Official Pu of the day

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Sep 19th, '10, 11:41

Re: Pu of the day

by shah82 » Sep 19th, '10, 11:41

Betcha anything all were very wet-stored.

Did they at least have good Qi?

Sep 20th, '10, 19:43

by AdamMY » Sep 20th, '10, 19:43

Decided to have an aged puerh, but I didn't want something quite as fancy as The Mandarins loose 8582 from the 80's, but did not want to just have the 80's Loose Wang Zi that I had from Essence of Tea. So I actually mixed some of each. Its probably 2/3 Wang Zi and 1/3 8582.

So far its been pretty good. Nice, Earthy, camphor, and hints of the chocolate cookie parts of an oreo.

Sep 22nd, '10, 11:39

by auhckw » Sep 22nd, '10, 11:39

Few days ago I was having some aged puerh and wasn't so satisfied with it. Today, I managed to try this and it blew me away.

Early 90s Gong Ting Ripe Pu-erh

This is >15 <20 years old. The seller couldn't tell the exact year as the original keeper couldn't remember. This is sold in loose form.

The box is not the original packing. Given free.

Looks old and has strong old aroma from the dry leaves.

First infusion (30s). Colour looks quite brownish red. Taste is quite unique. It does not have the strong young ripe flavor. Flavor was light but smooth. It has the oldness taste but not dirt taste. It has a little chinese herb kind of flavor. Quite good aftertaste in the throat (sweetness). Smooth. No smokiness. No bitterness.

Sixth infusion (3mins). Colour has gone much lighter. Flavor has done down, but the good oldness taste is still there.

The leaves.

Overall I'm quite happy with this. Price wise is not that expensive. For 1kg loose is about USD145. I only bought 150g, if this keeps getting as good as today's session, I may purchase more.

Oct 1st, '10, 14:43

by nickE » Oct 1st, '10, 14:43

Sounds tasty, auhckw!

Recent Puerh:
  • 2009 YS "House Shu"
    Nada's Manmai & Mansai
    2009 YS Wuliang Lanxiang
As it's been getting cooler outside, I've been craving aged Shengpu, Shupu, & Hongcha way more than usual.

Placed a small EoT order to satisfy my cravings. :mrgreen:

Oct 1st, '10, 19:48

by debunix » Oct 1st, '10, 19:48

Last two days, lots of pu:
Norbu Lao Mansa 2009 sheng, bulk brewed in the thermos, sweet, strong, delicious; some 2007 Rui Cao Xiang wild arbor Wu Liang sheng from yunnan sourcing, gongfu'd and tasty, although it occasionally bit back; and today the Menghai Golden Needles White Lotus, which I brewed up overly concentrated because I got so caught up in breaking up the brick. Next time I might try this one as a beeng, if the flavor is as good, because the brick is so hard to work with.

Oct 1st, '10, 20:55
Scrolling: scrolling

by Proinsias » Oct 1st, '10, 20:55

I'm drinking the 05 golden needle white lotus cake atm, it's good stuff.

Oct 1st, '10, 20:56

by Proinsias » Oct 1st, '10, 20:56

and I'm going to make another post so I've got the same post count as debunix

Oct 5th, '10, 12:01

by Proinsias » Oct 5th, '10, 12:01

06 Luxi wild tree flora sheng, sample from Salsero a while back.

05 Mengku sheng 100g cake, from Teaspring I think

The luxi is much more mellow than the mengku, a nice smooth tea which tastes older than it is. The mengku is in comparison very bright and bold, a big menthol kick and the cooling sensation runs right down the back of the throat, I gave my wife a sip and she got quite a surprise - said she's never had hot liquid that's cold before.

Oct 5th, '10, 12:04

by auhckw » Oct 5th, '10, 12:04

Proinsias wrote:and I'm going to make another post so I've got the same post count as debunix
You are 3 post behind. Please drink more tea :lol:

Oct 5th, '10, 13:10

by Chip » Oct 5th, '10, 13:10

auhckw wrote:
Proinsias wrote:and I'm going to make another post so I've got the same post count as debunix
You are 3 post behind. Please drink more tea :lol:
These guys post too much :idea: :!: :mrgreen:

Since I posted here, guess I will have to be certain to have pu-erh today.

Oct 7th, '10, 17:12

You Zi Cha Pomelo Pu-erh

by TwoPynts » Oct 7th, '10, 17:12

http://www.chicagoteagarden.com/buy/chi ... elo-pu-erh

I received a sample from a fellow tea chat member today. I had to give it a go. A very unique tea with a distinct, desserty aroma. I find it sweet and liken the taste and scent to sugar that has been heated until brown. The pomelo flavor is very slight and compliments the tea. It is very smooth as well with a full, coating mouth feel. The leaves have been compacted beyond recognition and after several infusions they are still clumpy. But this has led to an excellent longevity, though the flavor has not altered much since the beginning. Qi is energizing yet calming.

I have to stop at around 8 infusions, but I know I can get more from it later. One of the better "older" pu's I've tried.

Oct 7th, '10, 21:41

Re: You Zi Cha Pomelo Pu-erh

by spot52 » Oct 7th, '10, 21:41

TwoPynts wrote:http://www.chicagoteagarden.com/buy/chi ... elo-pu-erh

I received a sample from a fellow tea chat member today. I had to give it a go. A very unique tea with a distinct, desserty aroma. I find it sweet and liken the taste and scent to sugar that has been heated until brown. The pomelo flavor is very slight and compliments the tea. It is very smooth as well with a full, coating mouth feel. The leaves have been compacted beyond recognition and after several infusions they are still clumpy. But this has led to an excellent longevity, though the flavor has not altered much since the beginning. Qi is energizing yet calming.

I have to stop at around 8 infusions, but I know I can get more from it later. One of the better "older" pu's I've tried.
Not to be too obnoxious, but there is plenty more to be swapped if anyone is interested. I'm just sayin.

Oct 8th, '10, 09:23

by TwoPynts » Oct 8th, '10, 09:23

Wow, how much came in one of those Pomelos? :o

EDIT: I've continued my session from yesterday and am definitely pulling some plum flavors from the long infusions. This is a great pu. I'm wondering if it is shu or sheng though. I assumed sheng, but it is hard to say.

Oct 8th, '10, 20:04

by spot52 » Oct 8th, '10, 20:04

TwoPynts wrote:Wow, how much came in one of those Pomelos? :o

EDIT: I've continued my session from yesterday and am definitely pulling some plum flavors from the long infusions. This is a great pu. I'm wondering if it is shu or sheng though. I assumed sheng, but it is hard to say.
The Pomelo is about the size of a grapefruit, so there is quite a bit packed in. I do not know a whole lot about sheng or shu, but I do know that this one was smoked over a fire before it was stored in the tea cave.

Oct 8th, '10, 21:30

by Proinsias » Oct 8th, '10, 21:30

05 Haiwan lao tong zhi sheng

Nice, bold tea but still painfully strong. I've had this cake for a few years, only had a handful of sessions with it, and hope I've still got some left when it starts to mellow with age.

+ Post Reply