Official Pu of the day

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Jan 19th, '17, 14:56

Re: Official Pu of the day

by pedant » Jan 19th, '17, 14:56

jayinhk wrote:
stevorama wrote:Discovered a "surprise" in my pu of the day. Emptied the pot and found a mushroom. In a shu pu er! Looks like some variety of shelf mushroom, identity to be determined.
That's scary! Some fungi are highly toxic and can cause serious nerve and kidney damage! I can see how mushrooms would sprout on shu. It serves as a substrate for fungi during decomposition, after all...
shu production is not totally unlike composting lol

Jan 20th, '17, 00:29

by stevorama » Jan 20th, '17, 00:29

I was wondering why everything seemed so sparkly and swirly, I thought it was just good cha qi! :wink:

It's a good time to use my new 959 page mushroom identification guide! Most mushrooms would turn into mush after a short time. This one is very durable to last 14 years. It might be a shelf mushroom or perhaps a type of lichen and was likely growing on wood. Probably not toxic (but maybe!) Perhaps it was harvested accidentally with the tea.

Jan 20th, '17, 01:15
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Jan 20th, '17, 01:15

stevorama wrote:I was wondering why everything seemed so sparkly and swirly, I thought it was just good cha qi! :wink:

It's a good time to use my new 959 page mushroom identification guide! Most mushrooms would turn into mush after a short time. This one is very durable to last 14 years. It might be a shelf mushroom or perhaps a type of lichen and was likely growing on wood. Probably not toxic (but maybe!) Perhaps it was harvested accidentally with the tea.
I want to pick up an identification guide! Any suggestions? :)

Jan 20th, '17, 04:01

by Rui » Jan 20th, '17, 04:01

jayinhk wrote:
stevorama wrote:I was wondering why everything seemed so sparkly and swirly, I thought it was just good cha qi! :wink:

My suggestion is: leave it to the experts.

There are many mushrooms that are similar when one looks at them and that could be a problem.

My wife's father and I have been collecting wild mushrooms for years and I am still not confident enough on my own.

Jan 20th, '17, 07:50
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Jan 20th, '17, 07:50

Rui wrote:
jayinhk wrote:

There are many mushrooms that are similar when one looks at them and that could be a problem.

My wife's father and I have been collecting wild mushrooms for years and I am still not confident enough on my own.
Yes, they say you need a microscope to really be sure of what you have because of how similar fungi are. We have had several cases of serious poisoning here, including a few that have necessitated kidney and liver transplants!

We have these here and I'd like to check them out..purely visually, of course :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gymnopilus_aeruginosus

Jan 20th, '17, 08:55

by Rui » Jan 20th, '17, 08:55

jayinhk wrote:
Rui wrote:
jayinhk wrote:

Yes, they say you need a microscope to really be sure of what you have because of how similar fungi are. We have had several cases of serious poisoning here, including a few that have necessitated kidney and liver transplants!

We have these here and I'd like to check them out..purely visually, of course :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gymnopilus_aeruginosus
Of course. The ones who pick are just for food purposes.

Jan 20th, '17, 21:42

by stevorama » Jan 20th, '17, 21:42

jayinhk wrote:I want to pick up an identification guide! Any suggestions? :)
The book I just got is Mushrooms Demystified by Arora. It's very comprehensive and dense. The book I use all the time is All That the Rain Promises and More by Arora. Mushrooms vary by region so you may need a local field guide. No need to be afraid of mushrooms, just don't eat them unless you know them! :mrgreen: Apologies for the non-pu diversion!!!

Jan 20th, '17, 23:51
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Jan 20th, '17, 23:51

stevorama wrote:
jayinhk wrote:I want to pick up an identification guide! Any suggestions? :)
The book I just got is Mushrooms Demystified by Arora. It's very comprehensive and dense. The book I use all the time is All That the Rain Promises and More by Arora. Mushrooms vary by region so you may need a local field guide. No need to be afraid of mushrooms, just don't eat them unless you know them! :mrgreen: Apologies for the non-pu diversion!!!
Thanks, I know the local government printing press puts out books on local fungi. I'll look into that now!

