Official Pu of the day

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Jan 29th, '15, 06:44

Re: Official Pu of the day

by bankung » Jan 29th, '15, 06:44

Tead Off wrote:
PuerhCollector wrote:Drinking the EOT 2009 Bulang brings back memories.

Looking at some highlights of 2009 - Barack Obama becomes US President - Abhisit Vejjajiva is Thailand Prime Minister - Sri Lankan Civil War ends after 26 years of fighting - Michael Jackson passes away - H1N1 swine flu causes international concern - the puerh market continues to recover from the bursting of the 2007 bubble - and of course the highlight, the EOT 2009 Bulang was released to puerh enthusiasts worldwide.

The tea itself is still full on. The dark floral like aromas are intense followed by a background of sweetness. The taste has slightly darken and mellow with time but is still powerful and potent. The brew is nicely textured and feels filling in the mouth. It is my impression that Bulang teas don’t quite have the complexity of Banzhang but I can see this aging really well. My problem is I have 1 ½ teacakes remaining, so when it finally matures into a classic age tea in maybe a few decades in the future I may have only 10g left for a final pot :roll:

A toast to 2009 and a big thank you to EOT!
VP
I think 2009 was a very good year for Puerhcha. Luckily, I bought a tong of Bingdao.

Can't comment on the other events. :D
IMO, 2009 and 2013 are among the best puerh vintages so far.

Jan 29th, '15, 07:34

by PuerhCollector » Jan 29th, '15, 07:34

bankung wrote:
Tead Off wrote:
PuerhCollector wrote:Drinking the EOT 2009 Bulang brings back memories.

Looking at some highlights of 2009 - Barack Obama becomes US President - Abhisit Vejjajiva is Thailand Prime Minister - Sri Lankan Civil War ends after 26 years of fighting - Michael Jackson passes away - H1N1 swine flu causes international concern - the puerh market continues to recover from the bursting of the 2007 bubble - and of course the highlight, the EOT 2009 Bulang was released to puerh enthusiasts worldwide.

The tea itself is still full on. The dark floral like aromas are intense followed by a background of sweetness. The taste has slightly darken and mellow with time but is still powerful and potent. The brew is nicely textured and feels filling in the mouth. It is my impression that Bulang teas don’t quite have the complexity of Banzhang but I can see this aging really well. My problem is I have 1 ½ teacakes remaining, so when it finally matures into a classic age tea in maybe a few decades in the future I may have only 10g left for a final pot :roll:

A toast to 2009 and a big thank you to EOT!
VP
I think 2009 was a very good year for Puerhcha. Luckily, I bought a tong of Bingdao.

Can't comment on the other events. :D
IMO, 2009 and 2013 are among the best puerh vintages so far.
Hello Gentlemen,

We live and learn. For me a tong has become the minimum quantity I now buy for a tea I like provided I can afford it. Otherwise it’s like a stick up – empty your wallet and start counting :shock:

My favorite years are 2004, 2005, 2009, 2011.

VP

Jan 31st, '15, 11:58

by debunix » Jan 31st, '15, 11:58

Enjoying a very lovely soft of accidental puerh session, which started out with some Lao Cha Tou from Norbu in the thermos, and a day later the leftover was still too nice to toss out for a fresh batch, so I added a fresh nugget, and more water. I had a bit of an old 7542 (might have that wrong) sample from EOT that I had started in a small shibo the day before, and hadn't gotten back to, and I was worried about the leaves sitting over the weekend in the office, so I added them to the thermos, topped it up with hot water, and and this morning, that's what I'm drinking. Old sheng, young shu, and lots of time gently steeping in unorthodox combinations of teas and vessels, and it's lovely: sweet, earthy, just a hint of plummy fruit. Mmm.

Feb 1st, '15, 10:13
Scrolling: scrolling

by the_economist » Feb 1st, '15, 10:13

Mangzhi, Autumn 2011, from TU
Now a pretty pleasant/mellow drink

Feb 1st, '15, 23:17
Vendor Member

by TwoDog2 » Feb 1st, '15, 23:17

the_economist wrote:Mangzhi, Autumn 2011, from TU
Now a pretty pleasant/mellow drink

Lovely setup

Feb 2nd, '15, 02:20
Scrolling: scrolling

by the_economist » Feb 2nd, '15, 02:20

Thanks!

