Official Pu of the day

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Nov 20th, '08, 20:56

by shogun89 » Nov 20th, '08, 20:56

thanks wrote:2008 Menghai "Springtime Water" sheng 500g
Source: YSLLC

Astringency not too bad
Smoke none
Dryness very little, unless bullied
Mouthfeel above average
Hui gan some +
Flavor good, vibrant!
Overall value fantastic
Purchase again yes, of course.

Oily, vibrant, young, energetic. These are pretty good ways of describing the Springtime Water cake from Menghai. A fantastic bang for buck weighing at roughly a pound for a mere $13.70! Be mindful of it's age and tenacity, use slightly less leaf than you normally would and this tea shows you an evolving flavor over infusions, pushing it tends to provide excellent results that differ from the last infusion, while only gaining slightly in a good bitterness and astringency. This is quite simply a surprise tea, a sleeper hit Dayi release for 08. I've not heard anyone even mention this cake this year, and it's really quite a shame. If you're looking for that cake to round out your next order from YSSLC, think twice and take a gamble. I'm sure if you don't agree with me now you might in a few years. Good tea for the money.
Nice review! One has been added to the list. I am starting to notice how alot of us are starting to become partial to Mengahi, though they are mass produced probably plantation cakes they produce an excellent quality product for the price.

Nov 20th, '08, 21:16

by thanks » Nov 20th, '08, 21:16

Thanks for the kind words.

Menghai is responsible for some of the most legendary teas and tea recipes in the whole world. Their ownership of plantations on several famous mountains, their great recipes and attention to detail (regardless of being mass produced), their fair prices, and their consistency prove to be a safe bet year after year. I can only assume people overlook them because they're the big guys, their cakes don't look beautiful, and they're cheap or something.

With that being said, however, Menghai is not the only brand I follow. I follow wherever good tea is, it just so happens that 08 is my "year of Menghai". I'm really trying to establish a solid collection of Menghai stuff this year for aging. I hope no one around here thinks me to be a Menghai fanboy and nothing else.

Nov 20th, '08, 21:34

by shogun89 » Nov 20th, '08, 21:34

Dont worry thanks, I do not see yo as a Menghai nut or anything. I do agree with you on the fact that stocking up on this stuff for years to come is a good idea. If only shipping wasn't killer I might consider a tong.

Nov 20th, '08, 22:12

by Goose » Nov 20th, '08, 22:12

puerhking wrote:
Goose wrote:
Goose wrote:I had sent Scott at YSLLC an email about this Yuan Nian Yi Wu 2007
tea earlier today-I will report his reply.
Scott did get back to me. He will investigate this company and see about sourcing this tea.I will update ASAP.

Jim
I will be interested to see what Scott says about this company and any tasting notes he may reveal.
Ok Scott from YSLLC contacted me and he is going to carry these teas-

Gathering of Heroes -
8848 Meters Above Sea Level -
Yi Wu -
Jiang Cheng -#4 Raw Cake -

Scott did taste them and is very pleased with the cost/value of them. He did mention the beng are stone pressed.
He is offering the members here a direct price so drop him an email at

yunnansourcing@gmail.com

Jim

Nov 20th, '08, 22:38
Scrolling: scrolling

by Salsero » Nov 20th, '08, 22:38

thanks wrote: This is quite simply a surprise tea, a sleeper hit Dayi release for 08. I've not heard anyone even mention this cake this year, and it's really quite a shame. If you're looking for that cake to round out your next order from YSSLC, think twice and take a gamble.
This is why we love you, Thanks, for finding us hidden gems like this!

Nov 21st, '08, 00:17

by thanks » Nov 21st, '08, 00:17

Salsero wrote:
thanks wrote: This is quite simply a surprise tea, a sleeper hit Dayi release for 08. I've not heard anyone even mention this cake this year, and it's really quite a shame. If you're looking for that cake to round out your next order from YSSLC, think twice and take a gamble.
This is why we love you, Thanks, for finding us hidden gems like this!
I'm all about value!

Nov 21st, '08, 11:39

by puerhking » Nov 21st, '08, 11:39

Goose wrote:
puerhking wrote:
Goose wrote:
Goose wrote:I had sent Scott at YSLLC an email about this Yuan Nian Yi Wu 2007
tea earlier today-I will report his reply.
Scott did get back to me. He will investigate this company and see about sourcing this tea.I will update ASAP.

Jim
I will be interested to see what Scott says about this company and any tasting notes he may reveal.
Ok Scott from YSLLC contacted me and he is going to carry these teas-

Gathering of Heroes -
8848 Meters Above Sea Level -
Yi Wu -
Jiang Cheng -#4 Raw Cake -

Scott did taste them and is very pleased with the cost/value of them. He did mention the beng are stone pressed.
He is offering the members here a direct price so drop him an email at

yunnansourcing@gmail.com

Jim
Nice job following up on that Jim......thanks for doing that.

Nov 23rd, '08, 12:37

by puerhking » Nov 23rd, '08, 12:37

2005 Chun Ming Fengshan (Phoenix mountain) "702" Spring Tips Pu-erh Tea
Purchased from YSLLC - now out of stock - I think I paid $13 for it

Astringency - none
Smoke - slight bit
Dryness - none
Mouthfeel - good
Hui gan - not detecting any
Flavor - quite good
Overall value - very good
Purchase - if I can find more I will

When I first purchased this cake I was not too impressed. A couple of years later I am diggin it quite a bit. Flavors of honey, herbs and a slight bit of smoke on the finish....and with later infusions a bit of carmel. The finish is quite long...one of the longest Ive come across. Overall a great value that I wish I had purchased more of. But thats the nature of the beast.

