Official Pu of the day

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Feb 22nd, '15, 11:01
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: Official Pu of the day

by the_economist » Feb 22nd, '15, 11:01

Wistaria Youle tuo for another very cold day...

Feb 22nd, '15, 15:30

by debunix » Feb 22nd, '15, 15:30

While working with a pile of puerh (cataloging the collection which is getting a bit out of control), I'm enjoying some 2010 Pa Sha Zhong Zhai loose sheng from Norbu. Earthy, herbaceous, delicious.

Going to have to weigh the stash when I'm done.

Feb 26th, '15, 04:37

by Balthazar » Feb 26th, '15, 04:37

Finishing a sample of 2005 Mingshenghao "Nannuoshan Big Tree" from ChaWangShop today.

It was bought along with a bunch of other samples about a year ago, and I tried it for the first time sometime in March 2014 (I think). The remainder of the sample bag has been lying around since then. Therefore, today's tasting is a pretty educational one, in that I am allowed to see what one year of "unattended" Norwegian storage will do to a tea.

In short, what used to be a very pleasant and fairly sweet tea has turned rather sour. It still has some pleasant notes lurking around in the background, but they have very much taken the back seat. The fact that the small bag contained only around 6-7 grams of tea after the first sampling means the deterioration process has probably gone faster than it would have if I had a largely intact cake, but still... I'm finding more and more examples confirming the unsurprising fact that Norway ain't no storage heaven. And this has been a warmer and less dry winter than usual...

Again, I'm glad I didn't buy too much tea last year, and for the future I plan to only buy stuff for immediate consumption. Unless I change my mind somewhere down the line and set up a humidor, the "if it's good, buy tongs of it"-suggestion will not be followed. Samples and a few cakes that have been aged in more appropriate climates, here I come.

Perhaps it's a blessing in disguise, seeing how our currency has depreciated against the US Dollar over the last few months following the oil production increase from the Gulf states :)

Feb 28th, '15, 19:57

by mr mopu » Feb 28th, '15, 19:57

This tea was sent in a very nice pouch of paper that had me scrambling to identiy it on the Wymm Tea site. I found out when I opened the pouch the type of tea it was. No second picks so I will go with this one.
The sample weighed in at 6 grams so I went with my small (5oz.) steeper. The tea was washed for about 5 seconds and then I started steeping. The brew was very light on the first brew as I thought since it was a very quick steep. The aroma of a faint peach smell came off the brew. First sip a bit stronger than I would have expected for a young tea. It carries a good amount of bitterness that turns into a steamed vegetable note with a touch of saltiness to it. Second steeps bring more punch from the bitterness and the color is starting to get a bit darker as well.
It is a strong drink after the initial early steeps . I pulled some leaf out and it seems to be 2 leafs and a bud on the ones with stems I pulled out. Very strong Spring tea and and complex.

Flavors: Bitter, Peach, Salt, Vegetables

Mar 1st, '15, 18:59

by puerhking » Mar 1st, '15, 18:59

2012 Dayi 7572 002 - Good session....creamy and rich with no off flavors of any kind. Really hitting its stride. This is my favorite Dayi shu recipe.

Mar 1st, '15, 20:13

by AT333 » Mar 1st, '15, 20:13

Pu of the day is a wonderful 2005 Sheng Dayi. This tea comes in a set of 1kg size brick in Sheng and shou but I can only afford the Sheng. A nice drink for a cold day. :mrgreen:

Mar 1st, '15, 20:26

by mr mopu » Mar 1st, '15, 20:26

AT333 wrote:Pu of the day is a wonderful 2005 Sheng Dayi. This tea comes in a set of 1kg size brick in Sheng and shou but I can only afford the Sheng. A nice drink for a cold day. :mrgreen:
Please a link for the source of this one? :D

Mar 1st, '15, 21:08

by AT333 » Mar 1st, '15, 21:08

mr mopu wrote:
AT333 wrote:Pu of the day is a wonderful 2005 Sheng Dayi. This tea comes in a set of 1kg size brick in Sheng and shou but I can only afford the Sheng. A nice drink for a cold day. :mrgreen:
Please a link for the source of this one? :D
I bought it from a teahouse some time ago. They seems to ran out of it and I am not sure where to find it online. :?

