Opinions on my choices of pu please

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Aug 21st, '08, 08:58

by chrl42 » Aug 21st, '08, 08:58

hop_goblin wrote:
chrl42 wrote:
TIM wrote:
chrl42 wrote:
Wesli wrote:in a more suitable climate, like Hong Kong.
Hong Kong is not suitable climate for Puerh.

It's only now to realise Hong Kong or Guang Dong stored Puerhs were wet-stored which often brings a white mold. However, Puerh sensation had been started by HK/GD sellers so most of aged Puerhs were from that areas...which are not welcomed on the market nowadays..

They claim ideal humidity(less than 80%?) with a little wind..where would that be? I woud not know....
Hard to say most Hong Kong puerh are wet-stored. I truly believe different Cultures have different taste and no one should be alike (where is the fun!). But I do experience storing aged tea in NY is the biggest challenge/disappointment so far....
You are obviously right, I was raising my tone a bit without much experience.

What I wanted to just say was tho, since most of Puerh sellers are from Guang Dong it's very possible to be claimed 'Guang Dong' stored = humid stored Puerh can be only called ideal storing to our buyer's eyes.

But it's true that
1. lots of intentional wet-storing has been practiced in Guang Dong
2. even without intention, natural humidity gets assimilated storing in Guang Dong
3. many of their Puerh brings a white mold, which by no means a good sign of proper storing
4. haven't heard or read that wet-storing is better than dry-storing (so far)

Just my opinions, Tim :?
IMHO, I see nothing wrong with Wet-Stored Pu-erh. Many of the examples I have tasted are wet stored and have been a joy to drink. Yes, HongKong does ripen pu-erh much faster than let's say in KunMing, but by no means does it make it inferior. If the market is not accepting wet stored it is only due the perpetuation of the belief that "wet stored equals inferior" when nothing more is far from the truth. You can not deny that many of the great vintages were wet stored. It is really easy to get snobbish about pu-erh and storage conditions when the fact is that different storage conditions provides the drinker much more variety, experiences, and sensations. THis said, I do agree that some vendors will ripen pu-erh and THEN wrap them in old looking paper to sell to the uninformed world market. This is what I am against. Wet stored pu-erh is just as much or even more part of pu-reh history than the infamous 88 ching beeng.
I don't mean any bashing on Guang Dong stored puerh or other wet-stored ones.

I haven't been experienced enough to claim that either.

Well, I guess it's different people with different preference

I have been too snobbish from hearing mere stories and books..

I mean, when will I be able to get one sip of 50's Hong Yin?

Send me some if you have one :?

Aug 21st, '08, 09:14
Scrolling: scrolling

by Salsero » Aug 21st, '08, 09:14

brandon wrote: I made some very rough cuts
Yum, you make my mouth water! I did a little filter pack and crop, it looks like a final print to me.

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u320 ... 9970BH.jpg

ABx, I'm sure Bears wouldn't mind if you used some of his photos ... with permission and giving credit, or course, and there is the nascent TeaChat Flickr group.

Brandon, do you know if there is an easy way to copy photos from Photobucket to the new group? If so, I might want so guidance on what kind of stuff to put in the group.

Aug 21st, '08, 09:32

by Dizzwave » Aug 21st, '08, 09:32

ABx wrote:
Dizzwave wrote:2000 Cheng Guang-He Tang "Yi Wu Yieh Sheng" Brick
I agree that it's nice, but it's not really quite adolescent yet - still quite young.
Aww, c'mon. Pre-teen then maybe? :)
Anyway, thanks for the correction... 99% of what sheng I've drunk has been less than 5 years old, so something 8 years old is pretty old to me. -dave

Aug 21st, '08, 13:35

by ABx » Aug 21st, '08, 13:35

Thanks for the help on the pics, guys :) I'll have to gather pics and play around a bit, but with my non-existent knowledge of photography I'm sure this will make things a lot more polished. I will, of course, give all due credit :)

