Puerhshop Tasting Group's "Pride of Menghai""

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Aug 20th, '08, 16:42
Scrolling: scrolling

by Dizzwave » Aug 20th, '08, 16:42

Salsero wrote:I have been pretty happy with virtually any sheng brewed Euro style. Gong fu is the acid test, but Euro gives the "also rans" a useful niche to fill.
Wow.... I did not know what "also rans" meant until I just googled it now. Very cool. :) But -- even more important, what is Euro style? If you mean long-brewing, well.... I haven't had the best results with that, so I'm probably doing it wrong.

Aug 20th, '08, 17:21

by Salsero » Aug 20th, '08, 17:21

Dizzwave wrote: what is Euro style?
I guess "also rans" is a dated phrase. Sorry.

My (standard disclaimers apply) baseline version of Euro brewing is 2.5 gr leaf to 6 oz water for 2 or 3 minutes. The time and leaf are very variable, of course, but when I don't know what to do, that's where I start. I usually wind up using more leaf for some teas, like Dian Hong, but virtually never use less.

If you start reducing leaf, then you are moving toward "grandfather" aka "glass" brewing, a technique more suitable for Chinese greens and maybe light oolongs.

And then there's Proinsias' technique for sort of gong fu-ing greens. This technique is best learned from a mysterious woman of the East, if available. If not, the Scot will have to suffice.

Aug 20th, '08, 17:57

by Dizzwave » Aug 20th, '08, 17:57

Wow, there is so much to learn! That is the neverendlingly fun thing about tea.
Cool links..... I am now becoming interested in Chinese greens again.... Gotta try the dancing leaves. :)

+ Post Reply