Official Pu of the day

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Jun 27th, '16, 16:53

Re: Official Pu of the day

by shah82 » Jun 27th, '16, 16:53

whatsinaname wrote:7542-901 and EoT Bangwei broken up into the tea caddies this week.
I plan on taking them 2010 EoT cakes and breaking them up next year! Aside from a spare Bangwei and the good Bulang.

Jun 28th, '16, 03:03

by Rui » Jun 28th, '16, 03:03

Sipping a very young 2016 Yunnan Sourcing "Wa Long Village" Yi Wu old arbor sheng from a sample.

http://yunnansourcing.com/en/rawpu-erh/ ... -cake.html

Beautiful looking liquor with some bitterness but not unpleasant at all. Very nice sheng to my palate.

p.s. The slight bitterness almost disappears after a few steepings leaving an excellent young gushu tea taste. Enjoying this one alright.

Jun 29th, '16, 03:33

by Rui » Jun 29th, '16, 03:33

2016 YUNNAN SOURCING "MAN LIN" ANCIENT ARBOR RAW PU-ERH TEA CAKE

Definitely the best 2016 sheng I have tasted so far. It has a beautiful colour and yummy liquor. Great aroma from the leaves both when dry and wet. The viscosity is very good with a very slight bitterness, due to its young age, which compliments this tea and that it should disappear promptly with time in storage. I am definitely buying a cake of this tea.

Jun 29th, '16, 07:29
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Jun 29th, '16, 07:29

2016 reviews much appreciated! I just bought some new Chawangshop tea and will report back when I try it :)

Jun 29th, '16, 09:12

by Rui » Jun 29th, '16, 09:12

jayinhk wrote:2016 reviews much appreciated! I just bought some new Chawangshop tea and will report back when I try it :)
You are welcome.

Unfortunately most of the 2016 have not come out yet. W2T website is even down at the moment. I still have one more of YS, of the 4 that have come out already, for me to try out tomorrow.

Chawangshop has only come out with two 2016 cakes so far but no gushu so far.

Jun 29th, '16, 09:57
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Jun 29th, '16, 09:57

Rui wrote:
jayinhk wrote:2016 reviews much appreciated! I just bought some new Chawangshop tea and will report back when I try it :)
You are welcome.

Unfortunately most of the 2016 have not come out yet. W2T website is even down at the moment. I still have one more of YS, of the 4 that have come out already, for me to try out tomorrow.

Chawangshop has several cakes coming up. When I was in Kunming there were very few 2016 cakes around. A lot of cakes were in the process of pressing, and then they need some time to dry out before sale too. Lots to come!

Jun 29th, '16, 17:55
Vendor Member

by honza » Jun 29th, '16, 17:55

jayinhk wrote:
Rui wrote:
You are welcome.

Chawangshop has several cakes coming up. When I was in Kunming there were very few 2016 cakes around. A lot of cakes were in the process of pressing, and then they need some time to dry out before sale too. Lots to come!
We will finish all tea in late summer or autumn. Now maocha sleep and waiting :D This year all teas was late, not need rush with finish our teas fast...they are all for aging and future drinking...

Jun 29th, '16, 22:58
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Jun 29th, '16, 22:58

honza wrote:
jayinhk wrote:
Rui wrote:
You are welcome.

We will finish all tea in late summer or autumn. Now maocha sleep and waiting :D This year all teas was late, not need rush with finish our teas fast...they are all for aging and future drinking...
Good stuff, looking forward to your 2016 offerings!

Jun 30th, '16, 04:51

by Rui » Jun 30th, '16, 04:51

jayinhk wrote:
honza wrote:
jayinhk wrote:
Rui wrote:
You are welcome.

Good stuff, looking forward to your 2016 offerings!
Me too. Specially if it is anything like the Chawangshop 2015 He Kai.