Nov 24th, '08, 12:35

by Goose » Nov 24th, '08, 12:35

2000 Zhongcha Green Mark.

Very soothing on a difficult day.
Jim

Nov 24th, '08, 16:31

by shogun89 » Nov 24th, '08, 16:31

Yunnan Tea Co. Premium Alliance.

5 grams-130 ml. yixing
15 sec. wash
15 sec 1st steep.

Astringency- medium/lots
smoke- none
Dryness-little
Mouthfeel- good
Hui gan- some
Flavor- good+
overall value - I'd pay $20-25/357g.
Purchase - for $25, yes

I got this sample out of the pu pass so I dont know a whole lot about it. I'm guessing its a 2005-2006 by the color. Nice whole leaves, wonderful smell dry and wet. Astringency is fairly heavy so I think this would be a great candidate for aging. Hui gan should develop nicely with time as should the mouth feel which is still a bit tingly at this point. Dont know the price but I'd be willing to pay 20-25 for it but thats just because I'm on a budget. For some $45 might be a good deal. So all in all a very good tea, that will improve greatly with further aging.
I believe Salsero provided me with this sample so many thanks to Sal! If that is incorrect please excuse me. :D

Nov 24th, '08, 16:48

by puerhking » Nov 24th, '08, 16:48

2005 Jiu Wan * Old Tea Horse Road * Raw Pu-Erh Tea Cake 357g

http://cgi.ebay.com/2005-Jiu-Wan-Old-Te ... m153.l1262

Astringency- some
smoke- medium
Dryness- some
Mouthfeel- good
Hui gan- some if you consider it returning flavor
Flavor- good+
Overall value - good
Purchase again - maybe

Tightly rolled and compressed make it a bit difficult to measure amount as I dont use a scale. First couple of brews were a bit astringent and smokey. Pulled some leaf out for other brews. Notes of smoke, honey, herbs, wood and some maturing flavors. Has nice lingering flavors on finish but little sweetness. I think this will improve in a couple of years but I am not certain. The Chun Ming cake was better. I like this one but right now I am not compelled to buy another. Will try again in six months.

Nov 24th, '08, 17:43
Scrolling: scrolling

by Salsero » Nov 24th, '08, 17:43

shogun89 wrote: Yunnan Tea Co. Premium Alliance.
If it is the one I put in there, it is the "2007 Yunnian Tea Co “Premium Alliance” cake." That's one of them that Jim was considering getting sent over here from Kunming via the slow boat. That company seems also to be called Yun Nan Yuen Nian Tea Co.. It was $5.99 from vins_n_tea the here-today-gone-tomorrow ebay guy.

To refresh your memory: http://www.teachat.com/viewtopic.php?t= ... ht=yunnian

My own review of it is in the Puerhshop reviews thread ... and now yours will also be there! :lol:

http://www.teachat.com/viewtopic.php?p= ... nian#75205

Nov 24th, '08, 19:06

by puerhking » Nov 24th, '08, 19:06

Salsero wrote:
shogun89 wrote: Yunnan Tea Co. Premium Alliance.
If it is the one I put in there, it is the "2007 Yunnian Tea Co “Premium Alliance” cake." That's one of them that Jim was considering getting sent over here from Kunming via the slow boat. That company seems also to be called Yun Nan Yuen Nian Tea Co.. It was $5.99 from vins_n_tea the here-today-gone-tomorrow ebay guy.

To refresh your memory: http://www.teachat.com/viewtopic.php?t= ... ht=yunnian

My own review of it is in the Puerhshop reviews thread ... and now yours will also be there! :lol:

http://www.teachat.com/viewtopic.php?p= ... nian#75205
I thought you got this one.......

http://cgi.ebay.com/2007-Yuan-Nian-Gath ... m153.l1262

am I wrong?

Nov 24th, '08, 19:18

by PolyhymnianMuse » Nov 24th, '08, 19:18

I'm going to opening up this one in a little bit and sampling it in my gaiwan.

http://cgi.ebay.com/2007-Yuan-Nian-Yi-W ... m153.l1262

I'll let you all know what I think about it. I also 2 of this one http://cgi.ebay.com/2007-Yuan-Nian-4-Ra ... m153.l1262 so I might sample that aswell. A tong of any one of those 5 yuan nian cakes are $40-$50 depending on which one you want.

Nov 24th, '08, 19:27

by shogun89 » Nov 24th, '08, 19:27

PolyhymnianMuse wrote:I'm going to opening up this one in a little bit and sampling it in my gaiwan.

http://cgi.ebay.com/2007-Yuan-Nian-Yi-W ... m153.l1262

I'll let you all know what I think about it. I also 2 of this one http://cgi.ebay.com/2007-Yuan-Nian-4-Ra ... m153.l1262 so I might sample that aswell. A tong of any one of those 5 yuan nian cakes are $40-$50 depending on which one you want.
I've been looking at both of them, Please be sure to tell us your thoughts because that is a tong I could actually afford. Shipping is the killer though. . . .

+ Post Reply