Show off your Pu!!!!!!!

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Jul 12th, '11, 22:22

Re: Show off your Pu!!!!!!!

by odarwin » Jul 12th, '11, 22:22

hi auhckw,

i notice that there are lots of impulse towards liubao these past few days,
is it hot it KL right now with liubao? and does it have anything to do with the liubao feature on art of tea magazine? thou i understand that from the article, MY is the top importer of liubao tea back then...

have you had experience with old liu bao? and what are the real difference of liubao vs ripe pu erh or aged raw pu erh? i cant seem to spot the difference, and in a way always think that both are somewhat the same if not very very close

Jul 12th, '11, 23:00

by auhckw » Jul 12th, '11, 23:00

odarwin wrote:hi auhckw,

is it hot it KL right now with liubao? and does it have anything to do with the liubao feature on art of tea magazine? thou i understand that from the article, MY is the top importer of liubao tea back then...

have you had experience with old liu bao? and what are the real difference of liubao vs ripe pu erh or aged raw pu erh? i cant seem to spot the difference, and in a way always think that both are somewhat the same if not very very close
I cannot say for others, but I am buying some after the recent encounter of the golden award liubao in TeaExpo. Before that, I didn't explore much in them. Now, I want to keep some for aging but it will not be a lot cause they taste roughly the same. It is like ripe pu, the taste profile is nearly the same with not much difference. Liubao is usually nicer if it is once wet stored.

I have tried old (60s, 70s, 80s) and new liu bao. Some are nice, some taste like chemical and I would agree with you that Liubao can be quite similar to ripe pu and aged raw pu. But the taste is nothing unlike good aged raw pu. Aged raw pu has more character.

Jul 12th, '11, 23:33

by odarwin » Jul 12th, '11, 23:33

auhckw wrote:
odarwin wrote:hi auhckw,

I cannot say for others, but I am buying some after the recent encounter of the golden award liubao in TeaExpo. Before that, I didn't explore much in them. Now, I want to keep some for aging but it will not be a lot cause they taste roughly the same. It is like ripe pu, the taste profile is nearly the same with not much difference. Liubao is usually nicer if it is once wet stored.

I have tried old (60s, 70s, 80s) and new liu bao. Some are nice, some taste like chemical and I would agree with you that Liubao can be quite similar to ripe pu and aged raw pu. But the taste is nothing unlike good aged raw pu. Aged raw pu has more character.
well if thats the case, then you should be getting your hands on as much good quality aged raw as possible and as budget permits before its too late and it all goes to the pu devil :evil: :mrgreen:

Jul 13th, '11, 00:17
Vendor Member

by gingkoseto » Jul 13th, '11, 00:17

odarwin wrote: what are the real difference of liubao vs ripe pu erh or aged raw pu erh?
This question just reminds me of something. A big difference, for me, between liubao and most puerh is, liubao tastes pretty much tasteless to me. I guess it's just me. It seems part of my sense is blind for liubao. Sometimes I can feel the texture is nice and smooth, like rice soup. But rice soup is pretty much tasteless. So probably that's a spot of my "tea tasting disability". :mrgreen:

Jul 13th, '11, 01:36

by auhckw » Jul 13th, '11, 01:36

odarwin wrote: well if thats the case, then you should be getting your hands on as much good quality aged raw as possible and as budget permits before its too late and it all goes to the pu devil :evil: :mrgreen:
I see no hurry to buy aged raw. If god permits, when I retire at 55 all my tea will be 20 to 30 years old. That time I could slowly enjoy them in my retirement era and start babbling to the newer generation about how cheap they where when I buy it now. Meanwhile, I just have to hang around in tea shops more often to enjoy drinking their aged tea... gratis :mrgreen:

Jul 13th, '11, 01:38

by auhckw » Jul 13th, '11, 01:38

gingkoseto wrote:
odarwin wrote: what are the real difference of liubao vs ripe pu erh or aged raw pu erh?
This question just reminds me of something. A big difference, for me, between liubao and most puerh is, liubao tastes pretty much tasteless to me. I guess it's just me. It seems part of my sense is blind for liubao. Sometimes I can feel the texture is nice and smooth, like rice soup. But rice soup is pretty much tasteless. So probably that's a spot of my "tea tasting disability". :mrgreen:
If have tasting disability to liubao, then do you have problem with ripe pu or ripe aged pu?

There are many grades of liubao, and some can be really really cheap and hopeless. Make sure you try a few others before you diagnose yourself with such disability :lol:

PS: I went and topup another 6 of the raw liubao brick. Total I have 10 now 8)

Jul 13th, '11, 09:17
Vendor Member

by gingkoseto » Jul 13th, '11, 09:17

auhckw wrote:
gingkoseto wrote:
If have tasting disability to liubao, then do you have problem with ripe pu or ripe aged pu?

There are many grades of liubao, and some can be really really cheap and hopeless. Make sure you try a few others before you diagnose yourself with such disability :lol:

PS: I went and topup another 6 of the raw liubao brick. Total I have 10 now 8)
Indeed a lot of shu seems tasteless to me too (not including those with offensive taste). I have been suspecting they fall on my blind spot too. But I've had a lot more shus that are not tasteless to me. On the other hand, liubao rarely tastes offensive to me, but just tasteless.
The best liubao used to be very very cheap. I am not familiar with the liubao market, but guess even today it's by far less expensive than puerh. Is it a right or wrong impression?
But I can understand old liubao, no matter how much it costs, is rare.

