Official Pu of the day

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Aug 24th, '16, 02:18

Re: Official Pu of the day

by Rui » Aug 24th, '16, 02:18

Rui wrote:
Rui wrote:
Rui wrote:
Rui wrote:Sipping a very nice 2012 Yiwu from Terre de Ciel in France. This 100gms cake is part of a set of 6 cakes from 6 different mountains.
Today was the turn of the 2012 Gedeng tea from the same series of cakes. Very nice too.
Today I am sipping tea from the Manzhuang cake of the same series. A bit more flavourful than the previous ones (or did I use more leaves?) still smooth, very mild and lightly sweet.
Today I am sipping the 5th of the 6 mountain teas: Mangzhi. Aromatic, light flavoured and with a sweet aftertaste.
Last tea of this 6 mountain series: Youle. The very aromatic, light flavoured and very smooth liquor is great for this time in the morning.

Aug 24th, '16, 02:23

by debunix » Aug 24th, '16, 02:23

Sounds like a very pleasing group of cakes.

Aug 25th, '16, 03:52

by Rui » Aug 25th, '16, 03:52

Today I am sipping 2016 YS Man Lin ancient arbor sheng once again. As mentioned before the aroma and mild apricot taste made me buy one of the cakes.

Aug 25th, '16, 04:37

by Rui » Aug 25th, '16, 04:37

debunix wrote:Sounds like a very pleasing group of cakes.
Yes, they have all been stored in France for the past few years and matured enough to show only minimum bitterness and/or astringency. Amongst them there are differences of course but it depends on each individual's taste.

Aug 25th, '16, 05:23

by kuánglóng » Aug 25th, '16, 05:23

Sipping some 2012 Sen Zhi Kui Bada Mtn. This is still pretty wild, in a nice way, but that's about it for me. I'd pick almost any Xiaguan tuo over this stuff any day of the week.

Next please ...

Aug 25th, '16, 06:58

by Rui » Aug 25th, '16, 06:58

With my lunch I am now sipping a 1999 shou from Canton Tea Company. No fermentation aroma or taste any longer just smoothness and sweetness.

Aug 26th, '16, 02:48

by Rui » Aug 26th, '16, 02:48

Today I am sipping a 2006 Jingmai raw pu'er from Terre de Ciel in France. Very mellow and great all around tea.

Aug 26th, '16, 05:05

by john.b » Aug 26th, '16, 05:05

I just reviewed a Jing Mai pu'er from the Golding shop in Malaysia (I think there are really two, one in KL and one in Penang).

It seemed nice to me but I don't drink all that much pu'er to be a great judge. Has anyone tried their tea?

Aug 29th, '16, 04:38

by kuánglóng » Aug 29th, '16, 04:38

Broke in to one of my GuangDong stored, almost black 2007 NanQiao iron cakes yesterday. I had a couple lying around for quite a while and most likely haven't paid much for them. After having drunken a bunch of aged Yiwus the night before this stuff is just what my system needed - a mighty but gentle, dark bitter wave that slowly spreads down into the upper stomach - all of us shared a similar somatic experience and enjoyed it quite a bit. Taste wise neither of us noticed any storage or off notes but distinct walnuts without any sharpness or adstringency and darker, dried apricots. Nothing overly complex but definitely interesting enough. What else? A sufficiently thick texture and some salivation during the first few rounds - we all felt deeply relaxed after about 8-9 steeps and didn't feel the need to go any further. Now, if I only remembered where I got this stuff from ... I might pick up some more.

Aug 29th, '16, 06:13
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Aug 29th, '16, 06:13

^ that sounds like nice storage!

Aug 29th, '16, 07:25

by kuánglóng » Aug 29th, '16, 07:25

jayinhk wrote:^ that sounds like nice storage!
Yeah, Jay. I'd guess that at some point those cakes must have undergone some fairly hot and humid treatment, maybe just 3 or so years in their early days but I've kept them in my standard multilayer bags since I've got them, about 2-3 years ago. Like I've mentioned they look pretty darn dark, almost black, the soup dark amber and the spent leaves are surprisingly tough and chewy after those steeps and didn't disintegrate between my fingers. Good stuff :)

Aug 29th, '16, 08:02
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Aug 29th, '16, 08:02

Sounds like good traditional storage followed by appropriate airing out. I haven't had any good traditional storage teas from Guangdong, but it sounds like a trip up to Fangcun is in order to see what the score is up there! ;)

Aug 29th, '16, 09:43

by kuánglóng » Aug 29th, '16, 09:43

jayinhk wrote:Sounds like good traditional storage followed by appropriate airing out. I haven't had any good traditional storage teas from Guangdong, but it sounds like a trip up to Fangcun is in order to see what the score is up there! ;)
They're usually not among my favorite teas either but a trip to Fangcun/Guangzhou sounds great anyway, Jay.
Can't wait to get back to China myself but that'll take another year; time to study some more Mandarin.

Aug 29th, '16, 11:24
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Aug 29th, '16, 11:24

Ah, I drink traditional storage sheng and shu all the time, and I sell the stuff too! Just curious as to what the offerings in GZ would be like. I have a cake that was stored in Guangdong, but the storage was wetter than I normally like and I prefer the HK storage (much more balanced than that cake). I'm sure there is well stored tea available in Guangzhou too (only an hour or so away from here)!

Aug 29th, '16, 13:41

by kuánglóng » Aug 29th, '16, 13:41

jayinhk wrote:Ah, I drink traditional storage sheng and shu all the time, and I sell the stuff too!
I know, Jay. It's just that for some reason my old body has developed a preference for younger, less oxidised teas, especially over the last two years; it doesn't even accept second flush Darjeelings, darker oolongs and hong cha anymore. I'm surprised how positively it reacted to the Nan Qiao yesterday, couldn't get enough.
Just curious as to what the offerings in GZ would be like. I have a cake that was stored in Guangdong, but the storage was wetter than I normally like and I prefer the HK storage (much more balanced than that cake). I'm sure there is well stored tea available in Guangzhou too (only an hour or so away from here)!
Man, I wish I could just jump into a well sorted tea store and chose from a nice variety of sheng pu - no such thing over here, just the WWW - Enjoy your trip!

Back OT. Having some of William's (bannacha) 2014 Spring Mangfei in the Gaiwan. More dynamic and less adstringent than the 2008 he sold some years ago. Fairly herbal, slighly brothy and perfumy flavor with strong notes of vetiver in the cup and nose and a similar calming effect after some initial caffeine buzz. Slightly dry mouthfeel but a lasting warmth deep down in the throat, long aftertaste and good for 10+ interesting steeps (5g/60ml).

+ Post Reply