Official Pu of the day

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Dec 26th, '16, 16:01

Re: Official Pu of the day

by stevorama » Dec 26th, '16, 16:01

While travelling for the holidays I brought some 2014 Feng Qing "Golden Pu-erh" from YS to brew in a 85 ml porcelain pot. The tea is made of buds and slow fermented in bags. I've never been particularly enthusiastic about it, but it's brewing very well! Perfect way to finish up what I have left.

Dec 26th, '16, 22:05
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Dec 26th, '16, 22:05

stevorama wrote:While travelling for the holidays I brought some 2014 Feng Qing "Golden Pu-erh" from YS to brew in a 85 ml porcelain pot. The tea is made of buds and slow fermented in bags. I've never been particularly enthusiastic about it, but it's brewing very well! Perfect way to finish up what I have left.
I was just looking at that a few days ago--I want to try some!

Dec 26th, '16, 23:42

by stevorama » Dec 26th, '16, 23:42

jayinhk wrote:I was just looking at that a few days ago--I want to try some!
It's certainly unique. It appears like black tea with individual hairy buds. It carries the caffeine of buds and black tea too. It smells of dui wei, which has reduced some with 1 year storage in a ceramic jar. I think it might need more years of storage to improve. For the price it's certainly worth sampling!

Dec 27th, '16, 02:22
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Dec 27th, '16, 02:22

stevorama wrote:
jayinhk wrote:I was just looking at that a few days ago--I want to try some!
It's certainly unique. It appears like black tea with individual hairy buds. It carries the caffeine of buds and black tea too. It smells of dui wei, which has reduced some with 1 year storage in a ceramic jar. I think it might need more years of storage to improve. For the price it's certainly worth sampling!
I believe it's how they get rid of old dianhong that's lost its aroma! Some humid storage would probably benefit it greatly!

Dec 28th, '16, 13:21

by stevorama » Dec 28th, '16, 13:21

jayinhk wrote:I believe it's how they get rid of old dianhong that's lost its aroma! Some humid storage would probably benefit it greatly!
I'd believe that. I also was thinking that more humid storage would help. The unique thing about this tea is the preservation of the buds, with hairs still intact. Must have been a very gentle fermentation.

Dec 28th, '16, 13:50
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Dec 28th, '16, 13:50

stevorama wrote:
jayinhk wrote:I believe it's how they get rid of old dianhong that's lost its aroma! Some humid storage would probably benefit it greatly!
I'd believe that. I also was thinking that more humid storage would help. The unique thing about this tea is the preservation of the buds, with hairs still intact. Must have been a very gentle fermentation.
Yes, I'm surprised that such a light fermentation made it stink so much. I think I'll stick to gongting pu erh that I age myself!

Dec 28th, '16, 22:37

by stevorama » Dec 28th, '16, 22:37

jayinhk wrote:Yes, I'm surprised that such a light fermentation made it stink so much. I think I'll stick to gongting pu erh that I age myself!
I've seen product descriptions on YS stating that lighter fermentation needs longer aging for wo dui to dissipate. Not sure I understand that or if it applies here. This tea is 2014, so fairly young.

Dec 28th, '16, 22:58
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Dec 28th, '16, 22:58

stevorama wrote:
jayinhk wrote:Yes, I'm surprised that such a light fermentation made it stink so much. I think I'll stick to gongting pu erh that I age myself!
I've seen product descriptions on YS stating that lighter fermentation needs longer aging for wo dui to dissipate. Not sure I understand that or if it applies here. This tea is 2014, so fairly young.
Could be the youth factor, but I had shu in Thailand that was lovely a few months after fermentation. Sweet and tasty. Not sure how that was achieved but it was damn good shu, and homemade!

Dec 31st, '16, 15:13

by iGo » Dec 31st, '16, 15:13

Inspired by Ferg selling off his Origin Tea collection, I hit an sample of 1999 Kunming Factory Red in Red. Sweet and Smooth.

Jan 4th, '17, 22:20

by stevorama » Jan 4th, '17, 22:20

1992 Da Ye Loose Leaf Sheng Puerh. A pleasure to drink. I would prefer that more such teas were readily available or that I bought more tonnage of this one.

Jan 10th, '17, 23:50

by stevorama » Jan 10th, '17, 23:50

Started the day with 2003 Xinghai Wild Elephant Valley shou. Pleasant enough, but not as inspiring as previous sessions with it.

Moved onto a 2004 Manzhuan sheng acquired from Theasophie Tea. Floral. Very drinkable. Expansive and relaxing feel from it.

Jan 11th, '17, 07:06
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Jan 11th, '17, 07:06

Drank the last of a free bag of loose shu a HK vendor gave me when I made a purchase. Really lovely everyday drinking loose shu!

Jan 11th, '17, 16:21

by stevorama » Jan 11th, '17, 16:21

2004 Denong Red Label shou from Bana Tea. Also a loose tea, from broken-up cakes. Trying to finish up what I have left, but this one's a little heavy going for me. Maybe better in a few years.

Jan 18th, '17, 23:50

by stevorama » Jan 18th, '17, 23:50

Discovered a "surprise" in my pu of the day. Emptied the pot and found a mushroom. In a shu pu er! Looks like some variety of shelf mushroom, identity to be determined.

Jan 19th, '17, 04:17
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Jan 19th, '17, 04:17

stevorama wrote:Discovered a "surprise" in my pu of the day. Emptied the pot and found a mushroom. In a shu pu er! Looks like some variety of shelf mushroom, identity to be determined.
That's scary! Some fungi are highly toxic and can cause serious nerve and kidney damage! I can see how mushrooms would sprout on shu. It serves as a substrate for fungi during decomposition, after all...

+ Post Reply