Official Pu of the day

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Jun 20th, '13, 16:14

Re: Official Pu of the day

by puerhking » Jun 20th, '13, 16:14

TwoDog2 wrote:
gasninja wrote:The Red mark had huang pian in the mix. For that matter so did Zhou Yu's 2007 remake.
I have a couple huang pin cakes I like to drink them at night since there is almost no caffeine. One is pretty old I found an edamame pod in it.
Right! Almost any old cake has some huangpian in the mix, and they turned out well.

I am right with you, I often brew up huangpian and drink them later in the day. Some people I know boil them until they are syrupy and sweet.
To fully understand this you probably need to drink lots of tea with the local farmers....something I will, unfortunately, never do...more than likely.

Today - 2012 YS Wu Jia Zhai

This has a really nice aroma...like a field of mown wildflowers...lingers in the cup. Solid golden tea soup with hay and flowers and bit of astringency. This reminds me of the EoT Bangwei in some ways. Flavors are clear and pronounced....I think this is one of the best of Scott's cakes, that I tasted, from 2012.

Jun 20th, '13, 20:52
Vendor Member

by TwoDog2 » Jun 20th, '13, 20:52

puerhking wrote: To fully understand this you probably need to drink lots of tea with the local farmers....something I will, unfortunately, never do...more than likely.
Huangpian are actually pretty cheap, i will make it a point to make some. Or maybe Scott or somebody sells them? Right now I only have a few cakes around, that GFZ, a Laoman'e, and some other Bulangs that I drink for myself.

Jun 20th, '13, 21:16

by puerhking » Jun 20th, '13, 21:16

TwoDog2 wrote:
puerhking wrote: To fully understand this you probably need to drink lots of tea with the local farmers....something I will, unfortunately, never do...more than likely.
Huangpian are actually pretty cheap, i will make it a point to make some. Or maybe Scott or somebody sells them? Right now I only have a few cakes around, that GFZ, a Laoman'e, and some other Bulangs that I drink for myself.
I meant to really understand the flavor when they are mixed in with "good" leaf since not many vendors include them these days. There are several places to get them....a few on ebay....Chawang Shop and Puerh Shop have all huang pian cakes, but I have not been compelled to buy one. Perhaps now I will.

Jun 21st, '13, 07:57
Vendor Member

by TwoDog2 » Jun 21st, '13, 07:57

puerhking wrote: I meant to really understand the flavor when they are mixed in with "good" leaf since not many vendors include them these days. There are several places to get them....a few on ebay....Chawang Shop and Puerh Shop have all huang pian cakes, but I have not been compelled to buy one. Perhaps now I will.
I intentionally left about ~5% of the total blend as huangpian in a couple of cakes I have made, but I haven't put them out yet.

I would recommend buying a huangpian cake to keep around, they are a good time.

Jun 21st, '13, 11:40

by puerhking » Jun 21st, '13, 11:40

TwoDog2 wrote:
puerhking wrote: I meant to really understand the flavor when they are mixed in with "good" leaf since not many vendors include them these days. There are several places to get them....a few on ebay....Chawang Shop and Puerh Shop have all huang pian cakes, but I have not been compelled to buy one. Perhaps now I will.
I intentionally left about ~5% of the total blend as huangpian in a couple of cakes I have made, but I haven't put them out yet.

I would recommend buying a huangpian cake to keep around, they are a good time.
When are you going to release your cakes?

Jun 21st, '13, 20:44
Vendor Member

by TwoDog2 » Jun 21st, '13, 20:44

puerhking wrote:
When are you going to release your cakes?
I haven't decided yet. I was thinking of leaving some of the material a couple more months before pressing it

Jun 22nd, '13, 03:21

by JakubT » Jun 22nd, '13, 03:21

Agreed that huangpian cakes can be quite good. E.g. the Chawangshop's huangpian (but gushu :)) Yiwu - plenty of Yiwu character, a really nice tea - for immediate drinking, "standard" leaf Yiwus can hardly beat it (performace/cost)-wise.

Having 2012 Essence of tea's Bulang - it is decent, but I do not find it noteworthy in any way (except its cost)...

