Official Pu of the day

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Jul 23rd, '14, 05:45
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: Official Pu of the day

by William » Jul 23rd, '14, 05:45

kyarazen wrote:
William wrote: No. Ii was sealed with oxygen absorber and silica bag, but not vacuum sealed. Seems to be the same, but actually I am not sure if it is the same. Different quantity of nitrogen inside the bag, due to the lack of oxygen, can lead to different results. I am not sure of all this, still at an early stage of experimentation.

The tea was wonderful, this is ultimately what matters. :wink:

Regards.
wow.. non commercial i suppose, i havent come across anyone sealing tea with both sillica and oxygen absorber. will be impressed to know if a tea shop does that :)
I am one of them :mrgreen: .. But I think that I am not the only one!

Jul 23rd, '14, 15:36

by Exempt » Jul 23rd, '14, 15:36

William wrote:
Tead Off wrote:
William wrote:Had a long session with some wild DXS from 2004, stored without any contact with air or moisture for its (albeit short) life. Amazing tea.

Regards.
Do you mean it has been under vacuum seal all this time?
No. Ii was sealed with oxygen absorber and silica bag, but not vacuum sealed. Seems to be the same, but actually I am not sure if it is the same. Different quantity of nitrogen inside the bag, due to the lack of oxygen, can lead to different results. I am not sure of all this, still at an early stage of experimentation.

Regards.
I don't know about anyone else but if I heard that a tea was stored with silica and oxygen absorbers I would never purchase that tea, or any tea from that seller most likely. It's good that you had a good experience with it but that is completely against what conventional knowledge states on storing puerh. It would be like someone trying to sell aged oolong that was in an environment with high humidity and oxygen/airflow :shock:

Jul 23rd, '14, 15:53
Scrolling: scrolling

by William » Jul 23rd, '14, 15:53

Exempt wrote:
William wrote:
Tead Off wrote:
William wrote:Had a long session with some wild DXS from 2004, stored without any contact with air or moisture for its (albeit short) life. Amazing tea.

Regards.
No. Ii was sealed with oxygen absorber and silica bag, but not vacuum sealed. Seems to be the same, but actually I am not sure if it is the same. Different quantity of nitrogen inside the bag, due to the lack of oxygen, can lead to different results. I am not sure of all this, still at an early stage of experimentation.

Regards.
I don't know about anyone else but if I heard that a tea was stored with silica and oxygen absorbers I would never purchase that tea, or any tea from that seller most likely. It's good that you had a good experience with it but that is completely against what conventional knowledge states on storing puerh. It would be like someone trying to sell aged oolong that was in an environment with high humidity and oxygen/airflow :shock:
I am not writing in this forum with the purpose of convincing the eventual reader, I am just reporting my experience. I had an incredible session, this is what matters.

Regards.

Jul 23rd, '14, 16:57

by debunix » Jul 23rd, '14, 16:57

Another day at the office, another couple of tea drinkers enchanted by puerh: I set myself up for a nice quiet session with a 1993 CNNP puerh, a small sample included as a gift from Greg at Norbu, and while I was just getting started, a tech support person came by to help me troubleshoot an issue. She was quite helpful, and she already liked green tea, so I shared a cup with her. She was quite impressed. I made she she had the right spelling and a few tea source links before she left. Then I was walking down the hall to share a bit more with my usual office tea buddies, and the high school student who is working with us for a few weeks also liked tea, so he got a cup too. This evening there will be quite a few cups to wash, and perhaps a few new puerh fanciers ready to explore on their own. This is a really nice earthy/sweet aged tea, quite a lovely introduction to how nice puerh can be.

Jul 23rd, '14, 18:30

by BW85 » Jul 23rd, '14, 18:30

William wrote:
Exempt wrote:
William wrote:
Tead Off wrote:

Regards.

Regards.
I am not writing in this forum with the purpose of convincing the eventual reader, I am just reporting my experience. I had an incredible session, this is what matters.

Regards.
What I think is interesting is that when ever someone mentions sealed storage how quick people are to shoot it down because it goes against "conventional wisdom" yet these people seem to have never tried tea stored in this fashion. Everyone who actually has had a session with sealed puer all seem to be convinced of the benifets this method has to offer, saying the taste of the tea speaks for itself. Both storage methods will give you a different end product, and one isn't necessarily better than the other if you drink with an open mind

I love traditional stored tea, but I'd be very interested in trying some sealed storage tea (if anyone wants to send me a sample :D hint hint )

Jul 23rd, '14, 18:33

by BW85 » Jul 23rd, '14, 18:33

BW85 wrote:
William wrote:
Exempt wrote:
William wrote:
Tead Off wrote:

Regards.