Feb 2nd, '15, 02:47

by PurplePotato » Feb 2nd, '15, 02:47

2002 Jianshen tuo from w2t today. Used the last chunk off of the 100g tuo. I remember my first session of the tuo, where the tea left a complex changing aftertaste for a good hour after the session. I also remember a middle session that was basically all smoke, that got dumped. Today the qi is rather something.
Last edited by PurplePotato on Feb 2nd, '15, 15:42, edited 1 time in total.

Feb 2nd, '15, 11:06

by Puerlife » Feb 2nd, '15, 11:06

2014 Spring Bingdao maocha from Teadezhang 4 grams in 60 to 70 ml ceramic gaiwan from White2tea. Stored since July on a living room shelf in the thick paper sample envelope and it survived the rainy season. Wow, this is better than the Bang Dong! That should be obvious from the price difference but till now I’ve compared material from Bing Dao and Bang Dong cakes and have always preferred the latter. Perhaps that says more about my immature puer palate than the tea itself? I’ve had five infusions so far. It has a depth I can’t describe, a well-balanced cocktail of mineral and gushu taste with a smooth, thick body that leaves mouth, lip and body sensations and chaqi changing dynamically. Ten to 15 minutes after the fifth infusion my throat opened up and a rich huigan filled my mouth, and my lower lip has been extremely minty and cooled and is still getting stronger. 6) 15s tongue dry and wet at the same time? Loads of minty cooling. My head is feeling overwhelmed by qi. I think I should stop but I worry that the wet leaves will deteriorate. 7) 20s 8) 25s 9) 30s tongue coating getting thicker. Flavor thinner, broth thinner, but qi, wow, it’s great but I feel it’s too much. Feel like meditating. 10) 35s mostly mineral taste, thin broth, very slow huigan that’s very nice, accompanied soon after by minty cooling. 11) 60s some off taste but also some thick broth and mellowness 12) 35s good plain taste 13) same, certainly not that interesting anymore but plenty drinkable 14) 40s mineral taste is back and slight cooling. Oh wait, now off taste. Great session and a good example of why Bingdao is becoming a famous terroir.

Feb 4th, '15, 04:20

by Rui » Feb 4th, '15, 04:20

2014 Yunnan Sourcing Impression raw pu'erh. Despite its young age I find it a pleansant tea to sip away.

Feb 4th, '15, 05:02

by Tead Off » Feb 4th, '15, 05:02

Puerlife wrote:2014 Spring Bingdao maocha from Teadezhang 4 grams in 60 to 70 ml ceramic gaiwan from White2tea. Stored since July on a living room shelf in the thick paper sample envelope and it survived the rainy season. Wow, this is better than the Bang Dong! That should be obvious from the price difference but till now I’ve compared material from Bing Dao and Bang Dong cakes and have always preferred the latter.
I have both Bingdao and Bangdong tea from TDZ, 2013 harvest. In this case, the Bingdao is too smoky and ruins the tea for me. Maybe after half a dozen brews, it lets up, but not enough for my taste or money. The Bangdong is far better and a good value. No smoke, tasty, and a good drinker from first to last brew.

It's also impossible, IMO, to lump all Bingdao into the same category. There are different levels, grades, areas of harvest, that will give different results. I could never compare the above Bingdao to the 2009 Bingdao that I have put away. I don't know why I bought that 2013 cake. For me, it was a mistake that I don't wish to make any longer. So important to taste what you buy very carefully and not be influenced by other drinkers. What do they know? :lol:

Feb 4th, '15, 23:31

by Puerlife » Feb 4th, '15, 23:31

Tead Off wrote:
Puerlife wrote:2014 Spring Bingdao maocha from Teadezhang 4 grams in 60 to 70 ml ceramic gaiwan from White2tea. Stored since July on a living room shelf in the thick paper sample envelope and it survived the rainy season. Wow, this is better than the Bang Dong! That should be obvious from the price difference but till now I’ve compared material from Bing Dao and Bang Dong cakes and have always preferred the latter.
I have both Bingdao and Bangdong tea from TDZ, 2013 harvest. In this case, the Bingdao is too smoky and ruins the tea for me. Maybe after half a dozen brews, it lets up, but not enough for my taste or money. The Bangdong is far better and a good value. No smoke, tasty, and a good drinker from first to last brew.

