Puerhshop Tasting Group's "Year of Green Pu-erh"

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

May 15th, '08, 19:40

2007 Mengsa Arbor Pu-erh Tea Cake

by insanitylater » May 15th, '08, 19:40

i'm not quite sure how much of the 10 grams i ended up using (sal sent it :D) i kept taking some out and putting more in but i ended up with some tea i really enjoyed. the times may be a little off because i didn't really sit and count or anything. i didn't rinse either

boiled water and let it sit for a few seconds

25 - really light and reminded me of the liu an that dizzwave sent me
30 - stronger tasting but not terrible. maybe could have made this one shorter. i did notice a hint of a fruit that was kind of peachy ? or it could be the apricot sal found
20 - didn't think about it too much. noticed it was particularly sweet
60 - still tasty

i infused it a few more times since i'm the kind of person who wants to wait until all the flavor is gone.
it's probably not too much of a surprise but i have noticed i like shengs a lot more than shu's

May 21st, '08, 16:53

2004 CNNP Old Tree Green Pu-erh Tea Cake

by xerarch » May 21st, '08, 16:53

I didn't buy the Year of Green Puerh tasting kit, because my encounters with young sheng haven't been happy ones. However, I have sampled the 2004 CNNP Old Tree, so I dug out my notes:

6g in 6 oz gaiwan, 1 rinse.

In/out, then 20s, 30s. Golden amber, noticeably drying. Mild. A subtle sweetness, almost fruity? Continued with 20s, 30s, 1m.

On the one hand, no bitterness or astringency -- on the other hand: boring.

May 21st, '08, 17:21
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: 2004 CNNP Old Tree Green Pu-erh Tea Cake

by Salsero » May 21st, '08, 17:21

xerarch wrote:On the one hand, no bitterness or astringency -- on the other hand: boring.
Sometimes the truth is harsh! Thanks for sharing your notes.

May 22nd, '08, 01:03

Year of green samples

by RemedialLogic » May 22nd, '08, 01:03

I have a good sized portion of the 07 feet of crab sample left over if anyone would like to try it, i don't think i'll ever get around to finishing it so why let it go to waste.

I also have up for grabs half of the yinhao toucha and a good size chunk of the old banzhang roughly around maybe. . . 8 to 10 grams? first come first serve. :D

May 22nd, '08, 10:49

by Beidao » May 22nd, '08, 10:49

RemedialLogic: I'd be glad to taste those pu's that I've only read about, but I live in Far far away and I understand if you don't want to pay the shipping. So if you want to send it to someone else, no hard feelings at all!
The noise comes from the other side of the mirror

May 22nd, '08, 11:23

by silverneedles » May 22nd, '08, 11:23

Beidao: you're so cute !!! :D
Priority Mail® International Flat-Rate Envelope 6 - 10 Days $11.95 to sweden... doesn't puerhshop mail international?

May 22nd, '08, 12:25

2007 Mengsa Arbor Pu-erh Tea Cake

by insanitylater » May 22nd, '08, 12:25

i gave this another try the other day and while i thought it was good it seemed to die out fairly quickly for me. it's a good drinkable tea for the low price but i don't think it's something that would necessarily be worth aging

again i don't have the experience or knowledge that you guys have but it's just what i thought

May 22nd, '08, 13:24

by Beidao » May 22nd, '08, 13:24

silverneedles wrote:Beidao: you're so cute !!! :D
:shock: :oops: :wink:
silverneedles wrote:Priority Mail® International Flat-Rate Envelope 6 - 10 Days $11.95 to sweden... doesn't puerhshop mail international?
They do, but I dunno if RemedialLogic does. I will buy from Puershop one day, I will. When the moon sinks yonder in the sycamore tree...

May 22nd, '08, 15:40

Year of the Green Samples

by RemedialLogic » May 22nd, '08, 15:40

Beidao: I'll ship international, PM or email the details and it'll be in the mail.

That leaves 2 samples of the 07 Feet of crab, 1 small sample of the Banzhang and 1/4 of the 50 gr yinhao tuo

P.S. I have a few other samples from puerh shop not in the year of the Green kit if anyone is interested let me know.

May 31st, '08, 21:06

by towerofdabble » May 31st, '08, 21:06

There is some information on Nepalese folk medicine uses of Viscum articulatum Burm. f. here.

And here's a pic of the vine from an Australian sample, found growing on melaleuca, a genus which interestingly includes Melaleuca alternifolia, the source of "tea tree oil" (not related to Camelia sinensis). Anyway, the vines really do look like crab legs.

May 31st, '08, 22:25

by Salsero » May 31st, '08, 22:25

towerofdabble wrote:There is some information on Nepalese folk medicine uses of Viscum articulatum Burm. f.
Wow, this thread is really coming up with a lot of information on this tea! Thanks Towerofdabble for digging this up and sharing it.

Jun 1st, '08, 03:28

by tenuki » Jun 1st, '08, 03:28

Salsero wrote:
towerofdabble wrote:There is some information on Nepalese folk medicine uses of Viscum articulatum Burm. f.
Wow, this thread is really coming up with a lot of information on this tea! Thanks Towerofdabble for digging this up and sharing it.

Ya, and really cool user name too dabble! Thanks for playing!
Do something different, something different will happen. ( Gong Fu Garden )

Jun 5th, '08, 20:25

by Ron Gilmour » Jun 5th, '08, 20:25

Thank you, Dabble, for helping us to clear up the "feet of crab" mystery. Call me a wimp, but I'm not drinking that stuff! Just tea for me.

Jun 5th, '08, 21:09

by Salsero » Jun 5th, '08, 21:09

Ron Gilmour wrote:Thank you, Dabble, for helping us to clear up the "feet of crab" mystery. Call me a wimp, but I'm not drinking that stuff! Just tea for me.
Well, I'm pretty much with you on that, Ron. There's too much other tea to drink. Maybe I'll go back to it some day, but there's no real motivation to do so.

Jul 7th, '08, 20:30

by augie » Jul 7th, '08, 20:30

Greetings Pu Heads. . . I am sitting at my computer contemplating life over a plate of mac & cheese and a cup of Wuyi. This is the night I will get more than 4 hours of sleep.

My ratings were pretty much in line with what Salsero posted for some others. I just can't get into Sheng (raw) pu ehr. I still have a raw cake in my pantry, hoping for improvement with aging. I'm not giving up. 1 year ago I thought I liked sheng. Today it's the opposite. I am just not into these green samples.

Anyway, if anyone is interested, I will gladly ship these to you UPS if you're contiguous US. I'm shipping to the first person who PMs me in the CUS. "J"nor I can see drinking something we don't care for & I hate tossing it. If you're outside the US I will consider depending on how much shipping is. :shock:

I did not touch Feet of Crab -- even before I found out of it's origin. The name was just too weird, even if it was a translation thing. Everything else I have brewed 1-2 portions for 2 people. This just wasn't for me & I am sticking to cooked for now.

Cheers -- B.

+ Post Reply