Official Pu of the day

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Sep 25th, '14, 04:47

Re: Official Pu of the day

by Rui » Sep 25th, '14, 04:47

At the moment I am sipping a very young pu'erh: 2011 Autumn Yi Wu from a mini cake. The larger cake has been put in storage for (much) later.

Sep 25th, '14, 08:57
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Sep 25th, '14, 08:57

Loose shu pu erh with over a decade of HK storage. Probably Menghai stuff. Very, very smooth after airing out for over a year, almost directly across the street from where it was purchased!

Sep 27th, '14, 16:37

by puerhking » Sep 27th, '14, 16:37

Having the 2013 Yunnan Sourcing Xiang Ming today. Bean, grain, leather and a brothy umami flavor that's hard to describe. Chaqi is good and the finish lingers in the mouth. Doesn't have the classic grain dominated Yiwu flavor, which for me is a nice change. Overall liking this one especially for the price.

Sep 28th, '14, 02:05

by 茶藝-TeaArt08 » Sep 28th, '14, 02:05

Gu Mu Lan for many quiet rounds in the soft, post-rain, Autumnal day....a nice compliment to the day's clean sky and moist, earthy air.

Blessings

Sep 28th, '14, 02:19

by Jaymo » Sep 28th, '14, 02:19

I opened up my 100g Phatty Cake 2011 from Mandala today to give it an initial try.

The cake is pretty compact with a couple slightly looser sections, but overall relatively uniform. I brewed 7g in my porcelain faux-gaiwan (It is a little taller, but similarly built,) brewing roughly 200ml at a time.

The first couple quick brews had some mineral notes, a tiny hint of mint, and slightly earthy. As I continued brewing it, some cocoa and hints of tobacco show up as well as dried dark fruit (dates/figs) without getting too sweet. It isn't astringent, but the mouthfeel develops a nice round fullness.

It develops some pretty dark color and stays intense in character, so after a slightly longer 3rd & 4th brew, I go back to short steeping times again for awhile. Even these are a deep garnet color at the lightest.

I haven't been drinking puerh that long, but this is one of my 2 favorites so far. I will be ordering more of it, especially since it's a smaller cake!

Sep 28th, '14, 15:42

by mam2431 » Sep 28th, '14, 15:42

I've been trying to find Nannuo teas to add to my puerh collection. Today I am enjoying the 2005 NannuoShan 7549 from Cha Wang. Tea notes posted on TeaDB alerted me to this one which I find very easy to like. There is an appealing bitterness and it provides a surprising mixture of tastes - aged-worn leather, forest wood and tobacco but there is also a bit of fruity sweetness (maybe plum) present. Nice huigan which builds throughout the session leaving an aftertaste which offered a pleasant cooling effect.

Any recommendations for other Nannuo shengs? I should mention that I also have two Nannuo offerings from White2Tea.

Sep 29th, '14, 17:02

by puerhking » Sep 29th, '14, 17:02

Today I'm enjoying the 2012 Yunnan Sourcing Mang Fei. Actually I've been drinking it for the past three days. Inviting aroma with grain and tobacco. Reminds me a bit of the Feng Chun. Another nice cake for the price.

Oct 3rd, '14, 21:42

by PurplePotato » Oct 3rd, '14, 21:42

2012 Ruiyuan Nannuo today. Good thing I didn't buy this just for the taste, as it tastes almost completely different from the last time I had it. Has also changed to having a drinkable level of a astringency.

Oct 3rd, '14, 22:19

by Teaism » Oct 3rd, '14, 22:19

Enjoying a nice 2014 wild early spring tea from one of the last frontier of remote tea mountain area near Zheng Kang. The body is extremely thick with lingering sweetness. A very unique experience with this tea as this is the first time I encounter a tea can that endure long steeping without being bitter or astringent but produce extremely thick body and sweetness brew. Definitely will be in my fave list.

