Official Pu of the day

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Oct 13th, '16, 05:34

Re: Official Pu of the day

by Rui » Oct 13th, '16, 05:34

London's ChinaLife in Camden Town Cone Bandit gushu 100gms cake. A 2016 pu'er from He Kai mountain. A very aromatic, fairly smooth and a sweetish aftertaste tea that shows a very nice viscosity.

Oct 13th, '16, 07:09

by kuánglóng » Oct 13th, '16, 07:09

2008 Hai Lang Hao Jingmai brick

Revisited this tea with a buddy last night and it was a smoother, less adstringent experience than 3 months ago, at least taste wise. The first three steeps reminded both of us of recently washed laundry, not in a bad sense and from brew #4 onward some dominant flowery, perfumy notes dominated the flavor but left no traces whatsoever in our empty cups. Qi wise both of us didn't enjoy the slightly jittery ride too much and even though there was some juice left in the leaves we decided to hit the break after about 10 steeps. Back into storage for another couple years.

Oct 16th, '16, 02:22
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Oct 16th, '16, 02:22

Tried the 2016 Xiaguan QianJiaZhai as soon as it came in. Pretty good tea--good longevity and fairly intense and unique flavor with mild bitterness. I think it'll age well. Lots of smoke, which seems to be the case for all of the XG teas I bought fresh. Prior to this the only XG tea I'd had was HK traditional storage and there's no smoke left after that kind of warehousing, so it's interesting to see how XG teas start out.

Oct 19th, '16, 06:47

by Rui » Oct 19th, '16, 06:47

2015 Yibang mao cha from Terre de Ciel in France. This one seems to have matured nicely in the last 12 months as few months ago I tried the 2016 version which was quite different.

Oct 19th, '16, 08:13

by kuánglóng » Oct 19th, '16, 08:13

2015 Mengsong Old Tree (chawangshop)

Still amazed at how fast and deeply my system reacts to this tea. The velvet hammer comes to mind; a buddy has shared some similar experiences. Pretty smooth and tasty (turkish delight) but a little too powerful for my idea of a daily drinker - YMMV.

Oct 20th, '16, 10:45

by kuánglóng » Oct 20th, '16, 10:45

2015 Hai Lang Hao "Gao Shan Chen Yun" Yi Wu - 5g/60ml

After some initial disappointment and about one more month in a porcelain caddy (loosened up and having increased the moisture by ~1.5%) this tea has changed quite a bit and is a pleasure to drink now. The color of the soup has darkened considerably, it's definitely sweeter and thicker now, sort of sirupy and slightly sticky, much more expressive than when I got it with notes of cocoa powder and dark honey, good kuwei, huigan and sweet, flowery, chocolatey aftertaste and some lovely, rather gentle qi. Can't wait to see how this tea transforms after a couple more months in the caddy.

Oct 20th, '16, 20:53

by mr mopu » Oct 20th, '16, 20:53

kuánglóng wrote:2015 Hai Lang Hao "Gao Shan Chen Yun" Yi Wu - 5g/60ml

After some initial disappointment and about one more month in a porcelain caddy (loosened up and having increased the moisture by ~1.5%) this tea has changed quite a bit and is a pleasure to drink now. The color of the soup has darkened considerably, it's definitely sweeter and thicker now, sort of sirupy and slightly sticky, much more expressive than when I got it with notes of cocoa powder and dark honey, good kuwei, huigan and sweet, flowery, chocolatey aftertaste and some lovely, rather gentle qi. Can't wait to see how this tea transforms after a couple more months in the caddy.
Solid tea for $25.00. I turned some people on to it a while back.

Oct 22nd, '16, 13:56

by kuánglóng » Oct 22nd, '16, 13:56

2014 Laos Ban Payasi (what-cha)

Even though I used less than boiling water (~92°C) and flash steeps for those 5g/~60ml I get some pronounced but good and welcome bitterness during the first couple rounds. The dominant notes in the flavor seemed really close to some nutty Bi Lo Chun I've had lately with a bit of smoke and the aroma from the lid of the gaiwan reminded me more of a specific resinous plant that some folks enjoy than anything else. I've experienced some mellow, long lasting throat action somewhere deep down but no real huigan to speak of and the slightly heavy psychosomatIc effects plus the jitters from the caffeine after the second cup disqualify this stuff as a daily drinker for me - YMMV.
As to the ageabilty of this stuff I'm not too sure, there's quite some juice and power in those leaves and this pronounced bitterness that stays on the palate for quite a while but since the cold soup tastes even more like some nutty green tea I'll give those leaves some more months in a caddy and see where that takes them.
jayinhk wrote:2014 Laos Ban Payasi sheng from Chawangshop. Really lovely tea. Nice wild floral gushu taste, smooth, clean and calming qi. Sweet, a little smokey and no bitterness. My kind of sheng, but I wonder how tea like this will age long term as it seems so delicate. Great for drinking now for sure! Honza thinks it will age well, and he knows his stuff, so maybe I should pick a few up when I'm in Kunming in five weeks. :)

Still on the Laos Ban Payasi the day after--infusion two is fuller flavored and the smoke has dissipated. Really lovely stuff. Brewing in F1 hongni (170ml) from EoT. This pot works extremely well with younger sheng.