Aug 21st, '08, 13:37

by ABx » Aug 21st, '08, 13:37

Dizzwave wrote:
ABx wrote:
Dizzwave wrote:2000 Cheng Guang-He Tang "Yi Wu Yieh Sheng" Brick
I agree that it's nice, but it's not really quite adolescent yet - still quite young.
Aww, c'mon. Pre-teen then maybe? :)
Anyway, thanks for the correction... 99% of what sheng I've drunk has been less than 5 years old, so something 8 years old is pretty old to me. -dave
Hehehe, "tweeny." Adolescent generally means that it has aged characteristics but it's still pretty rough. The 99 is actually a little past adolescent, IMO, because it was stored in high-humidity environments (and it's one of my favorites thus far).

Aug 21st, '08, 13:44

by Dizzwave » Aug 21st, '08, 13:44

ABx wrote:The 99 is actually a little past adolescent, IMO, because it was stored in high-humidity environments (and it's one of my favorites thus far).
Which 99 is that, ABx? I'm always on the lookout for good recommendations, especially if it's going to cost more than 10 cents a gram. :) Can't afford to make a lot of mistakes once it starts getting in that range..

Aug 21st, '08, 14:28

by ABx » Aug 21st, '08, 14:28

The 1999 Chen Guang-He Tang. You can get a sample of it with the 2001 here:
http://www.houdeasianart.com/index.php? ... cts_id=769

Aug 22nd, '08, 17:35
Vendor Member

by nada » Aug 22nd, '08, 17:35

drumhum wrote:
teakid wrote:You gotta try the:

2004 Jing Mai Millenial Stone- Pressed Pu-erh tea cake 25 grams
<snip>

Tea added to list - no doubt I'll love it and then feel frustrated I can't buy a full cake anywhere!
If it happens that you do like this tea and want to buy a full cake I have some for sale

Sep 21st, '08, 00:12

by Salsero » Sep 21st, '08, 00:12

teakid wrote: You gotta try the:

2004 Jing Mai Millenial Stone- Pressed Pu-erh tea cake 25 grams
Thanks for the suggestion, Kid. I got a sample of this from Scott, partly because I enjoyed the 2007 Jingmai Mountain Spring Puerh Tea Cake from Puerhshop. Jim's 2007 Spring is a lot more drinkable now, less rough, but I suspect the 2004 (produced by Mr. He Shi Hua of Jing Mai Mountain) will be pretty amazing in a few years after some of the edge wears off. It is sold out at Yunnan Sourcing, but Nada has some bings remaining if you contact him.
Last edited by Salsero on Sep 21st, '08, 12:29, edited 1 time in total.

Sep 21st, '08, 12:14

by teakid » Sep 21st, '08, 12:14

Yeah, too bad both the '04 and '05 samples and cakes are out of stock already. I enjoyed the '04 one particularly because it has characteristics of some of the great 90's CNNP cakes I've tried before. It definitely has a lot of potential and was going for $52 USD per cake. Hopefully, we'll see it for sale again in the future without a price difference :wink:

btw...who the heck is Mr. He Shi Hua?

Sep 21st, '08, 12:42
Vendor Member

by nada » Sep 21st, '08, 12:42

teakid wrote:who the heck is Mr. He Shi Hua?
http://www.andaotea.com/news/1999watershedyear.htm

Sep 21st, '08, 14:22

by chrl42 » Sep 21st, '08, 14:22

teakid wrote:btw...who the heck is Mr. He Shi Hua?
He Shi Hua (何仕華) is a legend-like man in making Gu Shu(old tree) Cha. Aged over 60s by now, born in Sichuan.

He Shi Hua-made Gu Shu Cha! is like Chanel or Luis Vutton of Puerh..certainly the brand.

Sep 21st, '08, 14:28

by Salsero » Sep 21st, '08, 14:28

Thanks, Nada and Chrl42, for telling us about this important figure in the history of puerh.

Sep 21st, '08, 15:38

by teakid » Sep 21st, '08, 15:38

My apologies to Mr. He Shi Hua, and thanks him for making such fine puerh tea.

+ Post Reply