Official Pu of the day

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

May 16th, '13, 11:28
Vendor Member

Re: Official Pu of the day

by TIM » May 16th, '13, 11:28

A young raw, but extremely satisfying. 2007 Wisteria Hong Yin (Red Label)

Thanks Brandon for the treat! T

May 16th, '13, 15:06

by gasninja » May 16th, '13, 15:06

Can't wait for my wisteria hong yin. Its in the mail.

Todays combo 4 grams 06 Xi Zhi Hao LBZ Black Label and five grams of the white label LBZ. I think I could drink this every day and not get bored l. Very potent

May 16th, '13, 15:45

by Tobias » May 16th, '13, 15:45

90's CNNP Guǎng Yún Gòng, not bad but it has very little in common with early GYG and it tastes just like hēichá.

May 16th, '13, 15:48

by JakubT » May 16th, '13, 15:48

I enjoyed the 2007 Wistaria's Hongyin yesterday. Not really my top-favourite style of puerh, but in the genre, it is a very good piece.

Now, I'm having 2001 Dayi Banzhang from Origintea in a tester. I quite like it. It had some weird storage or something aroma when dry and even when rinsed, the aroma is rather chaotic. But it works kind of well in mouth, with some activity. And it is not too dry; I had a bit of an issue with that with some of Origintea's teas.

I don't think there is too much of Banzhang leaves in there, but there should be some.

May 16th, '13, 16:45

by shah82 » May 16th, '13, 16:45

Going through a disappointing session with the '09 Bulang 200g Lan Xiang bing from YS bought some time ago...

What genre was the Hongyin? I had thought it was something very Menghai-y...

Also note that Dayi bokchoy cakes, the good ones (like the one Apache got) are advertised at well over $1k/357g. Moreover, there are *lots* of bokchoys around. I didn't see a wrapper at Origintea, so I wouldn't know which 2001 it is. Albeit, from my vague memories from the last time I surfed Donhetea, there aren't many different versions of the very old ones.

May 16th, '13, 17:21

by apache » May 16th, '13, 17:21

shah82 wrote:...
Also note that Dayi bokchoy cakes, the good ones (like the one Apache got) are advertised at well over $1k/357g. Moreover, there are *lots* of bokchoys around. I didn't see a wrapper at Origintea, so I wouldn't know which 2001 it is. Albeit, from my vague memories from the last time I surfed Donhetea, there aren't many different versions of the very old ones.
I have to put the record straight, I don't have a single Bokchoy cakes. I only had a sample of 2002 Chawang Qingbing with Hobbes sometime ago this year. That's one of those teas I don't think I would ever forget but it's well beyond my mean and I settled with a lesser alternative. With most of those Bokchoy series of cakes, as you know, they are worth ¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥, so there are many many fake in the market. That 2002 Chawang now is c.12000 rmb per cake or c.34 rmb per g.

Even though I don't have any Chawang cake, but the Chawang experience helps me to seek out any hint of that taste profile on other cakes or bricks. And I could tell you that cakes or bricks with some shadow of that taste profile do exist.

May 16th, '13, 17:29

by shah82 » May 16th, '13, 17:29

I did mean sample! Slip on my part.

Need to send you guys the XZH daughter brick sample...

May 16th, '13, 17:31

by TokyoB » May 16th, '13, 17:31

JakubT wrote:I enjoyed the 2007 Wistaria's Hongyin yesterday. Not really my top-favourite style of puerh, but in the genre, it is a very good piece.

Now, I'm having 2001 Dayi Banzhang from Origintea in a tester. I quite like it. It had some weird storage or something aroma when dry and even when rinsed, the aroma is rather chaotic. But it works kind of well in mouth, with some activity. And it is not too dry; I had a bit of an issue with that with some of Origintea's teas.

I don't think there is too much of Banzhang leaves in there, but there should be some.
Jakub - how is the hong yin (red mark) relative to the lan yin (blue mark) that was in the tasting set? I thought the lan yin was a good Menghai with some very noticeable initial sweetness, showing some decent aging but still a bit rough.

May 16th, '13, 18:41

by tenuki » May 16th, '13, 18:41

2001 'aroma from wild' thin paper version from Bana tea co. I'm actually amazed at this tea - spot on for what I'm looking for. Delicate, round, sweet-dark and thick underpinnings with strong grounding chi and long lingering aftertaste. I know there has been some talk on these forums about it being overpriced but I'm not marking that down on my paper. Well worth it, wish I had money for a tong, maybe I'll get another cake for my birthday!

edit: Forgot and overbrewed the third infusion - didn't bother the tea, not astringent, not bitter, just thicker. A few infusions in I'm getting fixated on the aroma - it's somehow taken over my nostrils and I'm smelling it strongly even when I'm not drinking the tea.

edit #2: Still going strong past infusion 15 - putting this tea to rest for the day, will see how it goes tomorrow. probably move it to my sheng pot.

