2003 Keyixing Yiwu Cake

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Postby shogun89 » Oct 22nd, '08, 21:30

I am actually currently sipping the '05 Menghai 7542! The Keyixing is a very light tea, It is sweet, balanced and has a good texture but if you want a vicious tea with lots of flavor then its not for you. Personally I like the 7542 more.
shogun89

Postby zacstill » Oct 23rd, '08, 00:01

heavydoom wrote:but how much pu did you use and how long did you steep it for??

I'm approximating about 6 grams. It filled my pot ~3/4 full when the leaves expanded fully, and was a little less than 1/3 of the 20g sample. I used a larger amt the time before, next time I will try a smaller amt. My pot is a ~150ml thick-walled squat yixing.

I steeped around 15s initially to 1.5min at the end using a timer program called cuppa. Two ~5-10s rinses in the beginning (depending on if you include pour time).

Any advice on brewing or is this about right? Should I skip the second rinse?
zacstill

Re: 03 Keyixing Yiwu Pu-erh Tea Cake

Postby hop_goblin » Oct 23rd, '08, 02:08

Jeremy wrote:I dont know if it was the sample I got, or just my taste, but I really didnt enjoy this one. Im gonna bust out the rest of the sample and try again tomorrow in work. Granted I dont have the best water there, but I also tried at home and I thought it wasnt unpleasant, but lacked anything special. IMHO I would not buy a cake of this.

Ill give the sample one more try tomorrow though.

Thanks for the info

Hey Jeremy, Just remember that tea is a personal affair. If you don't like it, and someone else does, who cares. You're the one that has to drink it.
hop_goblin

Postby Jeremy » Oct 23rd, '08, 12:54

Oh , please do not take my last post as being too harsh. I was merely trying to express my own feelings about this one. I fully understand that tea is a very subjective experience.

That being said, I retried it this morning and I agree with the comments. It is a very light tea. What is remarkable is there is no bitterness whatsoever, I used at least 6+ grams of tea in a 150ML pot. Not until I started doing 30s + steeps did it get a little bitter.

Yes, it is also very well balanced. My own taste is for a tea that has a little more kick.

Thanks, and sorry if I came off too opinionated. :-)

J
Jeremy

Postby Salsero » Oct 23rd, '08, 13:03

Jeremy wrote: What is remarkable is there is no bitterness whatsoever
This tea is more often suggested as a good tea for beginners than as a great tea for experienced puerh drinkers. I think that is how it got its start in TeaChat: BBB included it in a list of pu that might be good for beginners, was available in sample size, and that didn't require ordering from China.
Last edited by Salsero on Oct 23rd, '08, 13:08, edited 1 time in total.
Salsero

Postby hop_goblin » Oct 23rd, '08, 13:03

Jeremy wrote:Oh , please do not take my last post as being too harsh. I was merely trying to express my own feelings about this one. I fully understand that tea is a very subjective experience.

That being said, I retried it this morning and I agree with the comments. It is a very light tea. What is remarkable is there is no bitterness whatsoever, I used at least 6+ grams of tea in a 150ML pot. Not until I started doing 30s + steeps did it get a little bitter.

Yes, it is also very well balanced. My own taste is for a tea that has a little more kick.

Thanks, and sorry if I came off too opinionated. :-)

J

Never feel bad about being opinionated. It wouldn't be a forum otherwise! :P
hop_goblin

Postby tony shlongini » Oct 23rd, '08, 13:50

shogun89 wrote:I am actually currently sipping the '05 Menghai 7542! The Keyixing is a very light tea, It is sweet, balanced and has a good texture but if you want a vicious tea with lots of flavor then its not for you. Personally I like the 7542 more.

If that was the one I contributed, glad to hear you enjoyed it. I noticed that Jim at PS lowered the price back down to <$30, and I'm thinking of getting another to lay down.
tony shlongini

Postby tenuki » Oct 29th, '08, 01:33

Another vote for the 2005 Ming-Yuan Hao Yi-Wu Wild Old Tree Cake from Hou De. Tasty cake, good qi, and strong tea base. I personally don't think the 2003 Keyixing is near as good, but I'm rather picky and my taste buds are, well, _my_ taste buds.
tenuki

Postby Sydney » Oct 31st, '08, 19:29

tenuki wrote:Another vote for the 2005 Ming-Yuan Hao Yi-Wu Wild Old Tree Cake from Hou De. Tasty cake, good qi, and strong tea base. I personally don't think the 2003 Keyixing is near as good, but I'm rather picky and my taste buds are, well, _my_ taste buds.

My taste buds also liked this one.
Sydney

Location: the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the galaxy

Previous

Instant Messenger

Permissions