Tea Humidor

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Jul 15th, '08, 23:15
Scrolling: scrolling

by Salsero » Jul 15th, '08, 23:15

The best way to know the humidity in a given location is to get a cheap hygrometer from ebay or a cigar store. There's no sense in guessing.

Florida, BTW, has a wonderfu climate for aging pu. It's humid and warm most of the year. The only thing is, I'm not giving up my AC for the benefit of my pu, and air conditioning -- like heating -- makes the indoor humidity very different from the outdoor humidity. I suppose I could store my pu outdoors and continue to live indoors myself, but who knows what critters would get into my pu out there. I would have too much separation anxiety.

As I read it, the consensus seems to be that heat is not as important for aging pu as humidity, Warm coastal climates are where the humidity is high and where pu lovers have traditionally felt the best old sheng comes from. On the other hand, styles change so it is possible that ten years from now we will all be extolling the virtues of dry stored puerh from Las Vegas.

Jul 15th, '08, 23:18

by heavydoom » Jul 15th, '08, 23:18

wouldn't it be nice to have a sauna in one's home? or take the pu to the gym. most gyms have saunas. :lol:

Jul 15th, '08, 23:58

by hop_goblin » Jul 15th, '08, 23:58

heavydoom wrote:wouldn't it be nice to have a sauna in one's home? or take the pu to the gym. most gyms have saunas. :lol:

:mrgreen:

Jul 16th, '08, 09:12

by hop_goblin » Jul 16th, '08, 09:12

Salsero wrote:The best way to know the humidity in a given location is to get a cheap hygrometer from ebay or a cigar store. There's no sense in guessing.

Florida, BTW, has a wonderfu climate for aging pu. It's humid and warm most of the year. The only thing is, I'm not giving up my AC for the benefit of my pu, and air conditioning -- like heating -- makes the indoor humidity very different from the outdoor humidity. I suppose I could store my pu outdoors and continue to live indoors myself, but who knows what critters would get into my pu out there. I would have too much separation anxiety.

As I read it, the consensus seems to be that heat is not as important for aging pu as humidity, Warm coastal climates are where the humidity is high and where pu lovers have traditionally felt the best old sheng comes from. On the other hand, styles change so it is possible that ten years from now we will all be extolling the virtues of dry stored puerh from Las Vegas.
Sal, Guang of HouDe suggests that although his AC is on most of the time, his beengs are aging quite well in the upper level of his house. I read it in his blog somewhere when he was commenting on the Xi-Zhi Hao. Like FL, Houston aslo is quite muggy. :D

Dec 17th, '08, 22:58

by exny1 » Dec 17th, '08, 22:58

Hi All, I am new to Pu-erh, but not Tea. I have been reading all the posts on Pu-erh and I have bought some tea from Scott and he has been extremely helpful in explaining and helping me. But I did not know about the humidity factor and with living in California, I am now a bit worried.

Can you give me some Tips on where and how to store in CA. We do use a Humidifier to add moisture to the air, but it is used rarely, only when it is extremely dry

Thanks for the help

Amy

Dec 17th, '08, 23:28

by PolyhymnianMuse » Dec 17th, '08, 23:28

exny1 wrote:Hi All, I am new to Pu-erh, but not Tea. I have been reading all the posts on Pu-erh and I have bought some tea from Scott and he has been extremely helpful in explaining and helping me. But I did not know about the humidity factor and with living in California, I am now a bit worried.

Can you give me some Tips on where and how to store in CA. We do use a Humidifier to add moisture to the air, but it is used rarely, only when it is extremely dry

Thanks for the help

Amy
Fear not, humidity (controlled to a certain extent) is the best thing a pu cake can have. The only thing you have to worry about is an very wet environment where mold (the bad kind) can form and grow and on your cakes. Of course, wesli can give you some ideas on what its like to drink such pu :lol:

Dec 18th, '08, 15:06

by shogun89 » Dec 18th, '08, 15:06

You are very fortunate to have a humid climate. Most of us here have been concerned with our lack of humidity for a while now. Just keep you humidity at about 70% and your golden.

+ Post Reply