Official Pu of the day

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

May 2nd, '14, 07:33

Re: Official Pu of the day

by chin » May 2nd, '14, 07:33

Hi Teaism,

Wonder how is your 2002 DXS taste like? can describe? Thanks.

Teaism wrote:
wert wrote:
Teaism wrote:Serious tea training today with my tea buddy. Hit the wall and tea drunk :) after that. It is too stressful to be in full alert in roasting, brewing and drinking with so many teas but vital for learning.

Had:
Youle2012, Yiwu2009, LBZ2007,DXS2005,Youle 2003, DXS2002 and polish up with TLH,90s chocolate tea and DHP.

We were evaluating different water with different tea of different mountain and age, different roasting and brewing styles.... Huff and Puff!
Eye opening and learned a lot.

Cheers! :D
I want to learn too!
Thanks shah82 for the info on DXS. :D

Hi wert,
You can self taught quite easily. Keep an open mind. Just be conscious on tasting profiles and techniques and explore options to see how it affect the cup of tea. Tea is very basic, we always go back to the basic of tasting it.
Have a great weekend!

May 2nd, '14, 11:12

by Teaism » May 2nd, '14, 11:12

chin wrote:Hi Teaism,

Hi Chin,

Quite hard to describe a tea accurately but I will try.

The tea has settled down and aged. It is really very smooth, thick and still has the aroma of mild minty savory profile. DXS has a hint of red tea Darjeeling profile and this note is obvious in the brew. It is very clean and super sweet with lengthy aftertaste, mesmerizing Qi and extremely good mouthfeel.

The best is to taste it, of course. I would say this is a extremely good piece of tea, and the market in China agreed, as they are selling it at US$2000 for a 300gm piece.

Hope you can figure out from what I say. Thanks for your interest. :D

Cheers and have a great weekend.
:D

May 2nd, '14, 15:13

by gasninja » May 2nd, '14, 15:13

Kickin it new school with the 902 7542.

May 2nd, '14, 16:17

by shah82 » May 2nd, '14, 16:17

We're on the same wavelength. 801 8582.

May 3rd, '14, 00:02
Vendor Member

by TwoDog2 » May 3rd, '14, 00:02

gasninja wrote:Kickin it new school with the 902 7542.
shah82 wrote:We're on the same wavelength. 801 8582.
Dem new gen pi's

May 3rd, '14, 05:49

by solitude » May 3rd, '14, 05:49

Teaism wrote:

DXS has a hint of red tea Darjeeling profile and this note is obvious in the brew.
I remember when I got my first DXS cake and I was worried that it was processed into honcha pu :)

May 3rd, '14, 10:20

by debunix » May 3rd, '14, 10:20

Enjoying some 1999 Yiwu puerh from OriginTea this morning, day 2 with these leaves, because I only had time for a few infusions on day 1. I am particularly enjoying this one because of the resonance with the Puerh book that we've been discussing in its own topic, which is focused on Yiwu. The first infusions were a trace rough still, but the later ones as now are subtle and sweet, earthy forest humus sweetened with nectar.

May 4th, '14, 09:29

by Puerlife » May 4th, '14, 09:29

A Tale of Two Sessions: Just three days apart. When I did the first session I think I was coming down with a cold thanks to my bedroom air conditioner but didn't realize it yet.
5/1/14 Nahan 2013 Spring 7 grams 100 ml 1) Autumnal? Slight astringency. 2) 15s 100c Autumnal vanilla-like aftertaste but other than than a gentle yuck. 3) 15s astringent, bad taste 4) 10s 95c Hm, much better! 5) 6s 98c Mellow at first but last cup is nasty 6) 6s 98c Astringency, OK taste, a few minutes later actually a little huigan 7) 6s 98c OK 8 ) 10s 98 pleasant astringency, not much flavor but not nasty

