Pu Erh Box Pass

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Aug 18th, '08, 19:48

by shogun89 » Aug 18th, '08, 19:48

Yep, good calculations Tom! That is just about perfect. Cheap and easy to deal with. Like I said just use bubble wrap to protect the teas!

Aug 18th, '08, 20:12

by Cinnamon Kitty » Aug 18th, '08, 20:12

TomVerlain wrote:I am under the 75 posts, but I could make that up today if neccessary :roll:

I remebered something about tea from when I had my wisdom teeth removed in the middle 17th century ...

A certain amount of bleeding is to be expected following surgery. Slight bleeding, oozing, or redness in the saliva is not uncommon and may persist for 24 hours. Excessive bleeding may be controlled by first rinsing or wiping any old clots from your mouth, then placing a gauze pad over the area and biting firmly for thirty minutes. Repeat if necessary. If bleeding continues, bite on a moistened tea bag for thirty minutes. The tannic acid in the tea bag helps to form a clot by contracting bleeding vessels. To minimize further bleeding, do not become excited, sit upright, and avoid exercise. If brisk bleeding does not subside, call for further instructions.

So , do not become excited (stop reading tea chat?)
and apply tea

good luck
It actually works pretty well. I did this when I had my wisdom teeth removed and it helped. As much as sucking on a Twinnings tea bag is not appealing, I am sure that some loose leaf in one of those paper filter bags would work just as well and be a bit more tasty.

Aug 18th, '08, 22:13

by shogun89 » Aug 18th, '08, 22:13

I'm sorry Tom, but I just remembered that auggie was the first person to sign up as you can see on the first page. That will move everyone back one spot, I am really sorry for not noticing this earlier.

Or you know what maybe I'll just place augie in front of me. Forget what I said above. I'll work it out tomorrow once I get home from the dentist.

Aug 19th, '08, 07:13

by augie » Aug 19th, '08, 07:13

shogun89 wrote:I'm sorry Tom, but I just remembered that auggie was the first person to sign up as you can see on the first page. That will move everyone back one spot, I am really sorry for not noticing this earlier.
You can shuffle me around anywhere. Wait until you have a good list and organize by location, maybe? That way some aren't sending the box from Seattle to New jersey and then from New Jersey to Arizona. Make sense? Just count me in, I don't care where . . .

I'm still awaiting the prized Oolong Pass Box!

Good luck at the dentist Shogun . . . ask for some vicodin :wink: .

Aug 19th, '08, 08:40

by shogun89 » Aug 19th, '08, 08:40

augie wrote:
shogun89 wrote:I'm sorry Tom, but I just remembered that auggie was the first person to sign up as you can see on the first page. That will move everyone back one spot, I am really sorry for not noticing this earlier.
You can shuffle me around anywhere. Wait until you have a good list and organize by location, maybe? That way some aren't sending the box from Seattle to New jersey and then from New Jersey to Arizona. Make sense? Just count me in, I don't care where . . .

I'm still awaiting the prized Oolong Pass Box!

Good luck at the dentist Shogun . . . ask for some vicodin :wink: .
Thanks augie, I make sure to work you in somewhere nere the top. If we get some Canadians in this then it would go to them before you and hopefully have a chance to fill up. :D

Aug 19th, '08, 09:06
Scrolling: scrolling

by Salsero » Aug 19th, '08, 09:06

I would rather be early in the list, as I am more interested in putting things in than taking things out. Are we doing both sheng and shu?

Aug 19th, '08, 09:14

by shogun89 » Aug 19th, '08, 09:14

Salsero wrote:I would rather be early in the list, as I am more interested in putting things in than taking things out. Are we doing both sheng and shu?
Anything puerh, sheng and shu. and if you want to get rid of any other tea just throw it in there and I sure someone will drink it, including me! The list right now is not final people will be arranged accordingly.

Tom, I do need to know where you would like to be, If you want to taste alot of puerh I would put you toward the end, I you want to do more of a donation I will put you near the top. Just tell me.