Jan 22nd, '17, 15:12

by stevorama » Jan 22nd, '17, 15:12

2006 CNNP 7581 Ripe Pu Erh Brick. From Tea Life HK. First sampling. Pleasant and smooth. Zao xiang.

Jan 22nd, '17, 21:46
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Jan 22nd, '17, 21:46

stevorama wrote:2006 CNNP 7581 Ripe Pu Erh Brick. From Tea Life HK. First sampling. Pleasant and smooth. Zao xiang.
Ah, that tea's been very popular! I especially like HK/Taiwan dry storage for 7581, but those bricks have had light traditional storage so you really get the best of both worlds. I haven't had any pu in a while...been drinking green teas and oolongs instead. Perhaps later today...

Jan 22nd, '17, 22:54

by Zared » Jan 22nd, '17, 22:54

Mid 90's loose raw. Thick woody sweetness. This stuff is pretty potent. 20+ steeps and its not done. I acquired this from Orchid tea house today. I definetly need to come back and rescue some of the vintage teaware he sells.

Jan 23rd, '17, 01:17

by kyarazen » Jan 23rd, '17, 01:17

Zared wrote:Mid 90's loose raw. Thick woody sweetness. This stuff is pretty potent. 20+ steeps and its not done. I acquired this from Orchid tea house today. I definetly need to come back and rescue some of the vintage teaware he sells.
his teas and wares are good! may i enquire the price of his mid 90s loose raw? :D

Jan 23rd, '17, 02:19

by Zared » Jan 23rd, '17, 02:19

kyarazen wrote:
Zared wrote:Mid 90's loose raw. Thick woody sweetness. This stuff is pretty potent. 20+ steeps and its not done. I acquired this from Orchid tea house today. I definetly need to come back and rescue some of the vintage teaware he sells.
his teas and wares are good! may i enquire the price of his mid 90s loose raw? :D
He has a lot of nice pieces for sure. My wallet thanks me for only buying a tiny teaboat and small amout of tea though. Price was $1/g. Not super cheap but priced fair considering how clean the storage is. I havent been drinking much HK\TW stored stuff lately so it was a nice change too.

Jan 24th, '17, 15:28

by gatmcm » Jan 24th, '17, 15:28

I'm drinking the last bit of a sample of 2005 CCNP shu (dont have any more info on it), it tastes kinda mutted, you can tell it has a lot going on but the flavours dont seem to come out, there's a bit of smokyness and a bit of spice but the sweetness feels muted even though its there, the mouthfeel is also a bit watery even when overbrewed.

Not sure if this is due to storage, I let it air out fot a few weeks after I tried it for the first time and am drinking it in a gaiwan to make sure my teapot wasn't eating the flavour.

Don't have experience in older shu, my daily drinker is a 2016 dayi 0532 and I've had a few samples here and there but nothing that old.

Jan 24th, '17, 19:37
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Jan 24th, '17, 19:37

gatmcm wrote:I'm drinking the last bit of a sample of 2005 CCNP shu (dont have any more info on it), it tastes kinda mutted, you can tell it has a lot going on but the flavours dont seem to come out, there's a bit of smokyness and a bit of spice but the sweetness feels muted even though its there, the mouthfeel is also a bit watery even when overbrewed.

Not sure if this is due to storage, I let it air out fot a few weeks after I tried it for the first time and am drinking it in a gaiwan to make sure my teapot wasn't eating the flavour.

Don't have experience in older shu, my daily drinker is a 2016 dayi 0532 and I've had a few samples here and there but nothing that old.
Kunming storage, right?

Drinking a HK traditional storage loose shu pu made from broken up smaller cakes. From one of my favorite vendors in town--I've bought po lei from her from quite a while and she's always happy to see me. She gave me a sample of this tea to try and I'm glad she did as it is really lovely tea with light traditional storage--still sweet character and flavor to it that would have been lost with heavier storage. No trace of fermentation flavor or storage aroma whatsoever, and the liquor is sweet and thick. This tea is quite good value, too, so I'll have to pick some up next time. From the same vendor who I get my '99-'06 7542/7572 raw/ripe mix from!

+ Post Reply