5/4/14 Nahan 2013 Spring 9 grams no rinse 1) 1s 98c very thick, not bitter, easy to drink 2) 4s 98c Still no bitterness, I’ve become aware of my throat in a good way. Can’t place the taste. Through the great creaminess is a subtle flavor. Now the tongue feels coated with cream. The tongue feels smooth. After a few minutes the qi rises. Sedated but alert, very nice. 3) 6s 98c Now there’s a bit of kuwei and a sparkling coolness on the tongue. Mm, the tongue is not numb, more like a pleasant aliveness. Ooh, more qi now. Huigan! This is good. Tongue was wet but I’m feeling astringency now a couple minutes later. A few more minutes later and it’s suddenly very interesting being in this body, the sensations and conceptions of what’s going on inside. 4) 8s 98s So smooth. Pretty much no taste on the tongue but immediately after, the sensation on the tongue and in the prefrontal lobe occur almost simultaneously. 5) 10s 100c I’ve upped the temp to boiling (whatever temp that is at 1,000m elevation) OK, there’s flavor now in the form of kuwei. Not overpowering, very nice, but warning me not to overdo it. And then the sweetness, and then more body and mind sensation. Big smile on my face now. 6) 12s 100c Initially sweet and delicious, aftertaste of metal. Second cup is just a bad bitter. Is this the end? 7) 10s 98c Tasty again, more qi. The deep pockets in my gums are throbbing, but not painfully. Something in the tea is working on them. Since I started drinking young sheng almost daily a month or two ago, my gums have been in much much better shape than before. I can now eat tough meat without being in pain for two days. 8 ) 12s 98c Still good but with a bit of a rough edge. Qi still wonderful. 9) 14s 98c Slightly metallic, some bitterness but still good to drink. 10) 20s 98c Fading gracefully, leaving remarkable cooling sensation around throat entrance for the first time, cooling my outbreath as it goes into my mouth. The second cup has a subtle, then stronger nice kuwei. We’re not done yet! A few minutes later a sudden and remarkable cooling sensation delights the throat and palate. A little later, my tongue and palate feel like I’ve just had some mint. 11) 25s 98c Mm, some nice astringency, good flavor and the very nice conscious body and head feel continue. 12) 30s 98c Metallic More headrushes, my lower sinuses are purring. 13) 35s 98c The taste is mildly metallic, not so great now, but not nasty. Still well worth drinking for everything else that’s going on. 14) 40s 98c 15) 50s 98c Wow, mint again. Three hours later I still feel very, very good and am taking in Kate Bush’s wonderful Aerial: A(n Endless) Sky of Honey, which is just perfect for now.
This tea has almost no aroma and the taste is very, very light, too. Forget that. This tea is about all the sensations I've described. I can see why the price just went up nearly 50%.

May 4th, '14, 21:05

by chin » May 4th, '14, 21:05

Are you kidding? US$2000 for a 300gm piece? any article?
Teaism wrote:

Hi Chin,

Quite hard to describe a tea accurately but I will try.

The tea has settled down and aged. It is really very smooth, thick and still has the aroma of mild minty savory profile. DXS has a hint of red tea Darjeeling profile and this note is obvious in the brew. It is very clean and super sweet with lengthy aftertaste, mesmerizing Qi and extremely good mouthfeel.

The best is to taste it, of course. I would say this is a extremely good piece of tea, and the market in China agreed, as they are selling it at US$2000 for a 300gm piece.

Hope you can figure out from what I say. Thanks for your interest. :D

Cheers and have a great weekend.
:D

May 4th, '14, 22:05

by Teaism » May 4th, '14, 22:05

chin wrote:Are you kidding? US$2000 for a 300gm piece? any article?
It was sold out already even at that price. I am not kidding. A 2007 LBZ of similar source is selling at US$4760 for 375gm piece. It is crazy and I definately won't buy at this price. But the China market is vast and price is not a concern. Tea is like wine, sometimes it is expensive at $20 and sometimes it is cheap at $5000. :shock:

May 4th, '14, 23:59

by kyarazen » May 4th, '14, 23:59

no kidding.. 2002 yiwu from the same maker is 13,000 rmb per 300g brick now, wholesale price from the source.

lao-banzhang 07 and 08 was re-priced at 29,000 rmb/cake and 26,000 rmb/cake respectively, and there were calls to "回流" these cakes from our region back to mainland as there wasnt enough "supply" to meet the demand.

the repricing this year shocked most of us, especially just as I was considering whether to buy a piece of 02 DXS or 08 LBZ in the high hundreds range, it suddenly popped to thousands.

the value of these teas could only be indicative of successful harvest & productions, successful storage methods giving a brew that many are beginning to enjoy/crave for.

May 5th, '14, 01:02
Vendor Member

by TwoDog2 » May 5th, '14, 01:02

kyarazen wrote:
no kidding.. 2002 yiwu from the same maker is 13,000 rmb per 300g brick now, wholesale price from the source.
Though the prices seem shocking to some people, when the prices for new old arbor cakes come out it will be apparent why a cake that is well produced and stored with almost 15 years of age costs $2,000.

