Official Pu of the day

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Mar 23rd, '15, 22:24
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: Official Pu of the day

by the_economist » Mar 23rd, '15, 22:24

Zacherywolf7 wrote: Beautiful sheen on that pot friend.
Thanks!

Mar 24th, '15, 16:00

by mam2431 » Mar 24th, '15, 16:00

I spent the afternoon enjoying The Essence of Tea’s 2009 Wuliang Wild Puerh Tea. This lovely tea is powerfully sweet, fruity and complex. Some Wuliangs I have had before revealed smoke in the flavor profile but fortunately I did not find that in this tea. The strong sweetness is the main feature here - sweetness mixed with spice and citrus suggesting the healthy characteristics of the wild trees (800-1000 years old) and environment from which it comes.

Mar 25th, '15, 22:03

by mr mopu » Mar 25th, '15, 22:03

Having "tribute Teas" 2013 "Bada Shan Shengtai".
Breaking this one out to try tonight. I am very intrigued by this one as I like Bada’s a bit. This tea is packed cylinder style and I picked off 10 grams to try. The leaf is very nice on this one. It has a nice greenish hay aroma of the dry leaf.
I did a quick rinse in the easy gaiwan to brew this with. Very nice aroma, the green puerh aroma comes through and then an aroma that smells very sweet on this one.
The brew is a nice dark golden color in the cup. The aroma is very nice on this one, makes me want to dive in on it.
The brew is nice. It is very thick, almost syrupy thick. . The bitter is there but it goes sweet very quickly. It has just the slightest touch of the smokiness left , but just the slightest hint. The aroma on the brewed leaf is really fantastic. The aromatics of this one will hit you hard. Makes you want to toss back the whole cup at once. Really impressed by this one.
I have really enjoyed this and been glad got enough to have at a later date. Well done on the tea production and the one who found it.

Flavors: Bitter, Hay, Smoke, Sweet

Mar 26th, '15, 08:21

by Rui » Mar 26th, '15, 08:21

Today I am sipping again New Amerikah 2 raw pu'er from W2T. I think I need to buy a cake of this tea with the next order.

Mar 26th, '15, 16:19

by puerhking » Mar 26th, '15, 16:19

08 Xiaguan Baoyan Jin Cha -

This was once greens with some brown....overall darkish in color. Now it is even darker....all shades of brown....almost looking like a shu. Brews fairly dark....looking like hongcha. Sweet....it really has a persistent sweetness with some wood. There is a hint of smokiness at the end. This does not have a big bandwidth of different flavors....yet it is pretty tasty.

Mar 27th, '15, 01:15

by shah82 » Mar 27th, '15, 01:15

2009 Dragon Pole shu, have been thinking about aged shu a lot, and what makes for a good potential. This one is doing pretty well, with the best feature being a good mouthcoat and a bit of cooling with it. Later infusions are pretty thick in soup. I wouldn't say it's the best thing in the world, but if you had gotten a lot of this tea, forgetting that you had one or two cakes probably would give you a really nice tea in 2030. Of course, a decent sheng would do better.

I finished off the 70's Liu Bao. This was a good session as expected, and I was drinking this with the '90s shu I've just had in mind. I suppose the liu bao is better, but there are different purposes one can have for different teas.

Sometimes, it really feels like puerh (and aged tea in general) is a religious art dedicated to Apollo rather than Dionysus.

Mar 27th, '15, 03:21

by steanze » Mar 27th, '15, 03:21

shah82 wrote: Sometimes, it really feels like puerh (and aged tea in general) is a religious art dedicated to Apollo rather than Dionysus.
until you get tea drunk :D

Mar 29th, '15, 06:22

by Puerlife » Mar 29th, '15, 06:22

My wife and I went and had lunch at a waterfall so I brewed up some fruity, floral 905 7542 for the trip. The broth is surprisingly dark this time and the fruity, floral notes (more of the latter) and much reduced smokiness was a nice surprise as well. I think the low humidity of the last four months or so has been just what it needed.
Attachments
IMG_3136 20.jpg
IMG_3136 20.jpg (73.49 KiB) Viewed 1355 times

Mar 29th, '15, 07:18

by Tead Off » Mar 29th, '15, 07:18

We've had very high humidity for the last couple of months. I wouldn't mind going to a waterfall here in Bangkok. :-)

Mar 29th, '15, 09:25

by Puerlife » Mar 29th, '15, 09:25

Tead Off wrote:We've had very high humidity for the last couple of months. I wouldn't mind going to a waterfall here in Bangkok. :-)
Last month the RH was in the 30s and 40s! I even added a couple of water buckets to my study where I keep my pu. This waterfall is only 30 or 40 minutes from our house. The ozone, negative ions, qi, whatever it is certainly gave us a lift and the waterfall, protected from the sun by trees, gave us a steady cool breeze. Great day off for the wife and day out for me :D Urban sprawl and traffic get worse every year but days like this remind me why I chose Chiang Mai. I imagine for Bangkokians getting to a place like this would require an overnighter?

