Official Pu of the day

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Jan 30th, '13, 15:45

Re: Official Pu of the day

by debunix » Jan 30th, '13, 15:45

The verdict was unanimous this morning: earthy tea was requested by the office gang for a snuffly winter day, so out came the 2007 Rui Cao Liang sheng from Yunnan Sourcing, comforting, friendly, earthy, and mellow. Happy campers up and down the hallway now--today's tea distribution included 5 colleagues, including one new person who now has an official tea cup.

Jan 30th, '13, 16:04
Scrolling: scrolling

by Devoted135 » Jan 30th, '13, 16:04

debunix wrote:The verdict was unanimous this morning: earthy tea was requested by the office gang for a snuffly winter day, so out came the 2007 Rui Cao Liang sheng from Yunnan Sourcing, comforting, friendly, earthy, and mellow. Happy campers up and down the hallway now--today's tea distribution included 5 colleagues, including one new person who now has an official tea cup.
Oh man, I want to work where you work!

Jan 30th, '13, 21:13
Scrolling: scrolling

by Jspigs » Jan 30th, '13, 21:13

Devoted135 wrote:
debunix wrote:The verdict was unanimous this morning: earthy tea was requested by the office gang for a snuffly winter day, so out came the 2007 Rui Cao Liang sheng from Yunnan Sourcing, comforting, friendly, earthy, and mellow. Happy campers up and down the hallway now--today's tea distribution included 5 colleagues, including one new person who now has an official tea cup.
Oh man, I want to work where you work!
I second that!

Feb 2nd, '13, 22:22
Vendor Member

by TIM » Feb 2nd, '13, 22:22

2009 Yi Dao high mountain Sheung Puerh tonight. 'Oolong Puerh' processing... Good material, not time proven process (modern). High aroma, flat in the body, and not aging well so far.

Feb 3rd, '13, 00:09

by debunix » Feb 3rd, '13, 00:09

"Oolong puerh" processing???

Feb 3rd, '13, 00:17
Vendor Member

by TIM » Feb 3rd, '13, 00:17

debunix wrote:"Oolong puerh" processing???
Those high aromatic new style Puerh which goes stale in 8 plus years. They can't age and a total waste of time and money.

Feb 3rd, '13, 01:46

by shah82 » Feb 3rd, '13, 01:46

Some of them are fine (if a little tragic because they were made of really good material).

But yes, most puerh that are oolonged to the point that the top taste is rather flat in a year or two are probably going to make for relatively boring tea in the long run. If it's done right, it's only a little oolonged. The other real danger of oolonged puerh is that they become harsh in the throat after a few brews.

Right now, I can't really tell oolong puerh by aroma. Better puerh in general have stronger, higher aroma. TIM, how would you tell a oolonged puerh from a really good puerh by aroma? Is it extra fruity? Extra floral? I'd have to go by whether the taste is lively and how it feels in the throat.

Feb 3rd, '13, 06:14

by apache » Feb 3rd, '13, 06:14

I hope you guys don't mind if I chip in. IMHO, when I choose pu for aging or even for drinking now, I normally don't pay much attention of floral aroma, I go for body, texture, durability, huigan and feel. I'm a bit like my chosen avatar, complete opposition of TIM's, don't have much sense of smell. A very aromatic tea like oolongs or most green tea would be wasted on me. Most of them also don't have that thick texture I find in pu which I crave. Having said that, occasionally I do notice some tea have some interesting youthful taste, e.g. 2011 Dayi Jin.

Feb 3rd, '13, 13:03

by fdrx » Feb 3rd, '13, 13:03

You are correct, another Jin Dayi ’11 review…
  • Wet leaves aroma: burnt pine wood, thyme, a hint of leather
    Taste: very particular. smoked taste, thyme, pepper, spices... not much chenwei for a ’11 dayi of this kind, or is it me? Tastes bada area plantations [Edit] blended with some mengsong/baotang [/Edit]
    Huigan: yes… a few good “intoxicating” effects for a young sheng (if it means something...)
    Aftertaste: sweet bitterness, smoke, a hint of garlic butter(?). Not very longlasting.
    Mouthfeel: some astringency which doesn’t last too much, some slight salivation effect.
    Soup: from gold yellow to orange
    Qi: I have no idea… so, probably not much...maybe a bit of calming qi after a good while, i don't know
Nothing very refined in the taste, it’s thick & relatively complex, probably because it’s a blend; there are some good fast huigans and a decent sweet aftertaste in the throat… obviously designed to age perfectly it’s terribly boring as a young sheng and doesn’t taste good to me, at least for drinking now.

I bought a cake when it was $40, just because of all the hype. Now it’s $60 and I wouldn’t buy another bing at such a mystical price. I wonder why dayi didn’t make a nice shu bing of these leaves, maybe something like a higher quality dragon pole ?

I was a bit more inspired by the dayi longyin ‘12 but I need to try it again. It was more homogeneous and much more brewable, if I remember correctly.
Last edited by fdrx on Mar 8th, '13, 12:09, edited 1 time in total.

Feb 3rd, '13, 19:06

by apache » Feb 3rd, '13, 19:06

I need to drink 2011 Jin and 2012 Longyin side by side to compare.

Feb 4th, '13, 01:50
Vendor Member

by nada » Feb 4th, '13, 01:50

TIM wrote:...'Oolong Puerh' processing... Good material, not time proven process (modern). High aroma, flat in the body, and not aging well so far.
Tim, I'm curious to understand. What do you mean by Oolong Puerh processing? Is it simply a puerh tea that has been withered for longer, and hence oxidised more, or is there another process you're referring to?

You were very specific in stating that it goes stale after 8+ years. I don't doubt it, but do you mind sharing why you think this is the case?

Feb 4th, '13, 11:23
Vendor Member

by TIM » Feb 4th, '13, 11:23

nada wrote:
TIM wrote:...'Oolong Puerh' processing... Good material, not time proven process (modern). High aroma, flat in the body, and not aging well so far.
Tim, I'm curious to understand. What do you mean by Oolong Puerh processing? Is it simply a puerh tea that has been withered for longer, and hence oxidised more, or is there another process you're referring to?

You were very specific in stating that it goes stale after 8+ years. I don't doubt it, but do you mind sharing why you think this is the case?
Perhaps should start a new topic Nada? How are you doing?

Feb 5th, '13, 01:01

by tenuki » Feb 5th, '13, 01:01

80s maocha puer from teamasters. Randomly found a sample floating around in a box.

Feb 5th, '13, 04:19
Vendor Member

by nada » Feb 5th, '13, 04:19

TIM wrote: Perhaps should start a new topic Nada? How are you doing?
I'm well thanks Tim.

Good idea to separate out the discussion. I've started a new thread here:

http://www.teachat.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=18208

Feb 5th, '13, 23:29

by DVS » Feb 5th, '13, 23:29

2003 Sun Yi Shun Liu An from Finepuer. This has a nice sweet aftertaste that lingerers for awhile, I enjoyed this tea.

+ Post Reply