Official Pu of the day

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

May 23rd, '16, 05:24

Re: Official Pu of the day

by Rui » May 23rd, '16, 05:24

Sipping some tea from a 2014 Yi Wu mini tuo made up of whole leaves. These things are not cheap but they contain whole tea leaves. It has matured well in my pumidor for the last year or so and the liquor has now started turning very light orange. The soup is fairly smooth with very light astringency and no bitterness. My guess time has come for me to use them up.

May 23rd, '16, 11:21

by stevorama » May 23rd, '16, 11:21

1995 Keyixing shu brick. Sublime and lasting many steeps. It's still recovering from a long journey and getting mauled by US customs, but quite enjoyable.

May 24th, '16, 07:41

by Rui » May 24th, '16, 07:41

Sipping 2015 Autumn Misty Peak raw pu'er tea. At the moment I am trying to finish the tea cake before I get the 2016 Spring version.

May 24th, '16, 08:33

by Rui » May 24th, '16, 08:33

The wait for the 2016 teas is driving me to distraction. :lol:

May 25th, '16, 17:34

by daidokorocha » May 25th, '16, 17:34

Well, I got a package in two days ago from Health Tea House with two mini puer cakes in it. I just finished the first tasting of the 2006 yr LongYu Yunnan Raw Puer tea Cake. Link is below

http://www.ebay.com/itm/141721625831?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

This cake is $5.50 per 100 grams with free shipping. I think if you get it on Ali Express it is nearly a dollar cheaper. If you do the math for how much a 350 gram cake equivalent would be, from ebay it would be $19.25. Again, that includes shipping.

The smell of the cake is earth, smoke, menthol. Wet leaf smell is sweet wood and smoke. The taste is smooth smoke, very smooth earth, slight cooling effect. As steeps go on, it becomes a little bit juicier and more white fruit-like with some lasting sweetness. Slight, pleasant bitterness with quite high astringency. This could just be the way I brewed it and the fact that I used a significant part of the cake for one steep. The liquor is amber-orange, reminiscent of roasted oolong colors depending on the intensity of the steep. Much darker than what it shown in the pictures. Overall, it delivers many elements I desire in a shu with some of the elements I prefer in a sheng. Lingering aftertaste is floral and a feeling of mouth/throat being coated is present.

I can only comment on this relative to the 2005 CNNP 1938 Anniversary Yi Wu Zheng Shan Pu-erh I have been drinking. All other puerh lately has been shu, despite my preference for sheng. I prefer the CNNP personally since I like acidic, sour sheng with a slightly lighter liquor, but I think I will put in another order for two or three more of this Long Yu cake after I compare to the Yunnan Sourcing stuff I have coming in.

May 25th, '16, 20:40

by mr mopu » May 25th, '16, 20:40

daidokorocha wrote:Well, I got a package in two days ago from Health Tea House with two mini puer cakes in it. I just finished the first tasting of the 2006 yr LongYu Yunnan Raw Puer tea Cake. Link is below

http://www.ebay.com/itm/141721625831?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

This cake is $5.50 per 100 grams with free shipping. I think if you get it on Ali Express it is nearly a dollar cheaper. If you do the math for how much a 350 gram cake equivalent would be, from ebay it would be $19.25. Again, that includes shipping.

The smell of the cake is earth, smoke, menthol. Wet leaf smell is sweet wood and smoke. The taste is smooth smoke, very smooth earth, slight cooling effect. As steeps go on, it becomes a little bit juicier and more white fruit-like with some lasting sweetness. Slight, pleasant bitterness with quite high astringency. This could just be the way I brewed it and the fact that I used a significant part of the cake for one steep. The liquor is amber-orange, reminiscent of roasted oolong colors depending on the intensity of the steep. Much darker than what it shown in the pictures. Overall, it delivers many elements I desire in a shu with some of the elements I prefer in a sheng. Lingering aftertaste is floral and a feeling of mouth/throat being coated is present.

I can only comment on this relative to the 2005 CNNP 1938 Anniversary Yi Wu Zheng Shan Pu-erh I have been drinking. All other puerh lately has been shu, despite my preference for sheng. I prefer the CNNP personally since I like acidic, sour sheng with a slightly lighter liquor, but I think I will put in another order for two or three more of this Long Yu cake after I compare to the Yunnan Sourcing stuff I have coming in.
I got a Dayi from them. Legit real deal cake.