Mar 1st, '15, 21:27

by shah82 » Mar 1st, '15, 21:27

Use donghetea.com to find out what people are talking about which Dayi products.

Mar 2nd, '15, 05:56

by mr mopu » Mar 2nd, '15, 05:56

shah82 wrote:Use donghetea.com to find out what people are talking about which Dayi products.
Thanks shah. :D

Mar 4th, '15, 18:09

by shah82 » Mar 4th, '15, 18:09

Using this spot for shu reviews...

Yesterday, did an unknown shu. Best guess is that it's an 8592/7592 from the early 2k's, and that it might have been an attempted fake of Menghai Chachang productions from those times. It has the same basic character as the White2tea white wrapper shu from '98--sweet aroma like caramel, a certain kind of TCM shu funk at base, smooth, decent thickness. This is not as strong as the white wrapper tuo in taste, but the taste is generally better. However, again, not really a strong tea and dies in about six or seven brews. I'm a little leery of drinking unknown shu, so even though I have a full cake of this, I may well put it away for a more desperate time.

'08 Haichao shu once sold by white2tea today. This is one of those shu that isn't offensive, but kind of sucks for attentive drinking. The steepster reviews generally have it right. Grease cleaning duties. I did entertain the notion that the flavor might indicate JingGu origin shu, but I really have no idea.

Mar 4th, '15, 21:31

by mr mopu » Mar 4th, '15, 21:31

Having Wymm’s Jingmai Spring from 2013.
I dropped it in the easy steeper and gave a short 5 second wash to start out. First brew also at 5 seconds. A nice orchid/floral aroma comes off this one from the cup. The color is a light golden honey color. I get into the cup and finally a Jingmai that is strong and sweet and no overly citrus y.
I usually don’t have a pen-chance for Jingmai tea for this reason. This is one that goes in the other direction. It has a good mouth-feel to it. Very thick across the tongue. It has a nice floral note that drifts into sweetness. This is no doubt first flush Spring tea as it has vigor to it. A nice sense of calm after drinking this and it has gone a cup or two a day for three days now. Nice tea.

Flavors: Floral, Honey, Sweet, Thick

Mar 4th, '15, 22:42

by Tead Off » Mar 4th, '15, 22:42

Re-visiting the 2008 Red Mark from Wistaria. This is a tea that is perplexing. The price tag vs. the enjoyment do not match up at all. It is smoky. It is slightly wet stored. It is rough in the finish. It is incredibly long lasting. But, there is no enjoyment for me in the drinking of it. Usually a tea like this smooths out after a number of brews and becomes accessible. After a dozen or so brews, the same taste, same roughness, some smoke and wetness. Eventually I gave up on it. Why drink anything that is not enjoyable unless it is medicine. And this, isn't medicine. :D

Mar 5th, '15, 04:09

by Rui » Mar 5th, '15, 04:09

2014 YS Autumn Qing Mei Shan Old Arbor Pu'er. Young tea but very enjoyable.

Mar 5th, '15, 04:23

by BW85 » Mar 5th, '15, 04:23

Tead Off wrote:Re-visiting the 2008 Red Mark from Wistaria. This is a tea that is perplexing. The price tag vs. the enjoyment do not match up at all. It is smoky. It is slightly wet stored. It is rough in the finish. It is incredibly long lasting. But, there is no enjoyment for me in the drinking of it. Usually a tea like this smooths out after a number of brews and becomes accessible. After a dozen or so brews, the same taste, same roughness, some smoke and wetness. Eventually I gave up on it. Why drink anything that is not enjoyable unless it is medicine. And this, isn't medicine. :D
Is it possible that it's intended for long term aging? I thought I read somewhere about it being a recreation of the 50's red mark

+ Post Reply