OFFICIAL PUERH BOX PASS

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Sep 1st, '08, 21:19
Scrolling: scrolling

by Salsero » Sep 1st, '08, 21:19

I think the idea was to make one trip into Canada, travel within Canada, and then one trip back out. I'd be happy to send it INto Canada.

Sep 1st, '08, 21:45

by Dizzwave » Sep 1st, '08, 21:45

Oops, sorry chamekke, yes of course you can join.. I didn't realize you were from Canada, and I sort of jumped to the conclusion that the rest of us were on this side of the border... :)
So... I'll let you and Shogun decide where to put you on the list.. he's the listkeeper. :)

Sep 1st, '08, 22:00

by chamekke » Sep 1st, '08, 22:00

Actually, you know what, I am a puehr virgin so perhaps I will wait for a future incarnation of the puehr box pass ... right now I don't have anything to contribute and indeed I wouldn't know what to contribute!

{sound of backpedalling}

Sep 1st, '08, 23:16

by PolyhymnianMuse » Sep 1st, '08, 23:16

I've been looking over this thread considering if I should join in or not since I already am on for the oolong box...

but than i figure for ~$10 in shipping to participate, i'll probably get to taste a lot more puerh than i would if I went and spent that online.

In short, sign me up :)
Closer to the end of the line would be preferable.

Sep 1st, '08, 23:20

by shogun89 » Sep 1st, '08, 23:20

Alright! Theres many more joinys, excellent! Since tomorrow is my first day back to school I wont have time to add anyone till 3 tomorrow. I just want to send out a big thanks to orguz and Dizzwave for putting a very generous amount of lovely tea in the box! :D :D There are a few in there that I am particularly excited to try. :wink:
Talk to you guys tomorrow, Ahhhh, gotta love school! :cry: :cry: :cry:

Sep 1st, '08, 23:56

by Salsero » Sep 1st, '08, 23:56

chamekke wrote: right now I don't have anything to contribute and indeed I wouldn't know what to contribute!
The main idea is to taste it not to fill it. It's already starting out with a good selection, and I plan to add enough for both of us. :lol:
PolyhymnianMuse wrote: In short, sign me up
Good decision-making skills!

Sep 2nd, '08, 00:21

by chamekke » Sep 2nd, '08, 00:21

Salsero wrote:
chamekke wrote: right now I don't have anything to contribute and indeed I wouldn't know what to contribute!
The main idea is to taste it not to fill it. It's already starting out with a good selection, and I plan to add enough for both of us. :lol:
Oh, well in that case... I would love to join!

If there's still room after the forward- and backward-pedalling I just did, that is :wink:

It doesn't matter to me which end of the queue I'm on, incidentally, so if it's easiest to ship to Canada towards the end of the box's journey, that's just fine.

"Never trust a man who, when left alone in a room with a tea cosy, doesn't try it on."
- Billy Connolly

Sep 2nd, '08, 01:39

by Dizzwave » Sep 2nd, '08, 01:39

ok, I'll await word from Shogun the official list-keeper, and I should have it all packed up for Wednesday's mail.

Sep 2nd, '08, 13:46

by Dizzwave » Sep 2nd, '08, 13:46

This is probably a good time to bring up something I learned recently, about brewing pu-erh. (Cloud posted this advice to the LJ forum.)
When you are preparing a pot of pu-erh, you probably have some chunks of leaves, and also some loose leaves/fannings that have flaked off of your cake. If you use only the chunks, the first few brews will be weak (as the leaves are opening up, and there's not much exposed surface area yet). If you use only the loose stuff, you'll get a few strong pots, and that's it. SO.... Cloud's advice is to experiment, but that a good starting ratio is about 70% chunk to 30% loose (by weight). (Although.. there is a difference between fannings and "dust" -- don't use the dust, that'll probably just give you bitterness.)

This seems like very common sense, but for some reason I didn't think of it on my own.. and since I read his post, my brews have been coming out much more... "even."

Why bring this up in the box pass thread??
Because, through the shipping process, our chunks are likely going to break up a bit, and we'll each be faced with the question, "how much of what do I use?" "Should I be a hero and use up all the loose stuff?" "Should I be greedy and not use any of the loose stuff?" :twisted:

Anyway.. you probably all knew that already, but, just in case.... :)

Sep 2nd, '08, 17:29

by orguz » Sep 2nd, '08, 17:29

I learned this from a local puerh vendor, where I bought some 60's raw aged pu, sample size only. She kept the fannings for herself and loyal clientelle, regular customers would mistakenly think they got ripped off and end up chucking it. Was told not to throw out this dust but to mix it with the other leafs when brewing, especially vintage puerh.

Dizz how was the G.S shu btw.

Sep 2nd, '08, 17:45

by Dizzwave » Sep 2nd, '08, 17:45

orguz wrote:Dizz how was the G.S shu btw.
That was an interesting one! It opened my eyes to a flavor that I'd previously disliked. I used to think of it as "dirt" because the other teas I've had with that flavor tasted, well, like dirt.... But this one is different. it does have that taste, but it's not overpowering, and it rides over a rich, sweet shu taste.
After that, I went back and tasted another tea I had that I'd kind of chucked to the side because of that taste, and it didn't taste so bad this time. :)
"Earth." It's the new "dirt."

Sep 2nd, '08, 17:56

by orguz » Sep 2nd, '08, 17:56

TO DIZZWAVE,

I thought the same, it came out very sweet and thick in the mouth feel. Like you said very different. Maybe due to having aged a few years found out it is a 2003 version so the fermentation flavors have mellowed.

Sep 2nd, '08, 18:00

by Salsero » Sep 2nd, '08, 18:00

Dizzwave wrote: "Earth." It's the new "dirt."
:lol: Yeh, I can enjoy a loam taste ... even a little hint of the aroma of well-rotted animal manure you might garden with. In fact that Luxi 2006 Wild Floral (sheng) brick I just sampled the other day had that.

Sep 2nd, '08, 18:03

by Dizzwave » Sep 2nd, '08, 18:03

Loam, huh? cool. a new word. :)

The listkeeper has spoken, and it looks like we are sending it to chamekke next! Awaiting a PM with address.......

Then I guess it'll go to Tony from there? Unless any more Canadians speak up and join in?

Sep 4th, '08, 15:55

by Dizzwave » Sep 4th, '08, 15:55

The box is on its way to Tony Shlongini!!!
I sent it in a flat rate box, should be there in a few days....

+ Post Reply