Puerh Shop?

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Aug 9th, '08, 13:04

Puerh Shop?

by android73 » Aug 9th, '08, 13:04

Does anyone know why PS gets such a bad reputation on Puerh.net? I have ordered from PS a number of times and been very satisfied? Is there something I am missing? :?

Aug 9th, '08, 13:48

by Wesli » Aug 9th, '08, 13:48

Bygones. Puerhshop is a great shop.

Aug 9th, '08, 15:22
Scrolling: scrolling

by Salsero » Aug 9th, '08, 15:22

I have ordered quite a few times and been happy. I first heard of Puerhshop in a post by Hop_Goblin in his Ancient Tea Horse Road blog sometime early last year, but never ordered anything for almost a year. I suppose I didn't trust a new name, despite Hop's endorsement.

I suspect any rep comes because Jim has not been stocking the high end stuff (which Guang at Hou De is so good at) or the big names. You're more likely to find an obscure factory name at Puerhshop. Frankly, I like that, since I am more interested in a good price/quality ratio than drinking something popular on one board or another. Additionally, Puerhshop is relatively new and the total inventory is probably quite a bit less than what Scott carries at Yunnan Sourcing or Gordon at Dragon Tea House. It used to be that DTH was the new guy that no one trusted!

Pu-shop has the enormous advantage of being domestic, so shipping is cheap and quick!

Also Jim recently posted a note right here in TeaChat that he is going to start carrying more of the fancy stuff. http://www.teachat.com/viewtopic.php?p= ... ght=#55020

While I am a recent fan of Puerhshop, I still buy much more tea from combined other sources than from Pu-shop.

Aug 9th, '08, 16:08

Puerh Shop

by android73 » Aug 9th, '08, 16:08

This is what I suspected, just curious. Thanks a bunch guys!

aap

Aug 9th, '08, 16:36

by shogun89 » Aug 9th, '08, 16:36

Salsero wrote:I have ordered quite a few times and been happy. I first heard of Puerhshop in a post by Hop_Goblin in his Ancient Tea Horse Road blog sometime early last year, but never ordered anything for almost a year. I suppose I didn't trust a new name, despite Hop's endorsement.

I suspect any rep comes because Jim has not been stocking the high end stuff (which Guang at Hou De is so good at) or the big names. You're more likely to find an obscure factory name at Puerhshop. Frankly, I like that, since I am more interested in a good price/quality ratio than drinking something popular on one board or another. Additionally, Puerhshop is relatively new and the total inventory is probably quite a bit less than what Scott carries at Yunnan Sourcing or Gordon at Dragon Tea House. It used to be that DTH was the new guy that no one trusted!

Pu-shop has the enormous advantage of being domestic, so shipping is cheap and quick!

Also Jim recently posted a note right here in TeaChat that he is going to start carrying more of the fancy stuff. http://www.teachat.com/viewtopic.php?p= ... ght=#55020

While I am a recent fan of Puerhshop, I still buy much more tea from combined other sources than from Pu-shop.

Yep, Salsero hit it dead on target.

Aug 9th, '08, 18:51

by hop_goblin » Aug 9th, '08, 18:51

I just wanted to mention that it is GREAT to have all of this pu activity! YEAH!!!

Aug 9th, '08, 20:08

by Salsero » Aug 9th, '08, 20:08

hop_goblin wrote: I just wanted to mention that it is GREAT to have all of this pu activity! YEAH!!!
Yes, isn't it though! I've learned so much and met so many people in this thread, it's great!

Aug 10th, '08, 10:48

by tony shlongini » Aug 10th, '08, 10:48

Whenever there are more choices, the customer benefits. If there were only one puerh supplier, we'd be slaves to their whim.

Someone mentioned enjoying finding cakes with favorable price/quality ratios, but keep in mind that if you're just shopping price, a single bad purchase (and by bad I mean unenjoyable by your standards for whatever reason, even if it's just a matter of preference) can throw a monkey wrench into your equation.

Buying puerh isn't easy, even after mastering the rudiments of the game. Relying on the sellers rep is one factor, but you have to read between the lines. No matter how many exclamation marks Scott at YS may use in a description of a cake, it's hard to convey the essence of a tea with a few words, although he does better than most. At Dragon Tea House, every tea is rated either four or five stars. Does that mean the four star teas suck? Angelina's seems to cut and paste the blurbs from YS, and Puerh Shop is all over the map.

My last order from PS arrived before he received my payment. That is not a misprint, and that alone makes him reputable in my book. Whether the teas he delivers (the last cakes arrived in impeccable condition) are up to the standards of other purveyors is subject to debate, but I think Jim has carved out a place for himself in this field. Hou De may have a far better selection of premium material, but their portfolio is still limited. If Jim continues to add more "big names" to his list, he can give them a run for their money. There's a place for all of these sellers, and more.

Ultimately, the best advice to be had can be gleaned from the reviews of likeminded individuals whose opinions you've come to trust on sites such as this.

Aug 10th, '08, 14:25

by hop_goblin » Aug 10th, '08, 14:25

tony shlongini wrote:Whenever there are more choices, the customer benefits. If there were only one puerh supplier, we'd be slaves to their whim.

Someone mentioned enjoying finding cakes with favorable price/quality ratios, but keep in mind that if you're just shopping price, a single bad purchase (and by bad I mean unenjoyable by your standards for whatever reason, even if it's just a matter of preference) can throw a monkey wrench into your equation.

