A good first pu? also, recipe numbers--what do they mean?

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Aug 19th, '08, 14:06
Vendor Member

by nada » Aug 19th, '08, 14:06

I think it's important not to get too hung up on the leaf grade. Grade 1 is definitely not necessarily 'better' than grades 2-8, in fact some people would shun bings made purely from tips in favour of bings made from larger leaves. The grade just refers to the size of the leaves and how they get sorted by a machine (such as the one here). My personal preference is for bings with larger leaves as I feel there is more depth of flavour and huigan to be extracted from these leaves than from pure bud bings.

Also it is my understanding that a recipe will not necessarily only contain 1 grade of leaves eg. an 8582 will contain grades 8,7,6 leaves but the majority of leaves will be of grade 8. It's my understanding that it is these proportions, along with blending of different areas which make up a recipe.

Aug 19th, '08, 14:20
Scrolling: scrolling

by Dizzwave » Aug 19th, '08, 14:20

Good to know... Thanks nada!

Aug 19th, '08, 14:32

by tony shlongini » Aug 19th, '08, 14:32

hop_goblin wrote:To use an analogy if I may, a Margarita is still called a Margarita even though it may have a different tequila and or mixer. Crappy example I know! lol
Not really a bad analogy. One drink made from El Tesoro de Don Felipe, Cointreau, and fresh lime and another made from Two Fingers, stock triple sec, and bottled juice are both margaritas, but couldn't be further apart.

I see a lot of producers making a 7542, for example, but I would think that each draws from a different stockpile of leaf. Saying you use the same process as Chateau Latour doesn't mean a thing if the grapes came from your back yard. Unless, of course, you have a mighty famous back yard.

Aug 19th, '08, 15:53
Scrolling: scrolling

by Salsero » Aug 19th, '08, 15:53

nada wrote: Yep, the same Nada.
So Hop_Goblin (Bill of Ancient Tea Horse Road) told me this morning. Great blog! Loved reading it though I didn't usually leave any comment. Keep it alive and post once in a blue moon if you feel inspiration! I look forward to the Taiwan trip. That also looks like one gorgeous countryside! Are you going to see Stéphane while you are there?

Aug 19th, '08, 16:11

by hop_goblin » Aug 19th, '08, 16:11

tony shlongini wrote:
hop_goblin wrote:To use an analogy if I may, a Margarita is still called a Margarita even though it may have a different tequila and or mixer. Crappy example I know! lol
Not really a bad analogy. One drink made from El Tesoro de Don Felipe, Cointreau, and fresh lime and another made from Two Fingers, stock triple sec, and bottled juice are both margaritas, but couldn't be further apart.

I see a lot of producers making a 7542, for example, but I would think that each draws from a different stockpile of leaf. Saying you use the same process as Chateau Latour doesn't mean a thing if the grapes came from your back yard. Unless, of course, you have a mighty famous back yard.

You got me there! HAHA

+ Post Reply