Show off your Pu!!!!!!!

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Nov 4th, '08, 14:41

by thanks » Nov 4th, '08, 14:41

Salsero wrote:
Jeremy wrote: Speaking of Yiwu, I am drinking this one now, and I think its incredible. But the cake is expensive.

http://www.puerhshop.com/index.php?main ... cts_id=546
Boy, what a price tag! $99 for a single 2003 cake. But "incredible" is a big word! I've added the sample to my ever growing shopping list. Thanks for the tip.

Have you had the 2007 Guoyan 66 at $15 for a whole cake? That seems too cheap to be a good cake, yet Mengyang Guoyan has such a good name.
It is a great tea, that's for certain. I don't know if it's quite 99$ worth though. Once I am done with young stuff (at least the bulk of it, so mid-summer next year) then I'll think about buying this. It is really tasty though.

Nov 4th, '08, 14:49

by Trioxin » Nov 4th, '08, 14:49

Wow, Hop. So when are you building on the addition to your home in order to store all your Pu?

Nov 4th, '08, 15:28
Scrolling: scrolling

by Salsero » Nov 4th, '08, 15:28

Nice additions to the stash, Hop. Can you list the teas? I know it is a bother, but if they are listed they will show up if someone searches for that tea and they will know you have some. Also, I'm sure that a number of us will want to mimic some of your purchases. :D

Nov 4th, '08, 15:50

by shogun89 » Nov 4th, '08, 15:50

Salsero wrote: Also, I'm sure that a number of us will want to mimic some of your purchases. :D
Yep!

Nov 4th, '08, 16:10

by hop_goblin » Nov 4th, '08, 16:10

shogun89 wrote:
Salsero wrote: Also, I'm sure that a number of us will want to mimic some of your purchases. :D
Yep!
Ok listed names

Nov 4th, '08, 16:25

by wyardley » Nov 4th, '08, 16:25

hop_goblin wrote: Ok listed names
Are the 2003 Henry Trading Company special order "conscientious prescription" cakes from Guang or from somewhere else?

Nov 4th, '08, 16:26

by hop_goblin » Nov 4th, '08, 16:26

wyardley wrote:
Are the 2003 Henry Trading Company special order "conscientious prescription" cakes from Guang or from somewhere else?
They are from HouDe, Yes from Guang

Nov 4th, '08, 16:47
Scrolling: scrolling

by Salsero » Nov 4th, '08, 16:47

You are a peach, Hoppy! Thanks.

Big vote for Yong De there! Are they really that good? I have the Mang Fei Mountain Wild Arbor but haven't tasted it yet and I have the Mei Zi Qing on the way. At one point, Edkrueger said it was his favorite factory.

I've only had one session with the HK Henry Special-Ordered 7542 of Menghai sample I got, but I found the early infusions suprisingly light, the later ones showing a delicious, light, crème brulée flavor, and the tea lasted easily for 14 infusions.

Nov 4th, '08, 16:53

by wyardley » Nov 4th, '08, 16:53

Salsero wrote:Big vote for Yong De there! Are they really that good?
I bought 8-9 cakes of the 2008 Yong De Yi Wu one blind from Scott, and I think it tastes very pleasant already... it brewed up a fairly dark yellow, and some of the leaves have a little red; so I guess some might consider it to have too much oxidation, but it's definitely very pleasant to drink now. Only time will tell how it ages. I am not an expert, and definitely don't claim to know how it will age, but I think it's good tea, esp at ~ $20-24/cake.

The leaves are beautiful, and the dry cake smells great. There's no smoky flavor, and only a slight bitterness if you slurp it across your tongue. The broth seems pretty thick. The compression is loose (because of the stone molding), which for me was one of the major reasons I got some of these cakes - I am hoping that in a dry climate like mine, they'll age a little faster.

