 001 * Raw Tea Cake of Yongde off a separate recommendation of some more expensive ones, then I think I may order the 2008 Menghai Tea Factory * 7542 *, 2008 * Xiaguan "Golden 8100", and the 2007 Mengku * Mengku Green Cake * Raw Pu-erh tea cake. May have to narrow that down a bit.

Along with all the other tea I've ordered and the new china, and movies I've purchased,... I'm going to be really broke this month. Can't take it with ya I suppose.

Apr 15th, '08, 23:44

by scotty X » Apr 15th, '08, 23:44

i love the idea and spirit of this thread? tasting? experiment? indecency!

so i take it that the consensus is to start with the year of green puerh, likely followed by taste of mellowness? i'm excited to get this underway

Apr 15th, '08, 23:49

by Salsero » Apr 15th, '08, 23:49

scotty X wrote: i take it that the consensus is to start with the year of green puerh, likely followed by taste of mellowness? i'm excited to get this underway
It is underway, bro. The most fun I've had this year. wOOt!

Apr 15th, '08, 23:51

by Trioxin » Apr 15th, '08, 23:51

Salsero wrote:It is underway, bro. The most fun I've had this year. wOOt!
You need to get out more yo.

Apr 15th, '08, 23:54

by Salsero » Apr 15th, '08, 23:54

Trioxin wrote:May have to narrow that down a bit...Along with all the other tea I've ordered and the new china, and movies I've purchased,... I'm going to be really broke this month. Can't take it with ya I suppose.
But you might want some of it before you go!

Take it easy, you don't need all the tea at once. Maybe start with the two samplers from Puerh shop, and order from Scott in a month or two. Or just order two bings from Scott and get to know them really well, rather than scatter gun.

Whatever you do, let me know what and I will order the same.

(Boy it is so hard not to say button sometimes.)
Trioxin wrote:You need to get out more yo.
Yeppers! LOL
Last edited by Salsero on Apr 15th, '08, 23:56, edited 1 time in total.

Apr 16th, '08, 00:02

by Trioxin » Apr 16th, '08, 00:02

Salsero wrote:
Trioxin wrote:May have to narrow that down a bit...Along with all the other tea I've ordered and the new china, and movies I've purchased,... I'm going to be really broke this month. Can't take it with ya I suppose.
But you might want some of it before you go!

Take it easy, you don't need all the tea at once. Maybe start with the two samplers from Puerh shop, and order from Scott in a month or two. Or just order two bings from Scott and get to know them really well, rather than scatter gun.

Whatever you do, let me know what and I will order the same.

(Boy it is so hard not to say button sometimes.)
Trioxin wrote:You need to get out more yo.
Yeppers! LOL
I'm a bit obsessive compulsive. You should see my movie collection. Think I am going to calm down a bit and just order the 2007 Mengku * Mu Ye Chun * 001 * and the Xiaguan. I'll hold off on the sampler for a bit until we get to "Spirit of Yiwu". Not too big of a sample fan. Half the fun is fondling the cakes.

Apr 16th, '08, 00:12

by Salsero » Apr 16th, '08, 00:12

Trioxin wrote: Half the fun is fondling the cakes.
I'm with you on that one. I just love those cakes. Let me know when you push the thingy.

Apr 16th, '08, 00:24

by Trioxin » Apr 16th, '08, 00:24

Hey Sal, do any of the cakes look interesting to you? Is there anything your looking forward to trying?

Apr 16th, '08, 00:50

by Salsero » Apr 16th, '08, 00:50

First, I would FO SHO pay more attention to what scott says than anything about to follow.

I have a habit of keeping a tea shopping list. The purpose of the list is actually to get the tea out of my mind, not so much to get it into my house. I find that by writing it down, I can have that shudder of pleasure (the petit mort, as the French would have it) without the responsibilities that inevitably follow an actual purchase. No mailman at the door, no storage issues, no credit card bill, no pressure to taste, no wondering when the hell you are going to drink ALL THAT TEA, no explaining to others, self or God, and no STDs. I have to say that in virtually every way I find it more satisfactory than the traditional form of transaction. And I intend to continue along these lines for the rest of my tea career.

