tea nuggets haiwan 9908 or other question

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

tea nuggets haiwan 9908 or other question

Postby orguz » Oct 18th, '08, 11:08

I just cleaned out my pot after steeping puerh teanuggetsl laochatao 9908 from haiwan. This might sound like a stupid question but has anyone else noticed the brewed leftovers. In my case when i threw out the contents in the sink i picked up spent tea nugget/leafs and broke them apart.

This might sound gross but each little nugget came apart with this slimy strings attached to it similar to pulling apart mozzarella when melted. I thought maybe it was string, which occasionally finds its way pu erh teas, it happened with each one, like some sort of adhesive held that loose tea dust together? This style of pu still taste good don't get me wrong, but the experience felt like an Alien episode.

Does anyone have similar experience, if not should any laochatao drinkers read this, can you try this out?
orguz

Postby puerhking » Oct 18th, '08, 12:02

hopefully nothing has come bursting out of your chest. :P

I think Ill pass on those.
puerhking

Postby brandon » Oct 18th, '08, 12:15

Yes, digging through the brewed nuggets is a pretty interesting affair - some are hard as a rock due to compression - others are highly broken down by, I assume, bacteria, and have the consistency of mud. I thought this was kind of gross at first, but I have come to accept it.
brandon

Postby orguz » Oct 18th, '08, 13:05

brandon wrote:Yes, digging through the brewed nuggets is a pretty interesting affair and have the consistency of mud. I thought this was kind of gross at first, but I have come to accept it.

I agree with the mud it's totally broken down I thought it was a filler of some sort. :twisted:
orguz

Postby Ti » Oct 18th, '08, 17:22

Possibly some rice based filler maybe?
Ti

Postby Salsero » Oct 18th, '08, 23:49

I brewed up a pot just so I could get a look first hand. I guess I never tried pulling the nuggets apart. The strings are smaller than I imagined after reading your post.

I know nothing about chemistry, but I wonder if these little strings are actually proteins that have been developed in the tea "sludge" that the nuggets are made of. Through friction or pressure, together with drying and aging, I could imagine something like that developing in the juices that cling to machine parts, much like flour develops elastic gluten in response to kneading. I think a stringy texture in organic things, like mozzarella, usually indicates proteins. My tendency is to think that the strings are a natural development in this material and there is nothing added to make it stick together.
Salsero

Postby orguz » Oct 19th, '08, 08:55

I am glad I wasn't the only one noticing this, I know that here at teachat we have quite the knowledgeable tea compounds experts, I'm hoping they can elaborate more regarding "strings" .
orguz

Postby Wesli » Oct 19th, '08, 12:04

Couldn't they just be the veins from the leaves? I've got the brick, but haven't inspected the "leftovers" to that degree.
Wesli

Postby edkrueger » Oct 19th, '08, 12:24

That makes much, much, much more scene than the protein hypothesis.
edkrueger

Postby omegapd » Oct 19th, '08, 13:35

Wesli wrote:Couldn't they just be the veins from the leaves? I've got the brick, but haven't inspected the "leftovers" to that degree.

Me either. I've tried breaking up the nuggets some beforehand (not easy) but once they steep well the first time, I don't fool with them again. I sure do love this type of tea, though...probably my favorite shu.

EW
omegapd

Postby beecrofter » Oct 19th, '08, 15:15

It is also quite possible that the tea was visited by moths and the threads are silk that the larvae used when pupating. This is not an uncommon find in foodstuffs and I doubt tea would be an exception.
beecrofter

Postby Salsero » Oct 19th, '08, 15:37

beecrofter wrote: the threads are silk that the larvae used when pupating
This is quite a comforting thought! :roll:
Salsero

Postby orguz » Oct 19th, '08, 16:34

I thought that too, some sort of infestation. I tried the pulling apart with more than nuggets and was surprised each displayed the same result. I think it's the protein or cellulose in the stalks leafs after going through that 40 or more days of compost like fermentation . Personal deduction that is.
orguz

Postby Dizzwave » Oct 20th, '08, 12:53

TomVerlain wrote:anyone ever try Natto (Japanese sticky beans) ?

Hehe.. I love natto. And the first time I ever found these "strings" in my spent leaves (actually it was in some Xiaguan tuocha from pu-shop that I first found this) it immediately reminded me of natto.
Anyway, I'm not worried about it... I drink 9908 almost every day and I'm still around. :)
Dizzwave

Next

Instant Messenger

Permissions