Official Pu of the day

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

May 7th, '13, 08:02

Re: Official Pu of the day

by Keiki » May 7th, '13, 08:02

tenuki wrote:
Keiki wrote:I am drinking
Hey, you play Go?
Tenuki-san, yes!!!! It's the best game ever! And it's the best game ever to play while drinking tea... they both complement each other so well :D
Do you play it also? I'm currently 7-8kyu on KGS, trying to get to dat dan level. (also trying to get do Dan level on Pu-Erh :P)

May 7th, '13, 09:07

by lordsbm » May 7th, '13, 09:07

igo always reminds me of hikaru no go... played very briefly many years ago.. wonder where I put the board and seeds :lol:

May 7th, '13, 20:37

by yalokinh » May 7th, '13, 20:37

sweet! go players! I'm still a beginner at around 21-23 kyu.

May 7th, '13, 20:43

by tenuki » May 7th, '13, 20:43

for go players - check out this thread....

Now back to the regularly scheduled programming....

May 8th, '13, 07:04

by JakubT » May 8th, '13, 07:04

Miles' Birthday 2012 from Teaurchin - yay! Very good one, tasty, with good deal of qi, a nice tea. However, it is young Yiwu, which means higher cost, of course.

May 8th, '13, 14:43

by Keiki » May 8th, '13, 14:43

This 2006 Mengku "Imperial" Shu finally arrived today.
I was happy when I discovered I had new Shu in the mailbox, but then I thought "Why am I happy? This is probably going to taste like cardboard." :lol: And the sad thing is, my pessimism was spot on :(

All the shus I've tasted had this same flavor profile. Cardboard smell, cardboard taste - I'm on the 8th infusion, and this is the only tasting note I've got in the whole session. On later infusions it's still cardboard, only a bit weaker.

May 8th, '13, 16:39

by shah82 » May 8th, '13, 16:39

/me patts his mostly non-cardboard tasting shu stash...

Then again, a lot of this shu-tastes-like-cardboard is that it's supposed to be a nonoffensive drink that you have during or after a nicely greasy meal. If you want shu that stands by itself, you have to pay for it, in attention, sampling, and cash.

May 9th, '13, 10:48

by lordsbm » May 9th, '13, 10:48

Keiki wrote: This 2006 Mengku "Imperial" Shu finally arrived today.
I was happy when I discovered I had new Shu in the mailbox, but then I thought "Why am I happy? This is probably going to taste like cardboard." :lol: And the sad thing is, my pessimism was spot on :(

All the shus I've tasted had this same flavor profile. Cardboard smell, cardboard taste - I'm on the 8th infusion, and this is the only tasting note I've got in the whole session. On later infusions it's still cardboard, only a bit weaker.
Did you awake the shu? Meaning break up the shu into smaller pieces then put them in a tea caddy a week or two.

I think the cardboard smell you referring to is 堆味 dui wei. A typical smell of shu storage. Lower end new shu have such strong smell/taste. It'll reduce with time. This smell also reduced after the tea is awaken.

My belief is to really appreciate shu I think you have to have acute taste, or you must have enough experience with shu to pick up the complex flavors/taste which good shu has.

That mengku shu was mentioned to be a decent shu. I was thinking of buying that but someone then reviewed the 2006 mini imperial 145g mini bings to be good. It was only 100RMB for 1tong/ti, so bought it. But till now I'd yet tried :lol:

May 9th, '13, 12:16

by lordsbm » May 9th, '13, 12:16

Drinking 2012 bulang spring gushu huangpian shu now. Kinda crazy as it's just past midnight, but I just can't wait to try it. Just gotten it from agent today. been almost a month wait. It didn't disappoint despite this shu just came right out of the box. :lol:

I hate using the word chaqi especially with shu, and even worst when I got it for less than US$10 (more like <US$8.50) 250g including shipping and agent fee. Some may laugh about it, but it's just what it is to me.

In term of taste, it nice enough to say it's have good chaqi for a shu. In term of experience, I gotten the numbness, warmer body, burping, slight giddiness, adrenaline rush that made me wide awake now. So ya it has good chaqi to me. :lol:

Can't wait for it to age and the aroma turns to jujube or nuo. The question I have on mind now is having 2+kg of it too little...

Here's a few shots of it.

May 9th, '13, 13:09

by yalokinh » May 9th, '13, 13:09

lordsbm wrote:Drinking 2012 bulang spring gushu huangpian shu now. Kinda crazy as it's just past midnight, but I just can't wait to try it. Just gotten it from agent today. been almost a month wait. It didn't disappoint despite this shu just came right out of the box. :lol:

I hate using the word chaqi especially with shu, and even worst when I got it for less than US$10 (more like <US$8.50) 250g including shipping and agent fee. Some may laugh about it, but it's just what it is to me.

