Official Pu of the day

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Nov 17th, '08, 21:06

by shogun89 » Nov 17th, '08, 21:06

puerhking wrote:Yuan Nian Yi Wu 2007
Ebay vendor vins_n_teas $13

Astringency - none
Smoke - some
Dryness - none
Mouthfeel - medium +
Hui gan - some
Flavor - excellent
Overall value - off the hook
Purchase again - I can only hope to obtain more

Right off the bat….a bit of smoke and bacon. Then wood, hay and a hint of camphor. Fairly complex. Initially the brewed leaves hit hard with the scent of bacon. Somewhat strange but somehow satisfying. Leaning more to the earthy side which is nice for a change. Flavors have an aged feel about them for an 07. Coats the mouth with flavors that linger long after liquor is swallowed. Nice large leaves that are mostly intact…they are dark as well making me wonder if they are fall leaves. After later brews the leaves had a complex and magnificently sweet smell to them. For the $13 I paid including shipping…an obscene bargain. One of the best shengs I have had.
I tired a few different methods to locate the vendor and the cake but could find neither, Could you provide a link please, Sounds promising. . . .

Thanks

Nov 17th, '08, 23:38

by hop_goblin » Nov 17th, '08, 23:38

Astringency - none
Smoke - some
Dryness - none
Mouthfeel - medium +
Hui gan - some
Flavor - excellent

Right off the bat….a bit of smoke and bacon. Then wood, hay and a hint of camphor. Fairly complex. Initially the brewed leaves hit hard with the scent of bacon. Somewhat strange but somehow satisfying. Leaning more to the earthy side which is nice for a change. Flavors have an aged feel about them for an 07. Coats the mouth with flavors that linger long after liquor is swallowed. Nice large leaves that are mostly intact…they are dark as well making me wonder if they are fall leaves. After later brews the leaves had a complex and magnificently sweet smell to them. For the $13 I paid including shipping…an obscene bargain. One of the best shengs I have had.
Interesting. Bacon? Not what I would find pleasant in a pu. I have never heard the claim that fall leaves are dark. However, I have read that ancient tree can be dark. Although highly doubtful for 13$. Fall leaves are generally larger in size and are less aromatic or astringent in profile. I hate to say it, but the profile is not reminiscent of Yiwu. I wonder where the leaves came from.

Nov 17th, '08, 23:43

by PolyhymnianMuse » Nov 17th, '08, 23:43

shogun89 wrote:
puerhking wrote:
I tired a few different methods to locate the vendor and the cake but could find neither, Could you provide a link please, Sounds promising. . . .

Thanks
Actually the vendor is not really a vendor and more just some guy that wanted to get rid of a few cakes and was using ebay. I picked up the last of what he had I think, he only had a few different cakes up. You might be able to message him though and see if he has anything he wants to sell.

Besides from vins_n_teas though, I haven't seen cakes from this company anywhere else.

Nov 18th, '08, 11:48

by puerhking » Nov 18th, '08, 11:48

hop_goblin wrote:

Astringency - none
Smoke - some
Dryness - none
Mouthfeel - medium +
Hui gan - some
Flavor - excellent

Interesting. Bacon? Not what I would find pleasant in a pu. I have never heard the claim that fall leaves are dark. However, I have read that ancient tree can be dark. Although highly doubtful for 13$. Fall leaves are generally larger in size and are less aromatic or astringent in profile. I hate to say it, but the profile is not reminiscent of Yiwu. I wonder where the leaves came from.
I thought I had read somewhere that fall leaves were generally darker but I could be mistaken. I do not know how much this would retail for from a YSLLC as this was purchased from an individual. The website and the cakes are as professionally done as any I have seen. The neifei is reminiscent of Menghai in complexity. I have no reason to believe there is not at least some Yiwu in the mix. I did post a pic of the leaves on the original post.

Nov 18th, '08, 11:52

by puerhking » Nov 18th, '08, 11:52

Thanks
Yeah.......what Poly said. Here is the website......you could try to email them and hope they read english. http://www.yuanniantea.com/index.asp

Ive tried to locate more as well.....with no luck. You could also email vins_n_tea and see if he can tell you where to get it.

