Official Pu of the day

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Sep 30th, '16, 04:54
Vendor Member

Re: Official Pu of the day

by jayinhk » Sep 30th, '16, 04:54

Interesting, I have no problems with 7542. Now green gaoshan and gongting pu erh...whew!

Sep 30th, '16, 06:01

by Rui » Sep 30th, '16, 06:01

Today I am sipping 2013 Hai Lang Hao Jun Yan Qi Xiang purple pu'er tea. Long time sold out unfortunately but still one of the best purple pu'er teas I have tasted. About a quarter of the cake left. Smooth, typical gushu aroma and taste of a deep yellow ochre colour.

Sep 30th, '16, 16:30

by pedant » Sep 30th, '16, 16:30

jay,

your review of the 1000 year myanmar from teaside intrigued me.
anything else you'd recommend trying from them? i might make an order.
if anyone else has recommendations, feel free to jump in.
Last edited by pedant on Sep 30th, '16, 22:17, edited 1 time in total.

Sep 30th, '16, 21:46
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Sep 30th, '16, 21:46

pedant wrote:jay,

your review of the 1000 year myamar from teaside intrigued me.
anything else you'd recommend trying from them? i might make an order.
if anyone else has recommendations, feel free to jump in.
He says his Donfang Meiren is his best seller. As for shu--any of his own productions are well worth it!

Oct 2nd, '16, 04:07

by kuánglóng » Oct 2nd, '16, 04:07

2015 Chawangpu Bada Old Trees - 5g/60ml in celadon gaiwan

The dry leaves exude a wonderful fruity aroma with distinct, dominating bright notes of black currants that play hide and seek through the entire session. 5/5 for the dynamics here; I got 10 very entertaining and tasty steeps out of 5g/60ml - everything including the intense but smooth cha qi just kept changing and changing.
The only drawback I've experienced is a somewhat thin soup; I'll use one of my clay pots next time.
Great bang for the buck here IMO. I bought an extra sample to play around with, the cake went straight into a storage box.

Oct 3rd, '16, 13:10

by Psyck » Oct 3rd, '16, 13:10

kuánglóng wrote:
Rui wrote: <...>
In UK tea attracts no import or sales tax as tea is considered an essential item just like bread, milk, etc. The only time I have to pay sales tax is when the vendors forget to say the package contains is 'tea' and even that I can ask for a refund after I provide evidence of the package contents. Also in UK one gets a customs advice through the post which we can pay online or even add enough postage for the duty amount in lieu of a payment so the service is pretty good. Unfortunately the same does not apply to teaware.
Sounds like 2016 to me - good for you guys. Back in the day when I was still running my ex-business I used to deal with those folks on a regular basis and from what it looks like their business hasn't evolved that much in the meantime. Let's see how it turns out today, most likely they want us to pay 7% VAT on the tea and 19% for the rest - no big deal but I'd rather get it all delivered to my door, pay them online and be done with it. I guess this was my last order from China before I fly back home. Back on the island it's all a piece of cake, got the customs office right around the corner - just in case.
You folk are so lucky, in India, I have to drive 6KM to pay 105% tax in order to import tea. Well, I only did that once and that too could have been easily avoided, but basically I need to take extra care with the quantities & prices of what I buy.

Oct 3rd, '16, 15:15

by kuánglóng » Oct 3rd, '16, 15:15

Psyck wrote:
kuánglóng wrote:
Rui wrote: <...>
In UK tea attracts no import or sales tax as tea is considered an essential item just like bread, milk, etc. The only time I have to pay sales tax is when the vendors forget to say the package contains is 'tea' and even that I can ask for a refund after I provide evidence of the package contents. Also in UK one gets a customs advice through the post which we can pay online or even add enough postage for the duty amount in lieu of a payment so the service is pretty good. Unfortunately the same does not apply to teaware.
Sounds like 2016 to me - good for you guys. Back in the day when I was still running my ex-business I used to deal with those folks on a regular basis and from what it looks like their business hasn't evolved that much in the meantime. Let's see how it turns out today, most likely they want us to pay 7% VAT on the tea and 19% for the rest - no big deal but I'd rather get it all delivered to my door, pay them online and be done with it. I guess this was my last order from China before I fly back home. Back on the island it's all a piece of cake, got the customs office right around the corner - just in case.
You folk are so lucky, in India, I have to drive 6KM to pay 105% tax in order to import tea. Well, I only did that once and that too could have been easily avoided, but basically I need to take extra care with the quantities & prices of what I buy.
When I lived in India I could pick up my parcels at the post office without paying anything, no matter where they came from or what they contained. Dunno if that still works, just in case you know some foreigners you can trust and need more chinese tea or whatever :wink:

Oct 3rd, '16, 23:19
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Oct 3rd, '16, 23:19

Since I got back from Thailand, I've been drinking nothing but oolongs--green gaoshan style, medium oxidation oolongs and high fire shuixians. Finally some shu pu! I bought a few 100g of good small cha tou in a market in Kunming when I was over there and have them sitting in a porcelain ginger jar. Threw some in a large, preheated porcelain pot from Northern Vietnam and then rinsed twice. I didn't want to drink strong tea yesterday, as I'd had iced coffee and iced lemon tea, and I'm caffeine sensitive, so I used less leaf than I would normally use. Well, I forgot about the tea and went to my office and drank some high roast SX!