With that warning in mind, here is a "shopping list" (read prOn mag) I have for YSLLC:
  • 2007 Guoyan * Youle Mountain Wild Arbor Raw Cake * 400g
    2005 * Wild Tree Raw Pu-erh tea brick of Dehong * 500g
    2005 * Gong Ting Tribute Ripe Pu-erh Mini Tea Cake 100g (soupnoodles recommends this shou, LJ 04/13/07)
    2006 Haiwan "tea king" shupu brick (Hobbes suggests in comments to Bill’s 04/21/07 post)
    Premium Anxi Se Zhong Oolong Tea, Fall 2006
    2006 Tian Xia Old Tea Horse Road Ripe shu
This stuff has been on this list, some of it maybe for a year. I have placed several orders prolly in that time with Scott and these things are still on the list. Most of it, I have no idea why it's there (usually something I read). It is probably all more expensive than what I had in mind for the current event, but ... I could order some of it if I start thinking about it, and very well might. Some of it may not even be available. The thing is, however, I have not had sterling luck with ordering things according to what my TEA HEROS have liked. It has NEVER been as good as it sounds. BBB could be an exception to that, but he doesn't give off a lot of recommendations. Also, our TeaChat group, believe it or not, are very reliable in their assessments. Maybe it's because we are at the same level of learning.

Sometimes a long answer is less than no answer, but there it is. My door is always open should you require further assistance.

Apr 16th, '08, 01:21

by Trioxin » Apr 16th, '08, 01:21

Salsero wrote:First, I would FO SHO pay more attention to what scott says than anything about to follow.

I have a habit of keeping a tea shopping list. The purpose of the list is actually to get the tea out of my mind, not so much to get it into my house. I find that by writing it down, I can have that shudder of pleasure (the petit mort, as the French would have it) without the responsibilities that inevitably follow an actual purchase. No mailman at the door, no storage issues, no credit card bill, no pressure to taste, no wondering when the hell you are going to drink ALL THAT TEA, no explaining to others, self or God, and no STDs. I have to say that in virtually every way I find it more satisfactory than the traditional form of transaction. And I intend to continue along these lines for the rest of my tea career.

With that warning in mind, here is a "shopping list" (read prOn mag) I have for YSLLC:
  • 2007 Guoyan * Youle Mountain Wild Arbor Raw Cake * 400g
    2005 * Wild Tree Raw Pu-erh tea brick of Dehong * 500g
    2005 * Gong Ting Tribute Ripe Pu-erh Mini Tea Cake 100g (soupnoodles recommends this shou, LJ 04/13/07)
    2006 Haiwan "tea king" shupu brick (Hobbes suggests in comments to Bill’s 04/21/07 post)
    Premium Anxi Se Zhong Oolong Tea, Fall 2006
    2006 Tian Xia Old Tea Horse Road Ripe shu
This stuff has been on this list, some of it maybe for a year. I have placed several orders prolly in that time with Scott and these things are still on the list. Most of it, I have no idea why it's there (usually something I read). It is probably all more expensive than what I had in mind for the current event, but ... I could order some of it if I start thinking about it, and very well might. Some of it may not even be available. The thing is, however, I have not had sterling luck with ordering things according to what my TEA HEROS have liked. It has NEVER been as good as it sounds. BBB could be an exception to that, but he doesn't give off a lot of recommendations. Also, our TeaChat group, believe it or not, are very reliable in their assessments. Maybe it's because we are at the same level of learning.

Sometimes a long answer is less than no answer, but there it is. My door is always open should you require further assistance.
I seem to find enjoyment in just about anything I purchase. Even this "gold medal awarded" cake full of wild ancient tea tree stems I'm drinking right now. Course, It could be the Hydrocodone helping out with my enjoyment. Not sure why I worry so much about recommendations.

+ Post Reply