Jul 13th, '11, 10:36

by auhckw » Jul 13th, '11, 10:36

2006 Xia Guan Tea Bag Ripe Puerh

Edit: This is ripe and not raw
Last edited by auhckw on Jul 14th, '11, 09:15, edited 1 time in total.

Jul 13th, '11, 11:41

by solitude » Jul 13th, '11, 11:41

auhckw wrote:
odarwin wrote: well if thats the case, then you should be getting your hands on as much good quality aged raw as possible and as budget permits before its too late and it all goes to the pu devil :evil: :mrgreen:
I see no hurry to buy aged raw. If god permits, when I retire at 55 all my tea will be 20 to 30 years old. That time I could slowly enjoy them in my retirement era and start babbling to the newer generation about how cheap they where when I buy it now. Meanwhile, I just have to hang around in tea shops more often to enjoy drinking their aged tea... gratis :mrgreen:
Maybe after you will be retired you will realize that there is no way to drink all your puerh even if you would live for 300 years, and then you will open a shop and become rich. :D

Jul 14th, '11, 03:16

by odarwin » Jul 14th, '11, 03:16

solitude wrote:
auhckw wrote:
Maybe after you will be retired you will realize that there is no way to drink all your puerh even if you would live for 300 years, and then you will open a shop and become rich. :D
...xg tea bags... hmmm...

hi auhckw, mind taking pics of your entire collection? a group shot of the actual storage area would be really interesting to see!

Jul 14th, '11, 10:30

by auhckw » Jul 14th, '11, 10:30

odarwin wrote:...xg tea bags... hmmm...
Yesterday, I bought some Xia Guan Tea Bags. I thought it was Raw, but got to know today that it is actually Ripe :(

So I bought Raw Tea Bags today. Last pack, and here are the difference.

The ripe is actually quite good

Jul 14th, '11, 10:50

by auhckw » Jul 14th, '11, 10:50

odarwin wrote: hi auhckw, mind taking pics of your entire collection? a group shot of the actual storage area would be really interesting to see!
Updated: 2011-07-14

More photos...

Tea Shelf
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... eef1fc3469

Pu-erh (Raw) Tea
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... c076439c7b

Pu-erh (Ripe) Tea
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... d9805992db

Other Tea
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... b4bd9de00c

Teaware
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... f33fe94afb

Jul 14th, '11, 19:04

by apache » Jul 14th, '11, 19:04

gingkoseto wrote:
Indeed a lot of shu seems tasteless to me too (not including those with offensive taste). I have been suspecting they fall on my blind spot too. But I've had a lot more shus that are not tasteless to me. On the other hand, liubao rarely tastes offensive to me, but just tasteless.
The best liubao used to be very very cheap. I am not familiar with the liubao market, but guess even today it's by far less expensive than puerh. Is it a right or wrong impression?
You are lucky, only have a few tasting blind spots, I think I got an arm length. Most of the followings are tasteless to me: oolong, almost any green tea, shu, a number of LBZ sheng (including Chen Sheng Hao LBZ), most wet store sheng and some aged sheng (including Mengku YYX!). Just because I can't sense them, I don't mean all these teas are bad or bland, surely a lot of people enjoy drinking them. I also cannot taste fine wine: a hind of lemon grass, butterscotch, blackcurrant and vanilla all sound foreign to me. All I can tell is whether the wine taste sour, smooth or rough.

The more I sample different teas, the more I notice that only a small handful of pu which I really enjoy. Fortunately, I never find EoT young Bulang tasteless, if that ever happen, I think I drink Coca-cola instead!

Jul 14th, '11, 19:54

by apache » Jul 14th, '11, 19:54

auhckw wrote:
odarwin wrote: hi auhckw, mind taking pics of your entire collection? a group shot of the actual storage area would be really interesting to see!
Updated: 2011-07-14

More photos...

Tea Shelf
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... eef1fc3469

Pu-erh (Raw) Tea
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... c076439c7b

Pu-erh (Ripe) Tea
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... d9805992db

Other Tea
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... b4bd9de00c

Teaware
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... f33fe94afb
Thank you for showing us your collection, auhckw. That's a lot of tea for one person to drink (I assume you are the only person at home drinking it). You must have tried a lot of them at least once at the shop before you bought them, but have you open any of them and sampled them in leisure at home sometime later? My experience told me that the same tea can taste different even I brew it the same way, and certainly even I only bought very few teas from an actual shop, it tastes different at home than in the shop. I normally sample the same tea for a good number of times before I can form a definite opinion.

Jul 14th, '11, 22:24

by auhckw » Jul 14th, '11, 22:24

apache wrote:
gingkoseto wrote:
You are lucky, only have a few tasting blind spots, I think I got an arm length. Most of the followings are tasteless to me: oolong, almost any green tea, shu, a number of LBZ sheng (including Chen Sheng Hao LBZ), most wet store sheng and some aged sheng (including Mengku YYX!). Just because I can't sense them, I don't mean all these teas are bad or bland, surely a lot of people enjoy drinking them. I also cannot taste fine wine: a hind of lemon grass, butterscotch, blackcurrant and vanilla all sound foreign to me. All I can tell is whether the wine taste sour, smooth or rough.

The more I sample different teas, the more I notice that only a small handful of pu which I really enjoy. Fortunately, I never find EoT young Bulang tasteless, if that ever happen, I think I drink Coca-cola instead!
You sound like a tea drinker who require strong flavor or kick to sense it... next time try increase the amount of leaves or soak them longer. I probably cannot join you for tea then cause I don't like my tea strong :cry:

+ Post Reply