Official Pu of the day

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Aug 2nd, '09, 16:20

Re: Re:

by Trioxin » Aug 2nd, '09, 16:20

puerhking wrote:
nonc_ron wrote: Hi,
After reading your review I did a search on eBay and found them for $10.00, I was saving 3 dollars every time I bought one!
I decided to buy 7 and get one free.
It is a risk to buy a bing of something that has a favorable review. To buy a tong is dangerous indeed. I hope you like it.
I recognize that name from when ebay used to list buyer names. He should have quite a collection to fall back on if he doesn't like it. speaking of which, lets see some pick of the collection nonc_ron.

Aug 3rd, '09, 00:13

Re: Pu of the day

by Edwin Chow » Aug 3rd, '09, 00:13

Heyy Oldmanteapot,

Always nice to bump into a fellow Malaysian mate. I live in PJ, Selangor but my mother is from Penang. Which reminds me, my gluttony trip there is way overdue.

I've actually been shopping around for a puer (sheng and shu) which i can drink daily, mostly at night actually. Could you (or anyone else who reads this) recommend something? I'm not looking to spend too much on it, so something fairly recent and fairly decent.

Thanks a lot peeps....

Aug 3rd, '09, 00:24

by oldmanteapot » Aug 3rd, '09, 00:24

Edwin Chow wrote:Heyy Oldmanteapot,

Always nice to bump into a fellow Malaysian mate. I live in PJ, Selangor but my mother is from Penang. Which reminds me, my gluttony trip there is way overdue.

I've actually been shopping around for a puer (sheng and shu) which i can drink daily, mostly at night actually. Could you (or anyone else who reads this) recommend something? I'm not looking to spend too much on it, so something fairly recent and fairly decent.

Thanks a lot peeps....
Hi Edwin,

Can't seem to get a PM to you. PM me or drop me an email at oldmanteapot@me.com

Cheers!

OMTP.

Aug 3rd, '09, 15:58

by nonc_ron » Aug 3rd, '09, 15:58

puerhking wrote:
After reading your review I did a search on eBay and found them for $10.00, I was saving 3 dollars every time I bought one!
It is a risk to buy a bing of something that has a favorable review. To buy a tong is dangerous indeed. I hope you like it.
Last edited by nonc_ron on Aug 13th, '09, 14:27, edited 1 time in total.

Aug 3rd, '09, 18:13

by puerhking » Aug 3rd, '09, 18:13

nonc_ron wrote:
puerhking wrote:

OMG,
You're the one that wrote the review. :shock:
30 days of worrying can't be good for me.
What have you got to say for yourself?
What I have to say for myself is that what one person likes another may not. It is therefore risky to buy a whole tong of anything if you have not even tried it. Buy a sample at least before you invest in a tong...would be my advice.

Aug 3rd, '09, 18:19

by aKnightWhoSaysNi » Aug 3rd, '09, 18:19

I personally don't care for smoke in my pu-erh, I consider it a defect but I can understand why some may enjoy it. To each his own.

Aug 3rd, '09, 20:34

by wyardley » Aug 3rd, '09, 20:34

aKnightWhoSaysNi wrote:I personally don't care for smoke in my pu-erh, I consider it a defect but I can understand why some may enjoy it. To each his own.
Most people I've talked to seem to think the smoke will mostly go away with time, and my limited experience seems to bear this out. In fact, once it recedes into the background, it might end up adding an interesting layer to the tea.

I have heard, though (and I don't have a link, nor do I remember where I heard this, so I could be wrong) that the smoke usually comes from people drying the mao cha inside in their houses when weather or time doesn't allow sun drying. So in that sense, I guess you could maybe consider it a slight "defect" (in the sense that the tea isn't purely sun-dried), but on the other hand, l would rather have tea that's processed this way but has a little smoke than tea that's plantation grown and electric-dried. (Bears3x says that in some areas wood is used to heat the wok used for kill-green too, though don't know if this imparts any smoke)

Aug 3rd, '09, 21:01

by shogun89 » Aug 3rd, '09, 21:01

i love a little bit of smoke, adds a nice warming characteristic to it.

