Official Pu of the day

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Nov 26th, '14, 07:10

Re: Official Pu of the day

by chrl42 » Nov 26th, '14, 07:10

03 Dayi 'Red thread' Tuo. Dry-stored in Guangdong.

Very similar to Feng Qing Tuo...seriously, except this one being a Dayi and 3x higher in price than FQ...I really can't find answer to choose.

Followed by 04 Longyuanhao Xishuang Banna Welcomes You.

This is rather interesting tea, this sucked 2~3 years ago that I put it on my shelf...this time I took it out and it changed very positively, started to get woody...tea is like life....you are never gonna know how it ends! :D

Nov 28th, '14, 09:38
Vendor Member

by TwoDog2 » Nov 28th, '14, 09:38

chrl42 wrote: Very similar to Feng Qing Tuo...seriously, except this one being a Dayi and 3x higher in price than FQ...I really can't find answer to choose.

This brings up a very important point that the most expensive tea is not always the best tea.

Nov 28th, '14, 10:19

by chrl42 » Nov 28th, '14, 10:19

TwoDog2 wrote:
chrl42 wrote: Very similar to Feng Qing Tuo...seriously, except this one being a Dayi and 3x higher in price than FQ...I really can't find answer to choose.

This brings up a very important point that the most expensive tea is not always the best tea.
What do you mean? Are you saying the Dayi Tuo is a fake? :lol:

Nov 28th, '14, 10:51
Vendor Member

by TwoDog2 » Nov 28th, '14, 10:51

chrl42 wrote: What do you mean? Are you saying the Dayi Tuo is a fake? :lol:
Oops! Not at all - just the last line of the post, that the most expensive tea is not always the best.

Even in a blind taste test, with real Dayi and real Fengqing, many people would prefer the less expensive tea. More expensive doesn't always mean better.

Nov 28th, '14, 11:04

by chrl42 » Nov 28th, '14, 11:04

TwoDog2 wrote:
chrl42 wrote: What do you mean? Are you saying the Dayi Tuo is a fake? :lol:
Oops! Not at all - just the last line of the post, that the most expensive tea is not always the best.

Even in a blind taste test, with real Dayi and real Fengqing, many people would prefer the less expensive tea. More expensive doesn't always mean better.
I agree. And I've been always on a minor side.

Those Dayi or LBZ (at least as they claimed) never really stroke me..I have been always more towards XG/Yiwu stuffs..

It's like music..I've never been into mainstream music...I've been always 'indie' kind of guy...but at least I prefer 'better' stuff within the selected areas, and I think that's enough :lol:

Nov 30th, '14, 20:31

by debunix » Nov 30th, '14, 20:31

2006 Yong De Zi Yu wild arbor tea from Norbu, from a beautiful braided beeng. The smoky notes do not fade as quickly as I'd like, and it suffers in comparison to the Pa Sha Zhong Zhai that I've been enjoying. Still, warm and pleasant for a cool damp evening.

Dec 1st, '14, 17:57

by Zacherywolf7 » Dec 1st, '14, 17:57

"Relaxing uplifting Qi. Long transformative aftertaste. Wild flowers." is what I wrote in my journal about White2Tea's Repave. The aftertaste is seriously ridiculous. It was with me hours later and throughout a snack, brushing my teeth and lunch. Getting into middle aged, still heathily bitter.

Dec 2nd, '14, 21:21

by BioHorn » Dec 2nd, '14, 21:21

Day two of a '97 Orange Mark 7542 from The Chinese Tea Shop, Vancouver. Possibly HK stored as it had a decent frosting on the leaf. Unfortunately it does lack a bit of depth and vibrancy (like a rainbow missing a few colors.)
Inaugural brew from a new 80 ml Petr Novak treebark pot.

Dec 2nd, '14, 23:39

by debunix » Dec 2nd, '14, 23:39

BioHorn wrote:Inaugural brew from a new 80 ml Petr Novak treebark pot.
Bet that brightened up the session, even with a lackluster tea....

Dec 4th, '14, 02:41

by Teaism » Dec 4th, '14, 02:41

Enjoying a 2007 Youle. This piece won a silver medal in that year. Taking my sweet time to brew and enjoy it, on a nice cool and cloudy day. Youle is typically more aromatic and highly enjoyable when young. When it aged, the aroma retreat a little and replaced by its inherent fruity sweetness.

Yummy!

Cheers! :D

Dec 5th, '14, 08:01

by AdmiralKelvinator » Dec 5th, '14, 08:01

Today's Pu: '03 Ziyin (Nannuo) produced by Wistaria House. 8g in a 120ml yixing.

Really enjoying this cake more and more every time I dip into it. In comparison to the '03 Zipin (Wistaria's Yiwu), this one doesn't seem to present quite as complex a flavor profile, but the flavor it does have is deep, strong and long lasting. Someone said previously that this tea feels very "masculine" and I tend to agree. Notes of tobacco and leather predominate. This tea feels like it could last until tomorrow.

Dec 5th, '14, 12:44

by Poseidon » Dec 5th, '14, 12:44

Last night a had my 180ml Kyusu brewing the 2012 Yunnan Sourcing "Impression" Raw Cake. Its quite strong for me, but I love to brew it at a 1:1 ratio with flash steeps to 10 second steeps. I only got about 3 steeps in and decided to leave it to brew in the morning. This mornings cup was very nice! Light, due to the ratio, but still has the raw flavor. :mrgreen:

Dec 5th, '14, 19:37

by bankung » Dec 5th, '14, 19:37

2012 LBZ from Banatea

A typical LBZ character. Deep and nicely spread huigan, thick in the mouth, not overly bitter. However, there is some astringency and dryness of which that I can't find in other real LBZ samples. It is also not as smooth as I think it should be.

Continue with 2011 Chan' Thousand Charm. This is a solid lincang example. Thick, moderately bitter with nice sweetness and plenty of strength. Aroma from a few initial infusions is a bit muted and unusual. The later infusions seem to be more in the way. Might be the storage?

Dec 5th, '14, 21:39

by shah82 » Dec 5th, '14, 21:39

Banzhang *should* be astringent. It's this particular astringent character that keeps flavor in your mouth. It will eventually smooth out though...

Dec 5th, '14, 23:51

by wert » Dec 5th, '14, 23:51

Tried more of an unknown generic early 2000s CNNP zhongcha. It feels different from the last few times, too much tea maybe? The first couple of brews is astringent, frankly quite unpleasant. It settle down and laste for many rounds. The aftertaste is quite lasting and some sweet notes start to come through. It is something that can brew all day(weakly).

I think this tea should be brewed with far less leaf than I had used this round.

+ Post Reply