Official Pu of the day

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Sep 26th, '11, 13:47

Re: Pu of the day

by bryan_drinks_tea » Sep 26th, '11, 13:47

late last night I retried the 2009 Douji Red Da Dou. It was cheap, and it had little flavor when drinking. Sweet, flowery taste appeared after the gulp. Tastes a little too weak for me.

Sep 27th, '11, 20:46
Scrolling: scrolling

by Drax » Sep 27th, '11, 20:46

I started tasting the 2006 Dayi Shan Yun today... my initial brew gave the faintest hint of something almost like xiaguan (but w/o the wild smoky/savory quality). With successive brews, it really powered up; nice balance of sheng and bitterness....

I'm not sure what the 'high mountain' quality is supposed to be, though...

Sep 27th, '11, 23:20

by shah82 » Sep 27th, '11, 23:20

Stuff that's high mountain will have something something rock taste in the throat, in my experience. A bigger yun... I think you definitely can enjoy high mountain plantation for what it is...

Sep 28th, '11, 06:53
Scrolling: scrolling

by Drax » Sep 28th, '11, 06:53

Hrm, I'll have to focus on that element when I continue with the tea tonight. I assume by 'rock' you mean the typical oolong roasted rock teas? Looking past the roasted qualities that those teas usually have, I suppose I can see a vague similarity in parts of the flavor... hmmm. If I didn't know that, I don't believe I would have been able to sense that, though...

Sep 28th, '11, 09:53

by auhckw » Sep 28th, '11, 09:53

2010 Dayi Tiger Zodiac Raw - Revisit this. And it is still as strong as before. A nice aroma and taste on the first 2 brew, but from the 3rd brew onwards the kick gets strong. On the 6th brew, we couldn't drink it already. Very strong kick... roarrrrrrrrrrrrrrr..... very good chi... sweating and feeling the heat behind my back.

2011 Dayi Rabbit Zodiac Raw - After we tried Tiger, we took a break and then tried Rabbit. As per the name, it is tamer and calm. This tea is not as strong as Tiger but by itself it has a different nice aroma and taste too. The smoky taste is still quite obvious. Much easier to drink. We tried soaking it on the 5th brew for about 3 minutes and the flavor was deep and easy to drink. Was feeling the good chi and sweating again after drinking this.

With both zodiac being different taste different strength.. next year Dragon zodiac as the per name should be a strong pu. Looking forward to it...

Sep 28th, '11, 09:54

by auhckw » Sep 28th, '11, 09:54

Mushroom growing out of this pot...

Sep 29th, '11, 07:51

by auhckw » Sep 29th, '11, 07:51

1999 Unbranded Yu Nan Yi Wu Shan Chun Jian Raw - A senior pointed this out to me today cause he tried it earlier and the recommendation is that this is a very good Yi Wu taste pu which is Malaysia 'dry' stored. The price is also quite attractive for a year 1999 Yi Wu. Just because it is unbranded the price isn't sky high.

So I gave it a try and this is indeed very good mid aged tea. The Yi Wu taste is strong. It has mellowed down but giving good aroma and sweet taste. Not bitter. Not astringency.

The boss showed me a magazine which showed the real piece (year 80s) that the one above is trying to copy. In other words, the above tea is a imitation but a good one.

This is the 10th brew colour and the taste has gone down but the sweetness became stronger.

I contacted another senior who likes Yi Wu asking whether he has tried it before and his respond is that he has tried it before and he liked it very much.

I rarely like to buy unbranded Pu, but I cannot miss this...
Last edited by auhckw on Sep 29th, '11, 23:05, edited 1 time in total.

Sep 29th, '11, 10:48

by bryan_drinks_tea » Sep 29th, '11, 10:48

Chua,

i've noted in the past, through various reading here on teachat (and personal experience) That while big label pu is fairly stable and inexpensive, the small label stuff can/may provide an increase in quality without a big price tag (i'm probably overgeneralizing here). I'm not being critical of your purchasing decisions, I'm just stating that small label can be a pretty good option too, especially if you get the chance to sample it.

Sep 29th, '11, 13:19

by auhckw » Sep 29th, '11, 13:19

bryan_drinks_tea wrote:Chua,

i've noted in the past, through various reading here on teachat (and personal experience) That while big label pu is fairly stable and inexpensive, the small label stuff can/may provide an increase in quality without a big price tag (i'm probably overgeneralizing here). I'm not being critical of your purchasing decisions, I'm just stating that small label can be a pretty good option too, especially if you get the chance to sample it.
I agree with what you said. There are many good non big labels pu, just have to find and try em.

The one above is outstanding so decided to buy. If it is menghai/dayi brand for the same taste, I think the price would easily be 3x more

Oct 1st, '11, 07:59

by auhckw » Oct 1st, '11, 07:59

2003 Dayi 7212 Raw - Unique taste. This is one of the speculative pu since 6 months ago. 8 years old but potent. Progressing (aging) well...

Oct 1st, '11, 08:00

by auhckw » Oct 1st, '11, 08:00

2009 Dayi 69th Anniversary Raw - Drink and forget. Not memorable. Nothing to shout about. The sample doesn't seems to have aged. Maybe this needs more time...

Oct 2nd, '11, 12:50

by bryan_drinks_tea » Oct 2nd, '11, 12:50

This morning I re-tried the 2010 YSLLC "bang dong village" from the mengku area. For some reason, this stuff came out odd - with a lot of smoothness and no flavour at the beginning (using boiling water, I also rinsed) to extreme amounts of flavour and then back again. I have no idea what I did wrong, but I did notice that the sample I used was from the center of the cake and was much choppier than the first review I did of this tea. The full leaves did look healthy, with thick, rich green leaves and heavy serration and thick leaf veins. The sample tasted rather plantation-like, if you get my drift, and it had a heavy effect on my GI as well no upper body qi. the infusions changed quickly and without warning, so who knows.

Oct 2nd, '11, 16:40

by BioHorn » Oct 2nd, '11, 16:40

Just broke in to a bing of 2007 Jiu Wan, "Tong Qing Hao."
It is a nice cold weather shu pu. I would recommend it.
Quite a nice tea. Brews very very dark. It has a very rich, savory/chestnutty flavor with a little intensity to make it interesting.
A shop called everything tea has it still for under $20 a cake.
YSLLC also has it for under $10.

Oct 3rd, '11, 10:17

by auhckw » Oct 3rd, '11, 10:17

2011 Dayi Yiwu Raw - It is about 2 months since this arrived here. Seems like it is getting better and better. Very good aroma and deep aftertaste in the throat area. Saliva is sweet. Not bitter. Not astringency. If you like young fresh pu taste, this is nice. I drank this few days ago at teashop, but couldn't stop thinking of it so decided to brew it again at home. If only the price is cheaper...

Colour of 4th brew.

Oct 3rd, '11, 14:13

by gasninja » Oct 3rd, '11, 14:13

auhckw wrote:2003 Dayi 7212 Raw - Unique taste. This is one of the speculative pu since 6 months ago. 8 years old but potent. Progressing (aging) well...

I''ll have to try this again. I got a sample of it from finepuer.com and was not very impressed. Do you have any experience with these guys auhckw? They are out of malaysia. It almost seems as if they leave their samples exposed to light(they seem very dark even young teas). I don't know about whole cakes though.

+ Post Reply