Regards.

Regards.
What I think is interesting is that when ever someone mentions sealed storage how quick people are to shoot it down because it goes against "conventional wisdom" yet these people seem to have never tried tea stored in this fashion. Everyone who actually has had a session with sealed puer all seem to be convinced of the benifets this method has to offer, saying the taste of the tea speaks for itself. Both storage methods will give you a different end product, and one isn't necessarily better than the other if you drink with an open mind

I love traditional stored tea, but I'd be very interested in trying some sealed storage tea (if anyone wants to send me a sample :D hint hint teaism or william)

Jul 23rd, '14, 20:25

by shah82 » Jul 23rd, '14, 20:25

That is not true, BW85.

Jul 23rd, '14, 23:55

by Tead Off » Jul 23rd, '14, 23:55

Exempt wrote:
William wrote:
Tead Off wrote:

Regards.

Regards.
If you examine your life, you begin to see that there is often a difference between what you 'think' and your actual experience. After awhile, brainwashing becomes 'conventional knowledge'.

I think it's important to keep an open mind and not fall into the trap of 'never'.

Jul 24th, '14, 00:28

by tst » Jul 24th, '14, 00:28

So, what you're saying is not that we should never fall into the trap of 'never', only mostly not fall into the trap of 'never'?

:D

Jul 24th, '14, 00:38

by Tead Off » Jul 24th, '14, 00:38

tst wrote:So, what you're saying is not that we should never fall into the trap of 'never', only mostly not fall into the trap of 'never'?

:D
lol.

Jul 24th, '14, 01:12

by Exempt » Jul 24th, '14, 01:12

BW85 wrote:
William wrote:
Exempt wrote:
William wrote:
Tead Off wrote:

Regards.

Regards.

Regards.

I love traditional stored tea, but I'd be very interested in trying some sealed storage tea (if anyone wants to send me a sample :D hint hint )
I'd like to point out that the tea described isn't simply "sealed storage" but sealing and then removing water and oxygen from the environment. I've had sealed teas that still had moisture and oxygen and found them underwhelming. With the removal of oxygen and moisture it seems one is essentially trying to preserve the tea in it's new state, at which point I'll just drink new tea. If william likes it that's great, just stating my opinion :lol:

Jul 24th, '14, 03:02

by Tead Off » Jul 24th, '14, 03:02

For myself, sealed storage means vacuum sealed.
Putting tea into a zip lock bag or plastic wrap is not the same thing.

Of course, anyone can call anything put into some sort of container, sealed, including a brown paper bag. But, I think it's best to define these terms so it is clear to all readers.

Personally, I have no experience with teas that have been stored with oxygen inhibitors. Can they really take the oxygen out of a cake? Seems unlikely.

Exempt, can you really make that statement "I've had sealed teas that still had moisture and oxygen and found them underwhelming." to apply to every single tea that has been stored like this? I have overwhelming proof in my Puerh storage that this is not the case. Maybe it's a matter of you not having had good quality tea that was stored like that. You also have the statements of several posters on this board that they have also had good results with this style of storage.

Jul 24th, '14, 14:36

by Puerlife » Jul 24th, '14, 14:36

I live in a house on the ground and we recently had three days of 85 to 88% humidity. More recently we had a rainy evening and 91% in the house. This goes on for months. Khun Zhang on Bangkok told me that Chiang Mai is more humid than BKK and to keep the tongs he sold me in zip lock bags for the duration of the rainy season and then take them out for the dry season. So, obviously, it's not one or the other for me; it's both.
Edit: one more thing - he said to check the tea every day.
Having been told these things, it seems so obvious. You do what is right for your situation, which may change depending on the season. I hope this helps somebody. I've shared what little I know. I'm not going to get all defensive if someone in Arizona doesn't use zip lock bags. I'm not going to argue that pumidors are 'wrong'because I don't need one. let's just share what we know, take what we like and leave the rest.

Jul 24th, '14, 19:06

by fdrx » Jul 24th, '14, 19:06

2010 Feng Shi Rei: rather long "after eight thin mint" huigan, same dark and mint contrast in the aroma cup with something else, thick enough to be brewed after a heavy meal, astringent, average shengjin, a little straightforward but unique and elegant, quick and short qi.

Jul 24th, '14, 21:10
Vendor Member

by TwoDog2 » Jul 24th, '14, 21:10

BW85 wrote: storage methods will give you a different end product, and one isn't necessarily better than the other if you drink with an open mind
This should be written in blood on some sacred puer altar

+ Post Reply