Official Pu of the day

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Oct 5th, '15, 00:21
Vendor Member

Re: Official Pu of the day

by jayinhk » Oct 5th, '15, 00:21

Loose ripe pu erh from one of two merchants across the street from my home office. Haven't had any in a while. Poured my brother a glass and he was very impressed. He said he doesn't usually like bo lei, but the tea wasn't musty at all. It brews thick, but it is very smooth drinking too.

Oct 6th, '15, 04:28

by Rui » Oct 6th, '15, 04:28

2014 raw pu'er cake from Mee Heung Cheung tea co. in HK. Clean (no sediment or cloudiness), smooth and cheap pu'er tea cake. It was a pleasure to deal with the gentleman in the shop who was immediately ready to prepare us pu'er tea while we explained to him what we were looking for.

Oct 6th, '15, 07:42

by AdmiralKelvinator » Oct 6th, '15, 07:42

Not exactly a pu, but heicha so close enough I guess.

Drinking a sample of a fu brick given to me by a taiwanese vendor. My first time to drink fu, and I have to say I'm quite pleasantly surprised. I was expecting something in vein of musty raw puerh or maybe ripe, but the taste is totally different from either. It brews up a nice deep orange and has a dominant flavor akin to something like sour cherries with some nice cooling and activity in the mouth. Definitely more sour than I expected, but overall quite interesting. The jinhua are evident on the brick tho much smaller than I imagined them to be. About the size of a pinprick.

Anyone else had a similar taste profile from a fu brick before?

Oct 7th, '15, 16:14
Scrolling: scrolling

by William » Oct 7th, '15, 16:14

Wild Da Xue Shan (2015) brewed with a simple yet of quality gaiwan, wonderful tea!

Oct 10th, '15, 00:23

by Puerlife » Oct 10th, '15, 00:23

EoT's 2015 Huang Shan Shu (it's sheng, not shu). Really pure. Really powerful, but in a way only good tea is. I've only had 4 rounds of 3.3 grams so far but feel like I've had a whole session. :mrgreen:

Oct 13th, '15, 16:35

by bellmont » Oct 13th, '15, 16:35

TU's 14' Xikong. Chocolate, tannin-y without mouth drying, morphed into fruit later steeps. Hint of mushroom-y earth throughout the session. Really interested in seeing how this one ages. 5g, 60ml gaiwan, 12 steeps of interest. Probably my favorite TU pressing I have had to date.

Oct 14th, '15, 04:06

by Jaymo » Oct 14th, '15, 04:06

Today was my '09 Dayi 0622. Outside of nice *old* cakes, this is one of my favorite Dayi shengs. I've been brewing it in a gaiwan most of the time recently, but today I used an unglazed kyusu from Inge Nielsen. My experience with this pot in general has been that it rounds out teas a lot, getting rid of a lot of harsh notes (if they exist) and bringing some sweetness more forward.

This tea is still young enough that it has a moderate grassiness and some bitter/astringent qualities, all in low enough amounts to be seemingly appropriate/enjoyable. This pot mellows those things out enough that a hint of smoke comes out of hiding, but in small enough amounts that it didn't really bother me. I think I prefer this one in my gaiwan overall, but I'll have to compare them side-by-side sometime!

Oct 15th, '15, 21:38

by gasninja » Oct 15th, '15, 21:38

80's Ba Bao Liu Bao with a piece of sinking Malaysian Aloeswood in the pot. I have not experienced qi like this in a tea this young. I hope EOT will be restocking this. Normally you would have to look to teas from the 50s and older to find this type of cha qi.

Oct 15th, '15, 23:45

by kyarazen » Oct 15th, '15, 23:45

gasninja wrote:80's Ba Bao Liu Bao with a piece of sinking Malaysian Aloeswood in the pot. I have not experienced qi like this in a tea this young. I hope EOT will be restocking this. Normally you would have to look to teas from the 50s and older to find this type of cha qi.
sounds delicious! having agarwood into your aged tea brings new dimensions.. :)

Oct 17th, '15, 16:04

by Zacherywolf7 » Oct 17th, '15, 16:04

Drinking the Milk Cream and Alcohol from White2Tea from this year. It has been a good one out of my gaiwan, akin to a factory production with botique vendor grace. I decided to do it in my yixing today and I highly recommend this combo. It really pops.The liquid smells like lemongrass and kaffir (I have been smelling way to many thai spices in my teas lately :lol: ) The taste is sublime I would have never thought of it as I did out of the gaiwan when drinking from the pot. Lots of pandanus, that oaty taste of milk once you have finished the cereal with a little bit of astrigency on the swallow. The mouthfeel is silky.