Jun 23rd, '13, 05:46

by Deragoth » Jun 23rd, '13, 05:46

2008 Menghai Hong Yun Round Brick.
In last year this shu finally lost it's overwhelming fermentation stench. Some of it still remains and the soup is the colour of black coffee almost until the end of session.
Nothing special but it leaves a nice cooling sensation on the tongue.

Jun 23rd, '13, 13:08

by mr mopu » Jun 23rd, '13, 13:08

Tried the offering from the cnnp factory tonight cnnp zhong cha "red Ribbon 2005 This brews up incredibly dark and with a sweetness almost like a touch of molasses. It is as dark as a cup of coffee and packs a pretty good punch in the flavor department. It is very multifaceted with lots of flavor notes. Coffee, molasses, dark sugarcane and an almost raisin note. A pretty good one so far. Preparation in a yixing almost boiling water, ten second wash and a fifteen minute steep.
Attachments
2005  zhong cha.JPG
2005 zhong cha.JPG (48.83 KiB) Viewed 2409 times

Jun 23rd, '13, 23:28

by Tead Off » Jun 23rd, '13, 23:28

mr mopu wrote:Tried the offering from the cnnp factory tonight cnnp zhong cha "red Ribbon 2005 This brews up incredibly dark and with a sweetness almost like a touch of molasses. It is as dark as a cup of coffee and packs a pretty good punch in the flavor department. It is very multifaceted with lots of flavor notes. Coffee, molasses, dark sugarcane and an almost raisin note. A pretty good one so far. Preparation in a yixing almost boiling water, ten second wash and a fifteen minute steep.
Is there a smokiness in this tea?

Jun 23rd, '13, 23:51

by debunix » Jun 23rd, '13, 23:51

Another session with my 2009 Lao Ban Zhang loose mao cha from Norbu. I've nearly filled my little unglazed shibo from Petr Novak as the leaves are fully hydrated, and not, 20 or so infusions in, it's no longer flash infusions, but still less than a minute is enough. Love this stuff.

Jun 24th, '13, 06:42

by mr mopu » Jun 24th, '13, 06:42

Tead Off wrote:
mr mopu wrote:Tried the offering from the cnnp factory tonight cnnp zhong cha "red Ribbon 2005 This brews up incredibly dark and with a sweetness almost like a touch of molasses. It is as dark as a cup of coffee and packs a pretty good punch in the flavor department. It is very multifaceted with lots of flavor notes. Coffee, molasses, dark sugarcane and an almost raisin note. A pretty good one so far. Preparation in a yixing almost boiling water, ten second wash and a fifteen minute steep.
Is there a smokiness in this tea?
no smokiness at all. It is very enjoyable and rich tasting. And it was a fifteen second steep. I originally posted a 15 minute steep in error.

Jun 24th, '13, 08:50

by JakubT » Jun 24th, '13, 08:50

2000 Apple green 7542 - this makes me happy, such a nice tea. Nicely aging, sweet, full, clean - simply good.

Jun 24th, '13, 14:57

by TofuMiso » Jun 24th, '13, 14:57

E.O.T. 2012 Baotang : This has evolved well over the last twelve months - the flavours have really come out and it has thickened up very nicely . If anyone has some of this and haven't had a session in months - give it a go , I think you'll be pleasantly surprised .

Jun 24th, '13, 22:52

by mr mopu » Jun 24th, '13, 22:52

Having this for the first time, forgot to add it in from a previous order I made. A 2010 cnnp 60th anniversary cake.This is a very tightly packed cake as opposed to some of the other sheng cakes I have. I pried off about 3 tablespoons of leaf to put into the yixing. The first steep after the 10 second wash was way overpowering to me almost bitter and very astringent and overpowering to me. I reduced the steep time for the second cup. It still has a great deal of punch in it with a heavy camphor note. It retains most of the bitterness from the first steep but is a little more palatable now. the brew is still pretty thick with a citrus and grassy mix on the tongue. I will hope this one mellows out in time as it still has a lot of kick in the face notes. Almost a little too strong, but being a sheng I think with this much early kick it will age nicely.

+ Post Reply