May 17th, '13, 02:50

by lordsbm » May 17th, '13, 02:50

Just drank the 2008 Bang Dong old arbor tree sample which came with 2 ti/tong.

Aging well and fast even for Guangzhou stored. Storage is good a s there's no dui wei. Surprisingly it had 桂圆香 on first 4 steeps, then changed to slight 参香, then ended with grass jelly flavor.

Brew is smooth and buttery, refreshing light brew with little astringent, but barely any bitterness. Sweetness is good enough, huigan & shengjin is good too.

Got it during group sales, which was very cheap but normal price aren't expensive also.

May 17th, '13, 15:47
Scrolling: scrolling

by Drax » May 17th, '13, 15:47

I'm currently enjoying the afternoon with a "bucket" pu that I picked up while in Singapore. I don't know what else to call it. It's the type of loose pu that seems to be everywhere and just sits around in jars. I bought this one because it had a striking earthy aroma. It's actually pretty good, probably in the 10+ year range if not 15. And a great deal at 8 cents per gram...
bucket_sheng.jpg
Bucket sheng.
bucket_sheng.jpg (33.54 KiB) Viewed 2169 times

May 18th, '13, 07:06

by quikstep » May 18th, '13, 07:06

Had this in the afternoon where it's scorching hot outside.

Image credit YS. CNNP 2003 Meng Song Qiao Mu Iron Beeng.

The cake is very nice smelling with a hint of osmanthus flower. No more wet storage smell or taste.

Taste wise, has plenty of chaqi and is very clean taste. Not bitter or astringent anymore. Maybe just a hint. Very good for thirst quenching. The soup is only dark yellow/light orange in color.

Other than that, there's not much to be described. Maybe it's still slumbering as the shop keeper told me it spent a very great part of it's decade in Yunnan.

According to YS, it's probably an unauthorized CNNP product. Does not disturb me at all as it's clearly qiao mu material.

May 18th, '13, 14:13

by chin » May 18th, '13, 14:13

quikstep wrote:Had this in the afternoon where it's scorching hot outside.

Image credit YS. CNNP 2003 Meng Song Qiao Mu Iron Beeng.

The cake is very nice smelling with a hint of osmanthus flower. No more wet storage smell or taste.

Taste wise, has plenty of chaqi and is very clean taste. Not bitter or astringent anymore. Maybe just a hint. Very good for thirst quenching. The soup is only dark yellow/light orange in color.

Other than that, there's not much to be described. Maybe it's still slumbering as the shop keeper told me it spent a very great part of it's decade in Yunnan.

According to YS, it's probably an unauthorized CNNP product. Does not disturb me at all as it's clearly qiao mu material.
Had this too. I find it a great tea for enjoyment especially no bitter and astringent after more than 10yrs of storage. Good hui gan and sheng jin. As for the price it seems like quite reasonable. Personal opinion, the quality exceeds the price. Another 10yrs will be a superb tea.

May 18th, '13, 18:45

by puerhking » May 18th, '13, 18:45

2010 Shi Kun Mu Pin Jian -

This is really tasty right now....wish I had a couple more.

May 18th, '13, 18:57

by BioHorn » May 18th, '13, 18:57

1996 Xia Guan Butterfly Spring Tuo

10 grams in 110 ml pot
I believe this is one of Ginko's (Life in Teacup) teas.

I peeked already (after brewing) and saw this tuo has drawn some varying comments.

Bi-polar keeps coming to mind.

There are numerous white flecks appearing to indicate some extra-traditional storage (read, humid) at some point in this relatively aged cake. That given, it has a very bright and youthful side to it. Upon first sip there was an instant impact of a strong encompassing floral note (ever eaten Saltines stored in your mom's purse alongside her perfume?) I think that at some point, it may have seen quite dry storage. The days of youth and pungent leaf still reach out to firmly implant a piney durable seal. My son just commented, "Why does this tea make my mouth feel so dry?" That being said, it speaks also to the quality of the leaf used. But here all is not battery acid (I exaggerate), there is a more mature side that creeps out of the inital fireworks. Now being 7 or so brews in, I can say it has an additional bonus of long hui gan.

I woud really love to have a time machine and drink this tea after another 7-10 years of HK storage.

It seems to have quality leaf.

It seems tea with strong personality generates strong reactions. I would add this one to that group. It reminds me a bit of the '03 HK Henry Serously Formula 7542.

There are still 6 grams left to re-explore on a future occasion. Sorry for the blathering. If you made it here, thanks for reading.

+ Post Reply