Official Pu of the day

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Dec 1st, '16, 05:06

Re: Official Pu of the day

by Rui » Dec 1st, '16, 05:06

kuánglóng wrote:Whoa ... that one would look pretty good in my collection :) - looking forward to your tasting notes, Rui.
I really like a lot of the Mengkus I've tried and bought a 2006 MuShu (first batch) some weeks ago - really tasty, dry aged stuff. I guess I have to buy a couple more cakes for my stash.
In my collection I also have a couple more Mengku's but they are far too bitter for me at the moment. Both of the cakes are in humidors at 75% relative humidity.

This one has a very nice aroma of dry storage and I'll be looking forward to try it this weekend. If you like check my Instagram post on Saturday to see at least the colour of the liquor.

Dec 1st, '16, 05:08

by Rui » Dec 1st, '16, 05:08

Haddemall wrote:You are a brave man and yes, we will all blame you :D :wink:
So far I have had no complains about this Aliexpress store and all the teas so far have been genuine and historically well stored.

Dec 1st, '16, 06:45

by mr mopu » Dec 1st, '16, 06:45

Rui wrote:
Haddemall wrote:You are a brave man and yes, we will all blame you :D :wink:
So far I have had no complains about this Aliexpress store and all the teas so far have been genuine and historically well stored.
If it is King Tea store I will vouch as well.

Dec 1st, '16, 07:14

by Haddemall » Dec 1st, '16, 07:14

Sorry if I was unclear. Didn't mean to question the store, just thought it was brave to buy that big a cake in one go. Maybe you know this cake well, Rui.

Dec 1st, '16, 08:12

by Rui » Dec 1st, '16, 08:12

Haddemall wrote:Sorry if I was unclear. Didn't mean to question the store, just thought it was brave to buy that big a cake in one go. Maybe you know this cake well, Rui.
Not this particular cake but I have sipped tea from a sample of this same tea.

Dec 2nd, '16, 23:09
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Dec 2nd, '16, 23:09

Drinking 2008 Dayi gongting shu from a 100g cake that I've had for a year--it's really become something sweet and smooth since escaping Kunming. Using a F2/F5 zisha tea set I picked up for a very good price. The cups reduce the aroma and flavor of the tea but also make it smoother--I'll reserve this set for traditional storage shu and heavy traditional storage sheng as it would make them incredibly smooth to drink and knock off all storage aromas. The dry storage stuff doesn't need the muting and would be better in higher fired/finer clay. This stuff is so clean it would excel in modern zhuni/hongni/porcelain too--no off flavors at all and it has a super delicate almost baby powder-like floral sweetness to it that developed over the year. I have another four or five cakes of this and I'm considering picking up another dozen or more to age. So delicious!

Dec 6th, '16, 02:57

by Rui » Dec 6th, '16, 02:57

Autumn 2016 Jingmai Ancient Trees from Farmerleaf. Out of this world gushu aroma, smooth and with a slight sweetness followed by a slight bitterness which should disappear with time.

Dec 6th, '16, 06:32

by kuánglóng » Dec 6th, '16, 06:32

Rui wrote:Autumn 2016 Jingmai Ancient Trees from Farmerleaf. Out of this world gushu aroma, smooth and with a slight sweetness followed by a slight bitterness which should disappear with time.
Good news, Rui. I've had it on my short list for a couple days and will place an order today. Besides I'm a sucker for 100g cakes and am pretty happy about W's decision to offer them from now on.

Dec 6th, '16, 07:30

by Rui » Dec 6th, '16, 07:30

kuánglóng wrote:
Rui wrote:Autumn 2016 Jingmai Ancient Trees from Farmerleaf. Out of this world gushu aroma, smooth and with a slight sweetness followed by a slight bitterness which should disappear with time.
Good news, Rui. I've had it on my short list for a couple days and will place an order today. Besides I'm a sucker for 100g cakes and am pretty happy about W's decision to offer them from now on.
I also ordered a sample which is what I am sipping at the moment.

Dec 6th, '16, 17:18

by mr mopu » Dec 6th, '16, 17:18

Having Menghai’s ‘Legend of TaeTea’ today.
I just updated this one after some research. It has older tea leaf in this cake. Stored as MaoCha and then they were pressed into cakes.

I pulled 9 grams off the cake to start with and gave a 5 second rinse. There is color in the rinse that would support the older material.
I started steeping at 5 second increments. The color on th e brews is a nice golden. The aroma has the camphor humid type note to it. This is confirmed upon drinking the tea. You can taste the humidity and the camphor notes along with some mineral in there. The leaf was pretty tightly pressed and there is some bitterness in there as well. This thing is very similar in profile to EoT’s Baotang. It has good storage without being too wet. It gives some tongue tingle and it exudes mintiness breathing it in and out for a minute or so. This thing feels almost like a supercharged ‘7542’ hits all the good notes for me.
Last edited by mr mopu on Dec 9th, '16, 20:20, edited 1 time in total.

Dec 8th, '16, 05:56

by Rui » Dec 8th, '16, 05:56

1999 CNNP old tree cooked pu'er brick from Canton Tea Company in UK. It reminds me so much of the very first aged shou I sipped in my life: sweet, no longer much fermentation aroma/taste of note, smooth, forest floor after rain aroma, earthy, etc.

Dec 8th, '16, 07:29
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Dec 8th, '16, 07:29

2006 CNNP brick--HK stored. Light traditional storage, so no visible mold. Wet leaves smell a bit musty, but it is sweet and smooth in the cup with a touch of camphor and a touch of the pleasant date aroma. I think I prefer dry storage 7581 for the sweet smell, but this stuff is really very smooth to drink! Would make quite a good regular drinker.

Dec 9th, '16, 06:50

by Rui » Dec 9th, '16, 06:50

Macallan 18 years old Scotch, does it that count as tea? It does look like it to me. :lol:

Dec 9th, '16, 07:58

by kuánglóng » Dec 9th, '16, 07:58

Rui wrote:Macallan 18 years old Scotch, does it that count as tea? It does look like it to me. :lol:
After how many cups? :lol:
As long as they sell stuff like this 2012 TF XG as "tea" almost anything drinkable counts.
This is the most smokey XG I've had over the years and I've tried quite a few. I guess it's not that bad if it's 50° below zero and you desperately need something hot to drink but you might as well brew up some cigar stumps, yuk. Anyway, a friend of mine likes these tuos quite a bit and gave me some nice, aged green Jia Ji's in exchange, a win-win of sorts :D

Back to some Ban Payasi ...
Attachments
DSCF0036-dcfo-sm.jpg
DSCF0036-dcfo-sm.jpg (105.63 KiB) Viewed 281 times

Dec 9th, '16, 10:33
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Dec 9th, '16, 10:33

That smokey stuff needs good storage to show its true colors! It just isn't ready to drink yet. :)

+ Post Reply