Drinking the cha tou this morning by filling up a cup halfway and then pouring on boiling water. This is some of the best cha tou I've ever tried. Nice, clean, sweet flavor with nothing unpleasant to it. Almost baby powder-like, since it's so soft and pleasant and fragrant. I noticed they made shou pu quite weak in Kunming compared to the way I tend to drink it at home--this dilute session reminds me of the testing sessions in Kunming.

I feel like my system was asking for pu, and now it's finally getting some!

Oct 5th, '16, 06:58

by Rui » Oct 5th, '16, 06:58

Sipping some very mellow and smooth 2013 Jing Mai from Tea Urchin.

Oct 5th, '16, 10:57

by kuánglóng » Oct 5th, '16, 10:57

Enjoying a wonderful session with some 2014 Mangfei (bannacha) right now.

Oct 5th, '16, 12:03
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Oct 5th, '16, 12:03

Drinking Spring 2016 maocha from a 1,000 year old tree in Myanmar (via Tea-Side) in a big porcelain pot. This tea gave me all day drinking pleasure from a few grams; I just refilled the pot with hot water and had another pot full of tea (with less caffeine, so it won't keep me awake). One advantage of big pot drinking is the leaves will still give you some weak tea before bedtime.

Oct 5th, '16, 12:28

by kuánglóng » Oct 5th, '16, 12:28

jayinhk wrote:Drinking Spring 2016 maocha from a 1,000 year old tree in Myanmar (via Tea-Side) in a big porcelain pot. This tea gave me all day drinking pleasure from a few grams; I just refilled the pot with hot water and had another pot full of tea (with less caffeine, so it won't keep me awake). One advantage of big pot drinking is the leaves will still give you some weak tea before bedtime.
The Mangfei I've mentioned above works the other way around. The last thought I've had before it knocked me out after 3 cups was something like "ooh, that's some pretty calming qi here'.
I've just ordered a couple more cakes :)

Oct 5th, '16, 12:36
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Oct 5th, '16, 12:36

kuánglóng wrote:
jayinhk wrote:Drinking Spring 2016 maocha from a 1,000 year old tree in Myanmar (via Tea-Side) in a big porcelain pot. This tea gave me all day drinking pleasure from a few grams; I just refilled the pot with hot water and had another pot full of tea (with less caffeine, so it won't keep me awake). One advantage of big pot drinking is the leaves will still give you some weak tea before bedtime.
The Mangfei I've mentioned above works the other way around. The last thought I've had before it knocked me out after 3 cups was something like "ooh, that's some pretty calming qi here'.
This tea has extremely powerful calming cha qi...second best of any tea I've ever tried, and only fresh ancient tree maocha seems to have that much of an effect on me! Caffeine will still keep me up, though, so it was pleasant to drink some light tea before bedtime, instead of starting a new tea. The flavor persisted and the leaves were still aromatic even after all day drinking, but I didn't feel like doing an overnight steep.

I'll have to check out the Mangfei some time!

Oct 5th, '16, 13:37

by kuánglóng » Oct 5th, '16, 13:37

jayinhk wrote:
kuánglóng wrote:
This tea has extremely powerful calming cha qi...second best of any tea I've ever tried, and only fresh ancient tree maocha seems to have that much of an effect on me! Caffeine will still keep me up, though, so it was pleasant to drink some light tea before bedtime, instead of starting a new tea. The flavor persisted and the leaves were still aromatic even after all day drinking, but I didn't feel like doing an overnight steep.

Yeah, pretty decent material. Today the fourth steep tasted almost like real, somewhat diluted alpine wild flower honey. Not quite as sweet but just as intense and complex as the real stuff. I can't remember any tea getting as close as this one - amazing.
As to the effects of caffeine I usually end my days with a nice pot of Darjeeling, go to bed and fall asleep within a few minutes. Even a late pot of coffee and most shengs won't keep me from sleeping, but some few pu's like 7542's or even a glass of diet coke give me the jitters and can keep me awake all night; pretty strange.

Oct 6th, '16, 00:02
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Oct 6th, '16, 00:02

kuánglóng wrote:
jayinhk wrote:
kuánglóng wrote:

Yeah, pretty decent material. Today the fourth steep tasted almost like real, somewhat diluted alpine wild flower honey. Not quite as sweet but just as intense and complex as the real stuff. I can't remember any tea getting as close as this one - amazing.
As to the effects of caffeine I usually end my days with a nice pot of Darjeeling, go to bed and fall asleep within a few minutes. Even a late pot of coffee and most shengs won't keep me from sleeping, but some few pu's like 7542's or even a glass of diet coke give me the jitters and can keep me awake all night; pretty strange.
That is interesting! I am caffeine sensitive, so no coffee before bed, but 7542 doesn't give me jitters!

+ Post Reply