It's also impossible, IMO, to lump all Bingdao into the same category. There are different levels, grades, areas of harvest, that will give different results. I could never compare the above Bingdao to the 2009 Bingdao that I have put away. I don't know why I bought that 2013 cake. For me, it was a mistake that I don't wish to make any longer. So important to taste what you buy very carefully and not be influenced by other drinkers. What do they know? :lol:
Interesting. I have both the TDZ Bing Dao and Bang Dong of 2013, too and I have found the Bang Dong to be tasty and fairly accessible both to me and when I serve it to newcomers to puer. But I haven’t even bothered to serve the Bing Dao to anyone because it just does not have as much taste. That's why I was so happy with the 20114 mao cha session I posted about above. I did brew some up the day before yesterday and got more flavor out of it than usual (I’m more careful with my grams to ml ratio lately) but not enough to make it worth more than the Bang Dong, which is a good value. Where we differ is that I haven’t noticed much smoke, just a little in the wet leaf aroma. I know how much you hate smoke. Maybe I’m really tolerant of it because I have some very smoky tea. A few times people have mentioned smoke in a tea and I was surprised because I hadn’t even noticed it. Perhaps if I were drinking exquisite Japanese greens sometimes as you do I would notice the smoke more? I wonder how much the smoke level varies from tong to tong.

Feb 5th, '15, 00:31

by Tead Off » Feb 5th, '15, 00:31

It took me awhile to begin noticing smoke in Puerh. At first, I couldn't differentiate it from the taste. My wife, who is more sensitive to it than I, began telling me this tea or that tea tasted smoky. I began to take notice and started to realize that several cakes I had bought were indeed smoky.

The question of how smoky a tea is, doesn't matter to me. If there is smoke, it taints the flavor and colors it. It does lessen after several brews, but who wants to sit there for 6-10 brews before the tea begins to reveal itself?

With this particular cake of Bingdao, I took it out of its ziplock to see if the smoke can somehow diffuse. No such luck with this one or any of the other smoky cakes I have. I guess it's called tuition.

Also, maocha will not taste the same as a cake. It is usually weaker tasting. I think this is a mistake that some vendors make in sending maocha as samples. My .02cents.

Feb 5th, '15, 08:51

by Puerlife » Feb 5th, '15, 08:51

TDZ sent me a 2014 Bing Dao sample from a cake as well. I had asked them what the difference was between mao cha and cakes and they were kind enough to send me both for the Bing Dao. All the other samples they sent me were from cakes. They mentioned that once difference is that because mao cha isn't pressed, it doesn't need to be steamed. I'd have to look up my notes to see what a really thought but in general I don't like months old sheng.

Feb 5th, '15, 19:53

by DVS » Feb 5th, '15, 19:53

drinking a nice 08" GNWL on a cold winter day. I am not a big fan of shu, but I could see my self drinking this on a regular basis.

Feb 6th, '15, 19:03

by mr mopu » Feb 6th, '15, 19:03

2002 Hai Lan Hao "Ai Lao Shan" mini cake from Yunnan Sourcing.
I got 10 grams of this in the Gaiwan and went to town with it.
The wet leaf gave an almost cinnamon aroma to it. Quite an alluring aroma for a puerh.
I started the steeps at about 3 seconds ,3 times for my big “western” cup.
This tea has a light orange color to it. Since it was stored in Kunming it hasn’t aged as much as a wetter stored one. This is very interesting, smoke is definitely present in this brew. It is a bit strong in the early steeps. I read some reviews on Yunnan Sourcings site and only 1 other person noted this. This tea has nice notes of cinnamon , nutmeg and camphor in its notes. It is a very engaging and active tea in the mouth. It lingers on a while after you finish the cup. The resteeps seem to be going well and the flavor profile has not diminished much at all. I will continue on with this tonight. This is campfire, nutmeg ,cinnamon and camphor fighting for their taste note.
Note to smoky notes, if you don’t like them I would not tell you to try this. If you don’t mind this may be an older sheng to relish as it progresses.

Flavors: Camphor, Cinnamon, Nutmeg, Smoke

+ Post Reply