Official Pu of the day

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Jan 16th, '15, 22:44

Re: Official Pu of the day

by shah82 » Jan 16th, '15, 22:44

Hey, Sanhetang practically exists for this reason!

Also hard to know what their actual preference is. Dry stored is one thing, but people would need to know more.

Jan 17th, '15, 10:03

by j.p.rich » Jan 17th, '15, 10:03

EoT Yun Yun. My favorite of their 2014 vintage. Damn, that cake is tiny, may not last long enough to age. Seems like a young (maybe weaker?) version of the green stamp?

Jan 19th, '15, 10:33

by j.p.rich » Jan 19th, '15, 10:33

Today it's a sample of Tea Urchin's 2014 Lao Ban Zhang, my first sampling of this type. I can see where all the hype comes from, this tea is full of sizzle, it's bitterness is very pleasant even for someone like myself who normally shies away from this. The Qi is solid and pleasant.

Problem is the cost of entry is high at $323 for a little cake which translates to $577 for a "normal" sized offering. Personally I cannot see it, would rather pay much less for something like the Last Thoughts.

Jan 22nd, '15, 15:45

by Zacherywolf7 » Jan 22nd, '15, 15:45

2008 Bulang from Essence of Tea
This is easily my favorite tea I've ever had in terms of flavor and smell. It hits an emotional cord because the heavy vanilla smell of the liquid reminds me of my dad's pancakes as a younger person, so every time I taste this not only do I love the flavor but it's doing what all foodies famously want, a gateway back into their child hood.

Jan 22nd, '15, 18:14

by BW85 » Jan 22nd, '15, 18:14

Zacherywolf7 wrote:2008 Bulang from Essence of Tea
This is easily my favorite tea I've ever had in terms of flavor and smell. It hits an emotional cord because the heavy vanilla smell of the liquid reminds me of my dad's pancakes as a younger person, so every time I taste this not only do I love the flavor but it's doing what all foodies famously want, a gateway back into their child hood.
Yes this is a very good tea :)

Jan 23rd, '15, 00:45

by Anteaque » Jan 23rd, '15, 00:45

2005 Ming-Yuan Hao Yi-Wu Wild Old Tree Cake (raw) from houde.

Two years ago, this tea was super smoky. Too much so for my taste. The smoky flavor now has dissipated almost completely. The aroma from the first three steeps was incredibly sweet and floral. After four, the aroma dropped off but the body continued with a good mouth feel with some lingering taste.

Basically no astringency until I really started to push it near the end.

Question... these leaves are incredibly long and the cake is pretty loose so I was able to extract the leaves fairly easily without breaking them. As you can see they kind of stick out of my ~100ml yixing. In these situations I just rinse the leaves in this state, and then it is easy to just push them in after for the first real infusion. How do you all approach this situation?

2005_Ming-Yuan_Hao_Yi-Wu.jpg
2005 Ming-Yuan Hao Yi-Wu Wild Old Tree Cake
2005_Ming-Yuan_Hao_Yi-Wu.jpg (64.34 KiB) Viewed 1468 times

Jan 23rd, '15, 00:52

by futurebird » Jan 23rd, '15, 00:52

"We're gonna need a bigger pot."

No idea. Never had that happen. Seems like an awful lot of stem to me...

Jan 23rd, '15, 01:53

by kyarazen » Jan 23rd, '15, 01:53

Anteaque wrote: Question... these leaves are incredibly long and the cake is pretty loose so I was able to extract the leaves fairly easily without breaking them. As you can see they kind of stick out of my ~100ml yixing. In these situations I just rinse the leaves in this state, and then it is easy to just push them in after for the first real infusion. How do you all approach this situation?
thats how most do it too.. since breaking the leaf is detrimental :)

Jan 23rd, '15, 07:43
Scrolling: scrolling

by Drax » Jan 23rd, '15, 07:43

Yeah, that's what I do as well. Come to think of it, that's kind of similar to my approach to dried spaghetti pasta, too... haha.

Jan 25th, '15, 02:39

by quikstep » Jan 25th, '15, 02:39

2008 Chen Yuan Hao Yiwu Zhengshan Mushroom-shaped pu-erh (2008 陳远号 易武正山 紧茶)

Drank and reviewed this tea some time ago. While the 'yun' is good, the 'huigan' sweetness is hit-and-miss. While I don't doubt it's maocha from dashu (old tree), it's probably from autumn.

The tea itself is very clean and clear and void of any foreign smell. The leaves are long but slender; whole and not bits and pieces nonetheless. Enjoyable.

Last edited by quikstep on Jan 29th, '15, 06:04, edited 1 time in total.