In term of taste, it nice enough to say it's have good chaqi for a shu. In term of experience, I gotten the numbness, warmer body, burping, slight giddiness, adrenaline rush that made me wide awake now. So ya it has good chaqi to me. :lol:

Can't wait for it to age and the aroma turns to jujube or nuo. The question I have on mind now is having 2+kg of it too little...

Here's a few shots of it.

I ordered a very cheap shu bing on ebay from one of those noname companies (had a crappy picture of a horse on the wrapper), and i have to say, it is outperforming some of my more expensive puer, for once it doesnt have a one dimensional taste profile.

May 9th, '13, 13:24

by lordsbm » May 9th, '13, 13:24

yalokinh wrote:I ordered a very cheap shu bing on ebay from one of those noname companies (had a crappy picture of a horse on the wrapper), and i have to say, it is outperforming some of my more expensive puer, for once it doesnt have a one dimensional taste profile.
I bought quite a bit of those cheap shu bing & brick also. Some good and some bad. Edit: I don't like to link prices or grades to determine if the tea taste nice. Only believe that the truth is my own taste, if I like it I like it, if I hate it, I won't force myself to drink it even if the whole world is crazy over it. :lol:

But this one is really in the class of it's own. Give it 3 years I think the surprises will be worth waiting for. Problem now is how should I store this to get the best result :lol: Too many ways to play with :lol:

May 9th, '13, 13:55

by tenuki » May 9th, '13, 13:55

lordsbm wrote: I hate using the word chaqi especially with shu, and even worst when I got it for less than US$10 (more like <US$8.50) 250g including shipping and agent fee. Some may laugh about it, but it's just what it is to me.
I just want to say I enjoy your posts. That is all. :D

May 9th, '13, 18:56

by lordsbm » May 9th, '13, 18:56

tenuki wrote:I just want to say I enjoy your posts. That is all. :D
谢谢看帖, 就是如此意。 :lol:

May 9th, '13, 20:28

by Keiki » May 9th, '13, 20:28

shah82 wrote:/me patts his mostly non-cardboard tasting shu stash...

Then again, a lot of this shu-tastes-like-cardboard is that it's supposed to be a nonoffensive drink that you have during or after a nicely greasy meal. If you want shu that stands by itself, you have to pay for it, in attention, sampling, and cash.
lol, I think I got some luck with shengs, even the cheap ones... about 70% of them were at least decent. 0% of the shus were decent :lol: but I won't give up on shus just yet, there's some 2009 Dayi Hong Yun's on their way, and If its really the same brick I'm thinking of, the brick that lordsbm posted above :)
lordsbm wrote:Did you awake the shu? Meaning break up the shu into smaller pieces then put them in a tea caddy a week or two.
Thanks for the great tips, my friend! Should the shu be broken into really small pieces and put in a caddy without a lid / covering, to let it "air out"?

And nice photos of that brick!
Is that the 38RMB Shu that you said was popular in China? :)

May 9th, '13, 20:58

by lordsbm » May 9th, '13, 20:58

Keiki wrote:Thanks for the great tips, my friend! Should the shu be broken into really small pieces and put in a caddy without a lid / covering, to let it "air out"?

And nice photos of that brick!
Is that the 38RMB Shu that you said was popular in China? :)
Don't need to be in really small pieces, somewhat like 8-20g per piece is fine. Then just leave it covered. Some prefer it to be in tin, some cardboard. I just like it to air out a bit (just my preference) in a moon cake box that have some holes which is part of original box.

Thanks. Ya that's the one, BUT which I gotten it last month it was only 32RMB then it went to 35RMB, now 38RMB :lol: Still considering if I should pay 6RMB more, though I should get 1 free brick for every 4 I buy.

My thought of this brick:
1. It has much less dui wei than most new shu. If I awaken it for a couple days, it'll all be gone.
2. Sweet brew, but it's expected from huangpian.
3. The material should be spring as I do see ma ti (horse hoot), but that's not the sure tell sign.
4. The brew color and clarity is what you'll get from similar new shu around >2 times the price.
5. Currently it's very smooth, light, refreshing, but I can still feel that "ohm" in my mouth. Those that u'll get from laoshu/gushu.
6. The leafs looks promising and will likely aged into something good.
7. Currently it's not the best shu I had, the 10RMB 2008 Tulin 100g shu brick had more complex flavor than this. But that Tulin brick didn't offer the additional experiences that this gushu shu gave.
8. All I can say is it's good value for money kouliang (daily shu) now, but if it aged well, it'll become something very dear.

Of cos it's just my personal take on this shu. Not saying it's a must buy for anyone, but I'm happy I bought it :lol:

+ Post Reply