Happy drinking everyone.

Oct 18th, '15, 11:10

by dragoran » Oct 18th, '15, 11:10

This morning, I've been having some of the 2008 Mengku Mu Ye Chun "Ming Qian Chun Jian" that Yunnan Sourcing sells. I bought this one back in 2011, and have been keeping about a third of it stashed away in the back of my tea closet. Aging has been slow, though I think it's picked up a bit of additional sweetness on top of its usual Lincang-ish flavors (the odd thing about Lincang tea is that I can definitely recognize its flavor/aroma, but I cannot put my finger on how to describe it); at any rate, I don't seem to have killed it with my benign neglect. It's a pretty decent tea, with an enduring finish and a reasonable amount of energy/possibly qi.

I pulled this one out to compare to the Lincang tea orbs from this month's White2tea tea club, the second of which I had yesterday. While they both have that aroma I mentioned, the orbs seem to have a stronger body and a bit more sweetness to them; they're less bitter, and maybe meatier, too. On the whole, they're the better tea--probably one of the better teas I've had from that region in a while, to be honest--and I'd consider getting more of them, if that were possible.

[Edit in the interests of not double posting] My second tea of the day has been one simply labeled "2006 XBZ" that I got from the White2tea tea sale this summer (I'm guessing Xin Ban Zhang, but I'm not really sure). It's a bit of an odd one; something with the storage, perhaps, has given the first few steeps an odd, vegetal nature in the top taste that's not at all pleasant. After pushing through those, though, an underlying plumminess finally breaks through to the fore, and the tea becomes quite excellent. The flavor never really gives up during the later infusions, although I do have to push it a bit hard (three minutes on the final steep). As I'm doing so, the texture body remains thick and acquires an almost soapy texture, which isn't as unpleasant as it sounds. The finish throughout has been long, throat-clenching, and, during the middle steeps, a bit cooling, and it's got a mild, calming qi. This really strikes me as a quality tea, though I'm not sure what to do about those initial steeps; airing it out for a while might help.

Oct 20th, '15, 11:51

by debunix » Oct 20th, '15, 11:51

Last of many infusions of 2010 Pa Sha Zhong Zhai sheng from Norbu, enjoyed from a small Petr Novak cup. Brewed the tea starting several days ago in my little Treebark ‘Ent’ pot from Petr, and kept at it, a few infusion each evening, until today it feels done.

Oct 22nd, '15, 02:15

by Tead Off » Oct 22nd, '15, 02:15

2011 4 Peaks Lao Man E Summer from TU. Almost 5 years old and has not lost its smokiness nor bitterness. In fact, it might be worse. :shock: I keep asking myself what possessed me to buy this? This cake is going back into the storage for another 5 years.

Oct 22nd, '15, 04:46

by TaoTeaKing » Oct 22nd, '15, 04:46

Tead Off wrote:2011 4 Peaks Lao Man E Summer from TU. Almost 5 years old and has not lost its smokiness nor bitterness. In fact, it might be worse. :shock: I keep asking myself what possessed me to buy this? This cake is going back into the storage for another 5 years.
I just tried the spring version ( http://teaurchin.com/shop-for-tea/puer/ ... pring.html ) tea yesterday, when my TU package arrived... i bought just a sample of it, because the description sounded interesting.

It was a quite challenging encounter. Very complex, super bitter, only a slight but quite nice base-sweetness ... a very bitter aftertaste ... but, i have to say, i liked it and i would drink it from time to time.
This tea is really very complex and interesting to taste... i was torn between bitter and sweet in a very harsh way :roll:

Now i`m drinking the Yiwu Peacock Blend 2013 Spring (TU) ... very comfortable, easy going. :)

Oct 22nd, '15, 09:48

by Tead Off » Oct 22nd, '15, 09:48

But is yours full of smoke? This is smokey to a fault.

+ Post Reply