Mar 29th, '15, 13:46

by Tead Off » Mar 29th, '15, 13:46

Puerlife wrote:
Tead Off wrote:We've had very high humidity for the last couple of months. I wouldn't mind going to a waterfall here in Bangkok. :-)
Last month the RH was in the 30s and 40s! I even added a couple of water buckets to my study where I keep my pu. This waterfall is only 30 or 40 minutes from our house. The ozone, negative ions, qi, whatever it is certainly gave us a lift and the waterfall, protected from the sun by trees, gave us a steady cool breeze. Great day off for the wife and day out for me :D Urban sprawl and traffic get worse every year but days like this remind me why I chose Chiang Mai. I imagine for Bangkokians getting to a place like this would require an overnighter?
You know, the air qualilty in BKK is not so good. It's not like Chinese cities, but Chiang Mai is much worse than Bangkok for several months out of the year. Nobody can stop the natives from burning off the fields and it also comes in from Myanmar. Horrible stuff.

1.5 to 2 hours out of BKK, you have some lovely places like Khao Yai and Kanchanaburi province. Mountains, waterfalls, wildlife. 2 hours south and you have the beaches. :-)

Mar 29th, '15, 21:21

by Puerlife » Mar 29th, '15, 21:21

Yes, Chiang Mai's air late in the cool season and then through the hot season is dangerously bad. I know three guys who developed throat cancer after moving here, and several more who developed some kind of respiratory problem, including me with asthma, although qigong is really helping. I was bunkered down in my study with the air con, negative ionizer with UV cleaner and wearing a 3M N95 mask when riding the scooter and walking the dog, but last week it rained three nights in a row, very unseasonably, and now the air is fine. Usually we don't get a drop until at least Songkran.
So Bangkok is actually pretty convenient for a quick getaway. I didn't realize that. And the beach, oh I miss the beach...And fresh seafood.

Mar 30th, '15, 19:00

by bankung » Mar 30th, '15, 19:00

Puerlife wrote:Yes, Chiang Mai's air late in the cool season and then through the hot season is dangerously bad. I know three guys who developed throat cancer after moving here, and several more who developed some kind of respiratory problem, including me with asthma, although qigong is really helping. I was bunkered down in my study with the air con, negative ionizer with UV cleaner and wearing a 3M N95 mask when riding the scooter and walking the dog, but last week it rained three nights in a row, very unseasonably, and now the air is fine. Usually we don't get a drop until at least Songkran.
So Bangkok is actually pretty convenient for a quick getaway. I didn't realize that. And the beach, oh I miss the beach...And fresh seafood.
For fresh seafood, you should try out the Japanese restaurant "REN" at Dhara Dhevi hotel in Chieng Mai.

Mar 31st, '15, 05:26

by Rui » Mar 31st, '15, 05:26

This morning I am tasting 2014 Jingmai Shengtai raw pu'er from Bannacha. Although it is from Jingmai's natural tea gardens and not from the ancient tea gardens the tea is a nice daily drinker for me.

Apr 1st, '15, 01:12

by Puerlife » Apr 1st, '15, 01:12

For fresh seafood, you should try out the Japanese restaurant "REN" at Dhara Dhevi hotel in Chieng Mai.
I'll keep that in mind in case I win the lottery :D
I went there a few times when it was still the Oriental or Orchid or something. They had what they called dim sum and the food was very good but you ordered from the table and they brought it to you, no other customers in sight so it lacked the earthy, boisterous dim sum atmosphere I love, but the colonial era architecture is fantastic.
BTW, I had that 7542 again that I mentioned a few posts above with more normal results--the drinking ashes in water character was back in full force and the broth seemed lighter, and the floral, fruity aspect was just a memory, although the light mushroomy aftertaste was tasty. At about #6 it got smooth and starting leaving that slippery tongue/mouth coating I love but never let me forget I was drinking out of an ashtray. Maybe mixing so many infusions together the other day made it greater than the sum of its infusions? I still wish I had a tong, though, because I've only had it for a year and it's already showing decent signs of progress.

+ Post Reply