Jun 30th, '16, 10:55
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Jun 30th, '16, 10:55

Trying out the 2006 Hong Tai Chang organic sheng from Tea-Side.com. I was provided with samples to review gratis, and so far, 2/2 for satisfaction. This is a very nice sheng. While it's lighter than I'd expect in the cup based on the age, leaf and flavor, this is lovely pu erh. Valery at tea-side is a Russian tea aficionado and appears to be very good at finding the best Thai teas. His descriptions are great, even if my palate identifies different flavors than his (no surprise). This tea tastes like black tea with light date and jujube flavors and pleasant bitterness and sourness when brewed with boiling water. The cha qi is powerful. That alone makes this tea well worth the purchase price. Tea from border regions tends to be much better value, IMO, than Yunnan pu erh, since the old trees aren't being overexploited (yet).

This tea has a slight barnyard aroma in the second infusion, but tastes very clean. This tea has seen very good storage, IMO, since it has aged well without any serious off aromas from excess humidity--exactly the kind of pu erh I like to drink and what I hope to achieve with my personal stash of sheng bingcha. IMO this tea is great value. Even if it isn't as intensely flavorful as my go to HK-storage 7542, the flavor is very pleasant and unique and this is a good tea I'll have to consider picking up as a regular drinker.

Infusion 3 had more raisin and prune. The leaves smelled strongly of barnyard before the infusion, but only a hint carried over into the cup.

Infusion 4 was much the same, but milder. Light barnyard and black tea. The leaves had a pronounced wildflower aroma that seemed to have blossomed out of the barnyard--very interesting.

Infusion 5 had a little more barnyard and black tea, along with light raisin.

This tea will probably go quite a while. Leaves are a mix of smaller whole leaves and some chop--not sure if that's from breaking off a piece of the cake, though. I'm really enjoying this session.

For $63 it works out to $1.50 or so a session, which is excellent value for an everyday drinker, and I can see it improving even more with age. It is mild but not too mild by any means, although perhaps I'd prefer something with more intensity of flavor. Good enough that I may have to pick up one or two as they're ready to drink and a good change from the 7542 I usually drink when I need sheng with a little age.

Jun 30th, '16, 14:42

by mbrb1832 » Jun 30th, '16, 14:42

Rui wrote:Sipping the last 6gms of 2014 Yunnan Sourcing Autumn Qing Mei Shan Old Arbor raw pu'er. I enjoyed ths tea's sample of 25gms.
I am also enjoying this 2014 Qing Mei Shan old arbor pu er sample
What I like about this tea is that it can give me the energy to move on the whole day
Not astringent with moderate after taste
Brew 4 g in my yixing 60 ml 'cup pot ' ( self invention)

Jun 30th, '16, 14:48

by Frisbeehead » Jun 30th, '16, 14:48

White2Tea has put up their 2016 selection of pu'erh. If anyone happens to buy a cake, please report back to let us know how it is! I'm interested in a few new ones, and I am very interested in this year's Bosch.

Jun 30th, '16, 17:23
Scrolling: scrolling

by Drax » Jun 30th, '16, 17:23

Frisbeehead wrote:White2Tea has put up their 2016 selection of pu'erh. If anyone happens to buy a cake, please report back to let us know how it is! I'm interested in a few new ones, and I am very interested in this year's Bosch.
I'll be sampling first, if anything... my appetite (and space available) for new puerh is pretty much at zilch... but I'll also be curious for any thoughts on the teas.

Jul 1st, '16, 03:13

by Rui » Jul 1st, '16, 03:13

Frisbeehead wrote:White2Tea has put up their 2016 selection of pu'erh. If anyone happens to buy a cake, please report back to let us know how it is! I'm interested in a few new ones, and I am very interested in this year's Bosch.
On my side I am also interested in hearing about the new Bosch.

Jul 1st, '16, 03:15

by Rui » Jul 1st, '16, 03:15

mbrb1832 wrote:
Rui wrote:Sipping the last 6gms of 2014 Yunnan Sourcing Autumn Qing Mei Shan Old Arbor raw pu'er. I enjoyed ths tea's sample of 25gms.
I am also enjoying this 2014 Qing Mei Shan old arbor pu er sample
What I like about this tea is that it can give me the energy to move on the whole day
Not astringent with moderate after taste
Brew 4 g in my yixing 60 ml 'cup pot ' ( self invention)
This morning I am sipping the 2015 Qing Mei Shan. Smooth with a very nice sweet aftertaste.

+ Post Reply