Buying puerh isn't easy, even after mastering the rudiments of the game. Relying on the sellers rep is one factor, but you have to read between the lines. No matter how many exclamation marks Scott at YS may use in a description of a cake, it's hard to convey the essence of a tea with a few words, although he does better than most. At Dragon Tea House, every tea is rated either four or five stars. Does that mean the four star teas suck? Angelina's seems to cut and paste the blurbs from YS, and Puerh Shop is all over the map.

My last order from PS arrived before he received my payment. That is not a misprint, and that alone makes him reputable in my book. Whether the teas he delivers (the last cakes arrived in impeccable condition) are up to the standards of other purveyors is subject to debate, but I think Jim has carved out a place for himself in this field. Hou De may have a far better selection of premium material, but their portfolio is still limited. If Jim continues to add more "big names" to his list, he can give them a run for their money. There's a place for all of these sellers, and more.

Ultimately, the best advice to be had can be gleaned from the reviews of likeminded individuals whose opinions you've come to trust on sites such as this.

A very lucid and well thought comment. I do understand exactly the message you are trying to convey. However, the fact of the matter is that it is undoubtedly risky purchasing pu-erh to lay down from lesser known factories of which it seems be that the Puerhshop is notable for doing. I do not believe that anyone is questioning Jim’s professionalism; however, what is disconcerting is his preponderance of always showcasing pu-erh that appear to be produced by small factories whose main reason is to turn a fast buck in this pu-erh craze. I can almost guarantee that many of these small factories will disappear in a couple of years if they have not already. The fact of the matter is that I have sampled a few of his products which even include a few of his recommendation and to state it mildly, they were certainly lacking. I compare his stock to cheaper to midrange wine. These types of wine are meant not to “lay down” for any significant period. They lack the complexity and the general “oomph” to stand the test of time. However, these types of wine have a purpose and place. They are meant to be drunk casually and not intended for the serious collector who wish to refine the wine with age – the same goes with most of PuerhShop’s stock. I do agree that HouDe's stock is limited in selection. However, Guang has vetted his products as well and does not sell less desirable items in the hopes that some unassuming novice will think they are getting a great deal. I think Houde's cliental are more discriminative when it comes to tea. This is not to suggest that HouDe doesn't sell the occasional dud but IMHO he is one of the "Cadillac's" of the tea vending businesses.

Aug 10th, '08, 15:44

by tony shlongini » Aug 10th, '08, 15:44

Great post, hop.
Case in point. PS pushes Guoyan's classic 88 blend, going so far as to offer a sampler containing this tea along with the '05 Dayi 7542. Reading his review, you'd expect it to be better than the Menghai version, but it's not even in the same league. Now I don't so much care that the 88 is one of the most pedestrian teas I have, or that I should have instead purchased a second Dayi beeng to lay down, but I do have a problem in not being to fully trust their ratings. That doesn't hurt me, mind you, as I'll simply stay away from his "unknown" brands. He also seems to carry products from factories with names designed to include to words Menghai or Mengku in them- Menghai Pengchen, Mengku Old Country QZ, Menghai Old Tea Mountain, Menghai Dayeh, Menghai Yunhai, etc.
In this regard, your wine analogy is sound. That's a subject I do know a bit about.
http://badgerandblade.com/gallery/displ ... geid=13628 :roll:

Now how the heck do I insert a pic in here?

Aug 10th, '08, 16:02

by Salsero » Aug 10th, '08, 16:02

tony shlongini wrote: Now how the heck do I insert a pic in here?
I think you will need to open a (free) Photobucket (or other hosting) account, select "upload from from Web URL," paste in your URL and upload to Photobucket.

Once the pic is in Photobucket, select the "IMG Code" link and paste it into your post.

There might be an easier way to do it by using Adagio's IMG button in the "Post a reply" page but I couldn't get it to work for me with that url.

Aug 10th, '08, 16:10

by tony shlongini » Aug 10th, '08, 16:10

I guess you'll just have to click to see, then. :lol:

http://badgerandblade.com/gallery/displ ... geid=13626

Aug 10th, '08, 17:43

by Salsero » Aug 10th, '08, 17:43

That works! Precious looking stuff. I remember a Margaux I had ... oof, over 30 years ago.

Aug 10th, '08, 17:47

by Proinsias » Aug 10th, '08, 17:47

shaving as well as tea addict?

Aug 10th, '08, 22:08

by edkrueger » Aug 10th, '08, 22:08

From Pu-erh.net
Puerh Shop USA
Reviewed 3/23/2007 $$$

Not really a new link, just a facelift on on the old #1GreenTea.com link. This site rubbed me wrong from the very beginning. False claims were made etc. Since then he appears to be trying real hard to shake the bad reputation. I will reserve judgement, other than to say that I am still very skeptical. Many of his products are unique to his site, therefore it is difficult to compare pricing. I have to give him credit as the new website is informative and attrractive.

Feedback from some Pu-erh.Net readers say that pricing is OK, packing is only so-so, and delivery is prompt.

Link was added on:03/23/2007 and was last edited on: 06/02/2007
Puerhshop.com has made me loose faith in pu-erh.net. Not the opposite way around. :twisted:

+ Post Reply