Nov 18th, '08, 15:01

We can get them!

by Jim Liu » Nov 18th, '08, 15:01

puerhking wrote:

Thanks
Yeah.......what Poly said. Here is the website......you could try to email them and hope they read english. http://www.yuanniantea.com/index.asp

Ive tried to locate more as well.....with no luck. You could also email vins_n_tea and see if he can tell you where to get it.
I have obtained two of their best 2008 offerings: Jianchen Iron Cake and Summit (some called it 'Alliance' ) Cake, currently sitting in my Kunming warehouse doing absolutely nothing.

Summit Cake is also named as 8848, the height of the tallest mountain in the world, the only Pu drunk at 8848 meters above the sea level. Yuannian's website posted some pictures here:
http://www.yuanniantea.com/forum_view.a ... ew_id=2423
and here:
http://www.yuanniantea.com/forum_view.a ... ew_id=2414

I wonder if it's worthwhile to have them shipped to US and get a few other offerings.

Nov 18th, '08, 15:49

Re: We can get them!

by shogun89 » Nov 18th, '08, 15:49

puerhshop wrote:
puerhking wrote:

Thanks

I have obtained two of their best 2008 offerings: Jianchen Iron Cake and Summit (some called it 'Alliance' ) Cake, currently sitting in my Kunming warehouse doing absolutely nothing.

That second cake there looks great!
Summit Cake is also named as 8848, the height of the tallest mountain in the world, the only Pu drunk at 8848 meters above the sea level. Yuannian's website posted some pictures here:
and here:

I wonder if it's worthwhile to have them shipped to US and get a few other offerings.

Nov 18th, '08, 16:01

by PolyhymnianMuse » Nov 18th, '08, 16:01

puerhshop wrote:
puerhking wrote:

Thanks

and here:

I know for a fact that I would purchase more cakes from Yuannian. What kind of price are we talking to get some to the states?

Nov 18th, '08, 16:14

by Jim Liu » Nov 18th, '08, 16:14

PolyhymnianMuse wrote:
I know for a fact that I would purchase more cakes from Yuannian. What kind of price are we talking to get some to the states?
I am using the slowest, sea cargo for shipping, and I have to wait for at least two months.

With that, it is estimated that Summit cake would sell at about $ 14 and Jianchen Wild cake at $ 11.

BTW, these two are among their most expensive offerings, since this company is barely one year old (however the CEO is a veteran in Pu business).

Nov 18th, '08, 16:34

by thanks » Nov 18th, '08, 16:34

puerhshop wrote:
PolyhymnianMuse wrote:
I am using the slowest, sea cargo for shipping, and I have to wait for at least two months.

With that, it is estimated that Summit cake would sell at about $ 14 and Jianchen Wild cake at $ 11.

BTW, these two are among their most expensive offerings, since this company is barely one year old (however the CEO is a veteran in Pu business).
I would be interested, especially at that attractive price.

Nov 18th, '08, 16:36

by PolyhymnianMuse » Nov 18th, '08, 16:36

thanks wrote:
puerhshop wrote:
PolyhymnianMuse wrote:

I would be interested, especially at that attractive price.
I second that, I'd be interested by the tong. :lol:

Nov 18th, '08, 16:47

Your wish is my command.

by Jim Liu » Nov 18th, '08, 16:47

I will ask my brother send the boxes, remind you that it would take at least 2 months.

Nov 18th, '08, 16:50

Re: Your wish is my command.

by PolyhymnianMuse » Nov 18th, '08, 16:50

puerhshop wrote:I will ask my brother send the boxes, remind you that it would take at least 2 months.
I'm more than willing to wait for something like that. Also makes it much more easier to break open the cakes I already have knowing that I can load up on more :)

I will deff be keeping my eyes out for these. Like I said I'd like to pick up tongs of some of these cakes for storage and at the price it makes it very attractive to do so.

Nov 18th, '08, 17:03

by puerhking » Nov 18th, '08, 17:03

and here:

Very cool. I have the Alliance cake. I thought the 8848 had the usual meaning! Too funny. I tried that cake last week and liked it a lot. I will have it again in a couple days and will give tasting notes.

Nov 18th, '08, 17:07

by puerhking » Nov 18th, '08, 17:07

puerhshop wrote:
PolyhymnianMuse wrote:

Can you tell us anything else about the CEO's experience? Has he worked for any of the major pu players?

+ Post Reply