May 27th, '16, 03:42

by Rui » May 27th, '16, 03:42

2013 Yunnan Sourcing Da Si from GreenTeaGuru in UK. A very pleasant apricot tasting and slightly sweet followed by a light bitter taste. Great tea already but it sounds like being one of those that would be even better in the future.

May 28th, '16, 05:01
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » May 28th, '16, 05:01

90s 7581 (TW storage) in a big porcelain pot, dim sum restaurant style. Drinking from one of my mom's handpainted Jingdezhen cups from the 80s. Lovely drinking this tea this way; nice and light and not too strong. I quite like drinking my shu this way nowadays. I taste black tea and sweet and sourness today, along with the clean date/jujube flavor I love this recipe for, but since I'm brewing it light, the flavor isn't as intense (boo). Hoping to find some well stored 7581s in Yunnan, but I can always go back to Taiwan for more, I guess!

May 29th, '16, 19:46

by mr mopu » May 29th, '16, 19:46

Having a 2011 Bu Lang from Teanami today.
Leaf seems to be very nice with hints of a drier storage aroma.
I got 9.8 grams out for brewing in the gaiwan. Water was heated to 208f to start with. I heated the gaiwan and tossed the dry leaf in and shook it around. Opening the lid the aroma gives a bit of mineral and damp hay in there. Rinsing the leaf for about 5 seconds the aroma goes to a honey sweet hay type of aroma. Brewing the first cup, it doesn’t come across as a heavy type of brew. Semi-sweet and a bit of oily viscosity.
Second brew after letting the leaf absorb a touch are quite stronger. The tea starts to push the bitterness that Bu Lang is known for. The viscosity comes up as well. It hits the tip and side of the tongue well. Some tobacco is in there as well. Sitting back the tingle lasts a bit.
Successive brewing awakes it well. The wet leaf exudes the aroma so well.
Steeps 3 to 5 The activity moves back more in the mouth and throat. The sweetness after the sips will play in there as well. There is just a hint on my palate of smoke in there. This isn’t as astringent as some of the younger teas I have had but it packs a punch under all that sweet aroma the wet leaf gives off. For fans of Bu Lang and Mang Fei this will be right up your alley.

Flavors: Bitter, Hay, Honey, Mineral, Thick, Tobacco

May 31st, '16, 04:59

by Rui » May 31st, '16, 04:59

Compared to some of you guys I am such a wimp in my choice of pu'er teas...

Sipping a very mild and sweet 2001 High Mountain Wild Tree Purple Tea Cake of Lincang from Yunnan Sourcing.

http://yunnansourcing.com/en/otherfacto ... ncang.html

May 31st, '16, 15:42

by debunix » May 31st, '16, 15:42

Rui wrote:Compared to some of you guys I am such a wimp in my choice of pu'er teas...
What does it matter if you're enjoying the tea you're drinking?

May 31st, '16, 23:33
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » May 31st, '16, 23:33

debunix wrote:
Rui wrote:Compared to some of you guys I am such a wimp in my choice of pu'er teas...
Pretty sure he was kidding! ;)

Jun 1st, '16, 09:11

by Rui » Jun 1st, '16, 09:11

jayinhk wrote:
debunix wrote:
Pretty sure he was kidding! ;)
You are right about that. :D

On average I do sip milder teas like Yi Wu but I have no problem to sip a strong tasting Bulang. In fact there is a packet of samples on the way which I suspect they will be quite bitter but it is good to test how they develop in storage too.

Jun 1st, '16, 12:09
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Jun 1st, '16, 12:09

Drinking HK storage shu from 1992. Smoothest shu I've ever had!

Jun 1st, '16, 22:33

by mr mopu » Jun 1st, '16, 22:33

Having a 2008 Goddess of Beauty shou tonight from Teanami.
I got about 9.5 grams of this out to try tonight. I used the Gaiwan to brew this up. I gave this a quick rinse and allowed it to sit for about 10 minutes. I did 3 quick brews into a big mug, my favorite way for shou.
The brew is a nice deep amber color. The sips are very clean. I think the fermentation has left this one. It has the bittersweet chocolate and dry cocoa in the mouth. It tends to linger on the middle part of the tongue and whispers of a savory broth with some saltiness in there. Hints of dried dates also come through as the tea cools a bit. Nice and clean and good value for a tea with this age.

Flavors: Broth, Cocoa, Dark Bittersweet, Dates, Salt

+ Post Reply