Oct 24th, '16, 00:38
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Oct 24th, '16, 00:38

I haven't cracked any of my 2015 cakes from Chawang yet--still working on samples! I might wait until 2017 to see what's going on with my Chawangpu as I have tons of other things to drink!

Drinking a sticky rice fragrance shu mini brick from a friend in Saigon. She said she loved the stuff and I curled my nose up and said I'd never tried it. Surprisingly nice combo that is very pleasurable to drink. She gave me a little jar of mini bricks, so I'll dip into the jar as needed.

Oct 24th, '16, 22:51

by Alucard » Oct 24th, '16, 22:51

jayinhk wrote:I haven't cracked any of my 2015 cakes from Chawang yet--still working on samples! I might wait until 2017 to see what's going on with my Chawangpu as I have tons of other things to drink!
I have a couple 2015 Chawangpu cakes and a 2016 cake on the way. Have not tried them before and looking forward to it. 2017 is right around the corner.

Oct 25th, '16, 02:04
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Oct 25th, '16, 02:04

Alucard wrote:
jayinhk wrote:I haven't cracked any of my 2015 cakes from Chawang yet--still working on samples! I might wait until 2017 to see what's going on with my Chawangpu as I have tons of other things to drink!
I have a couple 2015 Chawangpu cakes and a 2016 cake on the way. Have not tried them before and looking forward to it. 2017 is right around the corner.
Two years of HK storage will mean some changes--I am curious to see what they're like now!

Oct 25th, '16, 04:09

by kuánglóng » Oct 25th, '16, 04:09

Same here, got tons of tea and will need another while to sample my way through Honza's parcels and some more stuff but I already ordered four more mini-tongs (5*100g) of the 2006 Kokang. This stuff rings some bells that I haven't heard in a long time; two of my friends like it just as much.

I still haven't tried anything but the 2011 Kunlu from my recent Terre de ciel order. From what it looks and smells like the samples I've prepared from the cakes I've got (loosened up, slightly moisturized and kept at about 30°C) still need a week or longer to reveal some more of their potential.

Oct 27th, '16, 06:06

by Rui » Oct 27th, '16, 06:06

Sipping one of my favourite dry stored raw pu'er teas: 2002 YONG PIN HAO "RED YI WU ZHENG SHAN".

Somehow I wish there was a much wider choice of this level of quality. Deep yellow colour, excellent gushu aroma and lightly sweet flavour. Just perfect.

Oct 27th, '16, 06:35

by kuánglóng » Oct 27th, '16, 06:35

Rui wrote:Sipping one of my favourite dry stored raw pu'er teas: 2002 YONG PIN HAO "RED YI WU ZHENG SHAN".

Somehow I wish there was a much wider choice of this level of quality. Deep yellow colour, excellent gushu aroma and lightly sweet flavour. Just perfect.
Have you tried the 2001 version, Rui?
I'm thinking about getting another 2003 Feng Qing Jia Ji Er Deng. Storage has been a bit more humid but on a nice day this tea blows me away like not much else.

Sipping some of William's 2015 Jingmai gushu over here. Life's sweet :)

Oct 27th, '16, 08:40

by Rui » Oct 27th, '16, 08:40

kuánglóng wrote:Have you tried the 2001 version, Rui?
I'm thinking about getting another 2003 Feng Qing Jia Ji Er Deng. Storage has been a bit more humid but on a nice day this tea blows me away like not much else.

Sipping some of William's 2015 Jingmai gushu over here. Life's sweet :)
No I have never tried the 2001 yet. Is it still available?

At home I have the 2005 Yong Pin Hao "Bamboo House" Raw Pu-erh tea cake of Yi Wu Mountain which is also great.

Yes William's teas I pretty good. From the 2016 tea cakes my favourite was the Jingmai Gulan. By the way I got an email a couple of days ago telling that they have a new website. Did you get that as well?

The 2003 Feng Qing Jia Ji Er Deng I have only sipped the sample and I had to make purchasing choices and I still have not bought a full cake. Maybe I should revise my decision.

+ Post Reply