Official Pu of the day

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Jul 24th, '14, 21:33

Re: Official Pu of the day

by shah82 » Jul 24th, '14, 21:33

But people really care about thinking that they're doing it the *best* way.

Jul 25th, '14, 00:33

by Puerlife » Jul 25th, '14, 00:33

shah82 wrote:But people really care about thinking that they're doing it the *best* way.
This is often the product of an education system that values THE CORRECT ANSWER, especially when the system's so standardized that tests can be corrected by computers. There cannot be two; there is only one CORRECT ANSWER. Computers do not accept ambiguity.

Jul 30th, '14, 11:04

by Puerlife » Jul 30th, '14, 11:04

No puer posts for four days! OK, I'll break the drought. This is good, lots of tongue and palate cooling, lasting dried fruit aftertaste and good feeling.
Attachments
Q.jpg
Q.jpg (34.73 KiB) Viewed 1173 times

Jul 31st, '14, 09:01

by Puerlife » Jul 31st, '14, 09:01

A good friend came over and he is new to sheng that has some age so I started with my 2007 Jing Mei Tang by Chang Tai. I'd done several sessions with it that were all very satisfying but today it just didn't taste good. Weird. So then we really wanted something good so I pulled out my Menghai 2002 Red Yiwu that I bought from Patrick at Skip4tea and that did the trick. Really good stuff. He wanted to buy it. I let him buy half.

Jul 31st, '14, 20:55

by mr mopu » Jul 31st, '14, 20:55

Puerlife wrote:A good friend came over and he is new to sheng that has some age so I started with my 2007 Jing Mei Tang by Chang Tai. I'd done several sessions with it that were all very satisfying but today it just didn't taste good. Weird. So then we really wanted something good so I pulled out my Menghai 2002 Red Yiwu that I bought from Patrick at Skip4tea and that did the trick. Really good stuff. He wanted to buy it. I let him buy half.
Is Patrick at Skip4tea shipping to the US?
I sent an inquiry about this but as of yet I haven't gotten an answer.

Jul 31st, '14, 21:30

by Puerlife » Jul 31st, '14, 21:30

I don't know. I bought it face to face at the expo in June and didn't ask about shipping because I live close enough to just go there a couple of times a year. He gave me a very good price and it was still 900 ringgits but that was the least expensive bing he had for sale at the expo. He and his wife are very nice people and I drank a lot of tea at there table.

Aug 1st, '14, 00:00

by Puerlife » Aug 1st, '14, 00:00

Just to clarify, when I bought the Red Yiwu for 900, no one else was selling it for less than 1,100 and the current price is 1,200. Also, Patrick just told me that he does ship to the U.S.

Aug 2nd, '14, 01:11

by Peacock » Aug 2nd, '14, 01:11

Rdeitz wrote:After much excitement, today I tried the 2002 White2tea White Whale.
OK, I guess I’m going to be the one to disagree with all the hype about this tea. It is smokey. Really smokey, and stays that way through at least several infusions, after that I couldn’t take anymore. It is certainly a hearty tea, but the smoke is overwhelming. I personally don’t consider this quality good for a Pu erh tea. I did not enjoy this at all. If you like smoke, I’m sure you will.
I'm going to agree with you as well. I put in a order for this a few weeks ago and had time to drink and contemplate whether I like it. The verdict, the tea is okay. For the price no one should complain though. However, I received a sample of the 2007 Reprave and that one is much better at an marginally increased cost.

Aug 2nd, '14, 13:34

by JakubT » Aug 2nd, '14, 13:34

Having 2002 Bulang (the one from Chawangshop) now - I confused the packages, thinking I was drinking something else and I was surprised how Bulangy it was... well, surprise.

I like it very much, having it with a tea stove water really improves on the "nice" aspects of it, shifting it from 60% sweet&deep&honey&fruit Bulang vs 40% hard&pine-y&woody&leathery Bulang to more like 90% vs 10% - a most commendable change. I thought it was ok for the previous price and that $150 is too much. After having some $150 young teas, I would not say it's too much anymore.

Very sweet, reasonably deep, surprisingly active in mouth (buzzing, cooling), I do like it a lot. It's a remote relative (a bit drier stored, I guess) to 2003 Bulang Jing Pin that I also enjoyed a lot.

Aug 2nd, '14, 14:47

by debunix » Aug 2nd, '14, 14:47

Finally stopped a multi-day session with the 2009 Lao Ban Zhang from Norbu. I've probably got enough for one more session after this....I will be sad to see the end of it. So nice, especially from Petr's treebark teapot.

Aug 2nd, '14, 16:56

by daidokorocha » Aug 2nd, '14, 16:56

debunix wrote:Finally stopped a multi-day session with the 2009 Lao Ban Zhang from Norbu. I've probably got enough for one more session after this....I will be sad to see the end of it. So nice, especially from Petr's treebark teapot.
I had to go search the forum to try to find this. Very nice! Do you happen to have any more pictures besides this one?

http://debunix.smugmug.com/Tea/Tea/i-WR ... %202-S.jpg

Aug 2nd, '14, 17:06

by debunix » Aug 2nd, '14, 17:06

Aug 3rd, '14, 11:40

by daidokorocha » Aug 3rd, '14, 11:40

Thank youuuuu very much. Those really are some splendid sets. I love the very many earthy pieces you have, like the Mark Smalley sake cup that you photographed with the treebark pot. So many gorgeous pieces that I feel I will put off work and spend the day perusing your photos. The aroma cup set with the sencha is exquisite and has such calming effect. I must say, this is making me all too relaxed. I think I need some tea!

Aug 3rd, '14, 15:59

by daidokorocha » Aug 3rd, '14, 15:59

I've recently taken to starting my day with a cup of puerh instead of the usual. I was looking around on youtube today and randomly stumbled upon this numi organic puerh video which I found all around bizarre. Here is the link to watch if anybody is interested in some comedy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3EdpRGa-xA

Also in this video, they pour their tea around 1:40 and it comes out extremely murky and nearly coffee like in color. I thought this was a bit strange but I remembered a post I read on here once about people brewing their pu-erh as if to approximate coffee. I've also read that this color is a sign of low quality stuff. Either way, I busted out my lowest quality stuff, which is a tin of loose shu I got from Chinatown. I got 5 grams or so and put it in a pot of 10 oz and let it brew for 7 minutes following a quick rinse. It wasn't opaque but it was much darker than I am used to. Either way, it had an interesting flavor that was different than typical and while drinking it I poured another 10 oz into the pot and steeped it. I have no clue how long I steeped this one for but it definitely came out quite dark this time around. Again, some interesting flavors in this one but I much preferred the first steep. I rarely steep any tea half (or even a quarter) as long.

So, I think it'll be back to my regular methods... I got 5 delicious hybrid brewed infusions this morning before deciding to stop. Besides, I enjoy the color of pu-erh far too much to let it turn so dark.

Aug 4th, '14, 08:06

by mam2431 » Aug 4th, '14, 08:06

I recently picked up the 2005 Changda Hao Yiwu Mansa Gu Shu Cha. Enjoyed two pleasant sessions over the weekend. What’s not to like? Yiwu leaf; old trees; traditional processing; stone pressed; a bit of age on the cake; nicely stored -- all attributes I greatly appreciate. My own sessions resulted in nice balance; a bit of sweetness; good huigan; a touch of spiciness; pleasant mouthfeel. Picked up this cake at Puerh Shop – very glad I made the purchase.

+ Post Reply