Cheers! :D

Oct 4th, '14, 18:12

by PurplePotato » Oct 4th, '14, 18:12

Teaism wrote:Enjoying a nice 2014 wild early spring tea from one of the last frontier of remote tea mountain area near Zheng Kang. The body is extremely thick with lingering sweetness. A very unique experience with this tea as this is the first time I encounter a tea can that endure long steeping without being bitter or astringent but produce extremely thick body and sweetness brew. Definitely will be in my fave list.

Cheers! :D
That sounds nice. Do you think such a tea could be a good bet for aging, or more just something to drink now? There's no real way to know with any certainty, but I bet you have a guess :)

Oct 5th, '14, 21:59

by sung8891 » Oct 5th, '14, 21:59

Hi teachatters, I am in Singapore for few.days. Is anyone free to have tea here between 12-15 Oct or on the 8 of oct? My contact number here is +65 93899150. Su

Oct 6th, '14, 11:31
Vendor Member

by TwoDog2 » Oct 6th, '14, 11:31

PurplePotato wrote:2012 Ruiyuan Nannuo today. Good thing I didn't buy this just for the taste, as it tastes almost completely different from the last time I had it. Has also changed to having a drinkable level of a astringency.
It is always interesting when I don't try one of my teas for awhile and then it has had a large change in character. This happened to me with a tea that I had shelved for a couple of years in America and tried a few months ago! Puer will often be surprising, especially the younger teas. After a younger tea is pressed it is in a near constant state of (relatively) rapid evolution for a few years.

Hopefully the newly evolved taste was pleasant?! If not, back to the shelf.

Oct 7th, '14, 02:42

by Emmett » Oct 7th, '14, 02:42

mam2431 wrote:I've been trying to find Nannuo teas to add to my puerh collection. Today I am enjoying the 2005 NannuoShan 7549 from Cha Wang. Tea notes posted on TeaDB alerted me to this one which I find very easy to like. There is an appealing bitterness and it provides a surprising mixture of tastes - aged-worn leather, forest wood and tobacco but there is also a bit of fruity sweetness (maybe plum) present. Nice huigan which builds throughout the session leaving an aftertaste which offered a pleasant cooling effect.

Any recommendations for other Nannuo shengs? I should mention that I also have two Nannuo offerings from White2Tea.
You should try the 2008 American Hao 0802 Nannuo from Puerh Shop and the 2007 Changtai Nannuo Wild Arbor. Both are very decent. The Changtai you can still find on ebay I believe.

Oct 7th, '14, 19:18

by PurplePotato » Oct 7th, '14, 19:18

TwoDog2 wrote:
PurplePotato wrote:2012 Ruiyuan Nannuo today. Good thing I didn't buy this just for the taste, as it tastes almost completely different from the last time I had it. Has also changed to having a drinkable level of a astringency.
It is always interesting when I don't try one of my teas for awhile and then it has had a large change in character. This happened to me with a tea that I had shelved for a couple of years in America and tried a few months ago! Puer will often be surprising, especially the younger teas. After a younger tea is pressed it is in a near constant state of (relatively) rapid evolution for a few years.

Hopefully the newly evolved taste was pleasant?! If not, back to the shelf.
A few years would have made sense; for me it was about three weeks!

The new taste was interesting. I expended quite a bit of mental effort during the session trying to figure out how I could describe the flavor, and the best I could come up with is a bean curd (tofu) dish I used to get at a Chinese restaurant, which is probably wrong and helps no one. In any case, I find that if the qi is interesting enough, some issues in flavor can be forgiven.

On a similar note, I did a side-by-side tasting of some of Yunnan Sourcing's Wulaings lately; the 2013, 2012, and 2010. Although there were some differences, I could have believed that they were all from the same cake.

Oct 7th, '14, 20:23

by BioHorn » Oct 7th, '14, 20:23

Enjoying 10g of shuish-sheng labeled "90's 8892" (CNNP?) from White2Tea. It has nice creamy yet complex components, dark teeth staining hue and respectable length of finish. Nice to see a vendor offer some mature tea. Thank you for the sample!

+ Post Reply