Nov 4th, '08, 17:13

by hop_goblin » Nov 4th, '08, 17:13

wyardley wrote:
Salsero wrote:Big vote for Yong De there! Are they really that good?
I bought 8-9 cakes of the 2008 Yong De Yi Wu one blind from Scott, and I think it tastes very pleasant already... it brewed up a fairly dark yellow, and some of the leaves have a little red; so I guess some might consider it to have too much oxidation, but it's definitely very pleasant to drink now. Only time will tell how it ages. I am not an expert, and definitely don't claim to know how it will age, but I think it's good tea, esp at ~ $20-24/cake.

The leaves are beautiful, and the dry cake smells great. There's no smoky flavor, and only a slight bitterness if you slurp it across your tongue. The broth seems pretty thick. The compression is loose (because of the stone molding), which for me was one of the major reasons I got some of these cakes - I am hoping that in a dry climate like mine, they'll age a little faster.
Well, I have only tasted 2 of the 4 kinds I bought. But yes, I agree the ones I have tasted are indeed something to age!.

Wyardley, living in LA how do you age your pu? Isn't humidity a concern over in those parts?

Nov 4th, '08, 17:19

by wyardley » Nov 4th, '08, 17:19

hop_goblin wrote: Well, I have only tasted 2 of the 4 kinds I bought. But yes, I agree the ones I have tasted are indeed something to age!.

Wyardley, living in LA how do you age your pu? Isn't humidity a concern over in those parts?
I don't really humidify intentionally. However, I am near the ocean, so it's at least somewhat more humid than you'd think... over the summer, it was typically around 60% +- 10, and it's been just a touch drier so far this fall.

For a long time, I didn't bother buying tea to age at all, but I finally decided what the hell. No one really knows how it will turn out, but I'm just hanging onto it and hoping for the best.

I've thought about being more aggressive about humidifying, but the closet my tea is in is fairly large, and sticking a pan or two of water in there doesn't cut it... and anything more than that starts to become way too much of a pain. Right now, I do try to open the door of the closet a little when it's humid out, then I close it up and put a towel across the door. Even with some airflow through the cracks, it seems to stay a little more warm and humid in there than in the rest of my apartment, and it definitely smells nice and fragrant when I stick my head in there, so to me, that's an indication that at least *something* is going on.

Nov 4th, '08, 17:46

by hop_goblin » Nov 4th, '08, 17:46

wyardley wrote:
hop_goblin wrote: Well, I have only tasted 2 of the 4 kinds I bought. But yes, I agree the ones I have tasted are indeed something to age!.

I don't really humidify intentionally. However, I am near the ocean, so it's at least somewhat more humid than you'd think... over the summer, it was typically around 60% +- 10, and it's been just a touch drier so far this fall.

For a long time, I didn't bother buying tea to age at all, but I finally decided what the hell. No one really knows how it will turn out, but I'm just hanging onto it and hoping for the best.

I've thought about being more aggressive about humidifying, but the closet my tea is in is fairly large, and sticking a pan or two of water in there doesn't cut it... and anything more than that starts to become way too much of a pain. Right now, I do try to open the door of the closet a little when it's humid out, then I close it up and put a towel across the door. Even with some airflow through the cracks, it seems to stay a little more warm and humid in there than in the rest of my apartment, and it definitely smells nice and fragrant when I stick my head in there, so to me, that's an indication that at least *something* is going on.
Definitely helps living next to a large body of water. I am somewhat lucky as well. It typically stays 70-80 RH here during the end of Spring and Summer. However, the ambient RH is typically 60-70 RH in my closet. I can certainly relate to the nice pu-erh smell from a closet! I love to take a whiff any chance I get. :wink:

Nov 4th, '08, 17:50

by hop_goblin » Nov 4th, '08, 17:50

shogun89 wrote:whoa HOP!!!!!!! Man, I envy you. Have fun with your new teas!
Haha thanks shogun89 I am excited to try them myself! :D

Nov 4th, '08, 19:21

by heavydoom » Nov 4th, '08, 19:21

what is that cake with the cnnp wrapper? is that a 2002 cake or that special order cake?

Nov 4th, '08, 19:31

by hop_goblin » Nov 4th, '08, 19:31

heavydoom wrote:what is that cake with the cnnp wrapper? is that a 2002 cake or that special order cake?
Yeah, those are the Henrys

+ Post Reply