A 2014 high quality Yiwu cake can cost easily over $1,000 retail. Some people were telling stories this Spring of paying almost $2,000 per kg at the wholesale (from the farmer) level.

A 357g tea cake is between 40-50 sessions worth of tea. Any tea at the price can easily brew for 15 steeps. So, at $2000, you are paying roughly $50 per session. That is obviously an unacceptable price for some people, but for a special tea I think it is worth it. I've paid $50 for a bottle of wine, which provides more or less the same amount of drinking time and enjoyment.

How many 15 year old "great" wines cost $50 per bottle retail?

May 5th, '14, 01:12

by Teaism » May 5th, '14, 01:12

TwoDog2 wrote:
kyarazen wrote:
Though the prices seem shocking to some people, when the prices for new old arbor cakes come out it will be apparent why a cake that is well produced and stored with almost 15 years of age costs $2,000.

A 2014 high quality Yiwu cake can cost easily over $1,000 retail. Some people were telling stories this Spring of paying almost $2,000 per kg at the wholesale (from the farmer) level.

A 357g tea cake is between 40-50 sessions worth of tea. Any tea at the price can easily brew for 15 steeps. So, at $2000, you are paying roughly $50 per session. That is obviously an unacceptable price for some people, but for a special tea I think it is worth it. I've paid $50 for a bottle of wine, which provides more or less the same amount of drinking time and enjoyment.

How many 15 year old "great" wines cost $50 per bottle retail?
Well said. :D
Perhaps the most we can do is to learn how to identify potentially good new tea with careful studies and evaluation and buy them when young. Otherwise it is very hard to buy when they are aged and turned out to be good. Collectors won't let go at any price. Buy good tea when they are cheaper and young and enjoy them through their aging period. I wouldn't buy an old tea and pay high price for it unless I need it for reference and studies. It is like buying an instant grown up son and miss out all the fun! :mrgreen:

May 5th, '14, 01:38
Vendor Member

by TwoDog2 » May 5th, '14, 01:38

Teaism wrote:
Perhaps the most we can do is to learn how to identify potentially good new tea with careful studies and evaluation and buy them when young. Otherwise it is very hard to buy when they are aged and turned out to be good. Collectors won't let go at any price. Buy good tea when they are cheaper and young and enjoy them through their aging period. I wouldn't buy an old tea and pay high price for it unless I need it for reference and studies. It is like buying an instant grown up son and miss out all the fun! :mrgreen:

That is a good way to put it. Aging with your tea can be interesting, even if your son doesn't become the president, you still tend to love him...unless he goes to jail for armed robbery. But, luckily with puer you have many other kids to balance out the bad ones.

The biggest pro I can think of for purchasing high quality tea when it is young is exactly what you mentioned. Once a tea is good and old, it graduates from expensive to only affordable for Bill Gates. Most people can theoretically swing a couple of hundred dollars for a cake. But, $5,000? Not many people can afford that cake. That is what a lot of older LBZ cakes are fetching these days. And there is plenty of demand from drinkers and collectors, not just speculation.

I have had many a debate about this with friends who have criticized my tea purchasing, but for some reason they readily pay $5 for Starbucks coffee. :?

May 5th, '14, 02:12

by Teaism » May 5th, '14, 02:12

TwoDog2 wrote:
Teaism wrote:

Cheers my friend! :D
That is a good way to put it. Aging with your tea can be interesting, even if your son doesn't become the president, you still tend to love him...unless he goes to jail for armed robbery. But, luckily with puer you have many other kids to balance out the bad ones.

The biggest pro I can think of for purchasing high quality tea when it is young is exactly what you mentioned. Once a tea is good and old, it graduates from expensive to only affordable for Bill Gates. Most people can theoretically swing a couple of hundred dollars for a cake. But, $5,000? Not many people can afford that cake. That is what a lot of older LBZ cakes are fetching these days. And there is plenty of demand from drinkers and collectors, not just speculation.

I have had many a debate about this with friends who have criticized my tea purchasing, but for some reason they readily pay $5 for Starbucks coffee. :?
I can understand your term of reference perfectly. Most important is to suit our own agenda in pursuing tea. There too many levels and many people are right in different way. It is a wonderful way when comes to tea and many would agree to this here.

+ Post Reply