Jan 27th, '15, 21:53

by mr mopu » Jan 27th, '15, 21:53

2013 Yunnan Sourcing Autumn Mang Fei Sheng.
Breaking into this one a day after getting it? Yes indeed. I usually let these sit a few weeks in the pumidor to open up a bit. The dry aroma on this said “drink me now”. so I will. I rinsed this last night to prepare for this evening. The leaves are an olive color and look really nice in the Yixing. When hit with the hot water the aromatics of hay and flowers come to mind. I did 3 short steeps into one 10 oz. cup.There is a nice golden amber color to this one in the cup.
First sips say mang Fei for sure. Strong kick on this one. Very strong for an Autumn tea. It hits full on. Very thick active mouthfeel on this one. Fantastic tingle on the tongue with a bit of drying after sipping. The bitterness of this progresses from a sharp bite to a bit of drying a few seconds after to a semi-sweet floral grassy note. In terms of strength steep this one very quick. It is a very potent Autumn tea and has that kick butt attitude when you drink it. Very nice . They say the strongest teas age well, I think I am going to be really interested in this one in a few years. A truly wonderful Autumn tea.

Flavors: Bitter, Drying, Flowers, Hay, Thick

Jan 29th, '15, 02:54

by PuerhCollector » Jan 29th, '15, 02:54

Drinking the EOT 2009 Bulang brings back memories.

Looking at some highlights of 2009 - Barack Obama becomes US President - Abhisit Vejjajiva is Thailand Prime Minister - Sri Lankan Civil War ends after 26 years of fighting - Michael Jackson passes away - H1N1 swine flu causes international concern - the puerh market continues to recover from the bursting of the 2007 bubble - and of course the highlight, the EOT 2009 Bulang was released to puerh enthusiasts worldwide.

The tea itself is still full on. The dark floral like aromas are intense followed by a background of sweetness. The taste has slightly darken and mellow with time but is still powerful and potent. The brew is nicely textured and feels filling in the mouth. It is my impression that Bulang teas don’t quite have the complexity of Banzhang but I can see this aging really well. My problem is I have 1 ½ teacakes remaining, so when it finally matures into a classic age tea in maybe a few decades in the future I may have only 10g left for a final pot :roll:

A toast to 2009 and a big thank you to EOT!
VP
Attachments
EOT 2009 Bulang.jpg
EOT 2009 Bulang.jpg (64.31 KiB) Viewed 1327 times

Jan 29th, '15, 03:13

by wert » Jan 29th, '15, 03:13

Change of pace with some loose sheng. I don't know anything about this one(gift), but it can't be more than a few years old.
loosesheng.jpg
loosesheng.jpg (50.99 KiB) Viewed 1322 times
sheng (480x640).jpg
sheng (480x640).jpg (32 KiB) Viewed 1322 times

Jan 29th, '15, 03:53

by Tead Off » Jan 29th, '15, 03:53

PuerhCollector wrote:Drinking the EOT 2009 Bulang brings back memories.

Looking at some highlights of 2009 - Barack Obama becomes US President - Abhisit Vejjajiva is Thailand Prime Minister - Sri Lankan Civil War ends after 26 years of fighting - Michael Jackson passes away - H1N1 swine flu causes international concern - the puerh market continues to recover from the bursting of the 2007 bubble - and of course the highlight, the EOT 2009 Bulang was released to puerh enthusiasts worldwide.

The tea itself is still full on. The dark floral like aromas are intense followed by a background of sweetness. The taste has slightly darken and mellow with time but is still powerful and potent. The brew is nicely textured and feels filling in the mouth. It is my impression that Bulang teas don’t quite have the complexity of Banzhang but I can see this aging really well. My problem is I have 1 ½ teacakes remaining, so when it finally matures into a classic age tea in maybe a few decades in the future I may have only 10g left for a final pot :roll:

A toast to 2009 and a big thank you to EOT!
VP
I think 2009 was a very good year for Puerhcha. Luckily, I bought a tong of Bingdao.

Can't comment on the other events. :D

Jan 29th, '15, 05:57

by quikstep » Jan 29th, '15, 05:57

Just reposting from Chen Yuan Hao Pu-erh Tea

2005 Chen Yuan Hao (陈远号) Shan Zhong Chuan Qi (山中传奇)

Summary: Loved by blend/pinpei (拼配) drinkers, adored by single mountain/danyi (单一) connoisseur.

Shan Zhong Chuan Qi is an interesting name. It translates into "Tales of the Mountain" or "Legend of the Mountain". Legend has it too that a book was planned to be launched along with this tea in 2005/6 :)

The wrapper itself deserves a special mention because the artwork seems to suggest that this is a journey cake; perhaps the Cha Ma Gu Dao (茶马古道). Beneath the wrapper, whole tea leaves are packed in the cake has browned from post-fermentation considerably in 10 years. Each of these cakes are uniquely numbered as there is only 10,000 copies in total. The signature of Mr Chen Huaiyuan is printed on the neifei (内飞). Dry leaves are void of any smoke smell.

What it does in the mouth makes this a personal favourite Chen Yuan Hao product of mine. The soup is now deep amber in color. Perhaps on par with 2003 Yiwu Zhengshan. The fragrance and taste of this tea reminds me of Tong Qing Hao (同庆号); sweet and strong huigan (回甜). At the same time it's also like the Fu Yuan Chang (福元昌); fast dispersing slight bitterness, strong tea base (茶底) and mouthfeel (口感). Overall Yiwu's "slowly-slowly gently-gently" characters take a back seat. A very balanced tea that does not gets boring even over 10 brews. The mellowness will only get better with more age. When cold, it does not taste anymore bitterness than when the soup is warm.

+ Post Reply