Aug 4th, '09, 00:47

by nonc_ron » Aug 4th, '09, 00:47

shogun89 wrote:i love a little bit of smoke, adds a nice warming characteristic to it.
Ditto on a little smokiness.

Aug 4th, '09, 07:37

by nonc_ron » Aug 4th, '09, 07:37

puerhking wrote:
As a wise man once said "yeah you right"
My only excuse was, it was Payday. And
never go shopping when you're hungry. :(
Last edited by nonc_ron on Aug 13th, '09, 14:28, edited 1 time in total.

Aug 5th, '09, 06:44
Scrolling: scrolling

by Herb_Master » Aug 5th, '09, 06:44

Edwin Chow wrote:Heyy Oldmanteapot,

Wow, someone from PJ, I visit Kelana Jaya annually, and bought my Tea Tray and a few other items from the Tea Business outside the Giant Supermarket.

Aug 8th, '09, 05:48

1996/1997 Jing Qua Gong Cha Shu Tuo

by oldmanteapot » Aug 8th, '09, 05:48

brandon wrote: Point out to young puerh lovers where they can find more reasonable prices on old tea with accessible flavors. My posts will be teas at less than $100 a beeng for now. Generate an appreciation for old tea.
Along with Brandon's heart for young pu lovers to appreciate old tea... here's what I've been brewing the past 10 days.

Tea: 1996/1997 Jing Qua Gong Cha Shu Tuo

Origin: Ji Xiang Pai now known as Jing Fan Tea Factory, Kunming.

Storage: Stored in Malaysia most of its life.

The tuo was compact but loosely held together. The leaves show a golden brown colour. The thin paper wrapper tears easily, at the same time allowing good air ventilation.

There’s no need for excessive force to be used to break off a chunk. The tea come off easily with a light push with the Pu Knife. They are dry and I had it aired daily for 10 days at RH 55% - 60%, 27C to 30C. The colour of the tea leaves and dryness of the pu indicates that the tuo had been stored under proper conditions and care.

I used a 150ml standard shui ping. Early 1980s clay and workmanship. Jing Xi Hui Men Chen era, coupled with a 50s/60s porcelain teacup (50ml).

Colour: Deep red, clear, but dark.... rich looking, turning lighter as the brews continue.

Aroma: Woody with a slight onset of aged aroma.

Flavour: Upfront, assertive, deep wood, no malt... the onset of the aged (herb-like) aroma, is just starting to form. A few more good years of storage and we’re all set to go!

Mouthfeel: whole, full, smooth, lingering...

Huigan: Slight, then a slight sweet ending... making you want to salivate.

I'm on to the 6th brew now, and the tea is still going good... I'm brewing each round for 30 - 45 seconds, using boiling water, getting one medium sized cup (50ml) per round. While the aroma diminish slightly with every brew, the smoothness and sweetness of the tea broth remains unrivaled.

Summary:

Smooth, no astringency at all, starting to exhibit some aging aroma. Would go back for more.

Aug 11th, '09, 11:46

by pgho » Aug 11th, '09, 11:46

Hi Oldmanteapot,

That is a pretty good looking tuo there. I really like the shui ping, it has a
nice glow on it, you must have fed it a lot of good pu. :wink:

Just heard that there is a Tea Expo in KL next week, 18th to 24th at Mid-
Valley. Are you going? I will try to work around my schedule to move a
meeting or two to KL. :D

Later,

Aug 30th, '09, 18:31

by apache » Aug 30th, '09, 18:31

Today I tried Menghai YiWu ZhengShan (2009), some tea drinkers in China think the price of this cake has been hyped up by traders and reminiscent of the pu'erh bubble between 2004 to 2006.

My curiosity gets the better of me and I decided to have one cake from DTH despite the high price tag ($38).

I used 5g of leaf with a make shift gaiwan around 200ml.
The soup is clear bright yellow colour. The taste is light with very quick and long lasting huigan, very nice mouth feel and medium dryness. As I cannot smell very well, I cannot say whether it is smoky or able to describe any other favours.

Would I buy another one? I would not mind to have a tong, but given the high price tag, I think I would wait until the dust settle first.

Aug 30th, '09, 18:54

by thanks » Aug 30th, '09, 18:54

Wait, why do the spent leaves look like that??

+ Post Reply