Aug 19th, '08, 09:49

by RussianSoul » Aug 19th, '08, 09:49

Don't forget to add me to the list please.

I'd rather be in the second half of the list. I was in the beginning in the other Box Passes and would like a change of pace.

Aug 19th, '08, 12:00

by Dizzwave » Aug 19th, '08, 12:00

Definitely sheng and shu.
I agree with augie, we should organize the list somewhat by location too. If any other Portlanders (abx? geekgirl? geoffk?) sign up, I can either send it to them first, or last (before it comes back to me, to meet whatever fate we decide for it).

So, about the size of the box..... It's really up to you Shogun, since this is kind of your baby. :) I was looking forward to getting a good little smorgasbord of pu sent off, but, if we want to keep it an envelope, I can keep it down to 5 or 6 samples.
-dave

Aug 19th, '08, 12:51

by Salsero » Aug 19th, '08, 12:51

Dizzwave wrote: So, about the size of the box..... an envelope ...
I always worry the tea will get smushed or worse in an envelope ... they run those envelopes through machines in the PO and sometimes they get snagged and ripped open, especially if the shape is strange.

I don't think mailing a box would be much more expensive, maybe none, if it's a small box. Judging from the oolong thread, A LOT of tea accumulates after a while. I don't know if they have used the same box all along or if each sender used a new box ... I can't imagine one box would survive all that use for very long. That would mean the size can change as it travels.

Aug 19th, '08, 13:58

by Trioxin » Aug 19th, '08, 13:58

Salsero wrote:
Dizzwave wrote: So, about the size of the box..... an envelope ...
I always worry the tea will get smushed or worse in an envelope ... they run those envelopes through machines in the PO and sometimes they get snagged and ripped open, especially if the shape is strange.

I don't think mailing a box would be much more expensive, maybe none, if it's a small box. Judging from the oolong thread, A LOT of tea accumulates after a while. I don't know if they have used the same box all along or if each sender used a new box ... I can't imagine one box would survive all that use for very long. That would mean the size can change as it travels.
Agreed. Maybe if it were just a couple of samples an envelope would work, but once it hits Salsero especially, it would have to turn into one hell of a large envelope.

Aug 19th, '08, 14:40

by tony shlongini » Aug 19th, '08, 14:40

If it's okay with you, I'd like to join the passaround. If not, I'd still like to contribute to your cause.

These passarounds can be a wonderful thing. I moderate a site that has a cologne passaround (called "the fragrance train") that is almost three years old and has circled the country countless times. We also have a tobacco (cigar and pipe) box going that has also met with decent success. It's a good opportunity to try before you buy, and I can't tell you how many obscure things I discovered.

Aug 19th, '08, 16:13

by shogun89 » Aug 19th, '08, 16:13

TomVerlain wrote:hi

I would prefer to be in the second half ... but since one hopes it will come around again, any logical position is fine

re envelope versus box. --

the USPS has the flat rate box, but it is 9.80 anywhere in the country. There may be pricepoints in between, based on weight and distance. Perhaps it can start as envelope, move to flat rate box number one (upto 20 lbs internationally), then large flat rate box, then move to LTL ....

The shipping supplies are free ... so a new box or envelope every time is possible.
That sounds pretty good. We'll have to see what volume of tea people are donating first. I will keep your positioning in thought.

Aug 19th, '08, 16:21

by Dizzwave » Aug 19th, '08, 16:21

I was just PMing with orguz (from Canada) and he's considering just sending me some tea to help with the starter, and not receiving any. I told him I don't mind paying the shipping for the first pass to Canada, and that he should join the box pass full-on, but we'll see what he says.
Anyway, I was thinking of starting it off with ~20g each of 5-10 of my favorite young shengs, and ~20g each of ~5 of my favorite shus.
Each person can take as much as they want, as long as they
1) don't take more than 5g of any one tea, and
2) put in at least as much weight as they take out.

Sound reasonable?
dave

+ Post Reply