Official Pu of the day

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Sep 12th, '11, 14:29

Re: Pu of the day

by shah82 » Sep 12th, '11, 14:29

And oh yeah, the Bangwai is definitely good for the qi! Man Nuo is even better!

Sep 12th, '11, 15:22

by debunix » Sep 12th, '11, 15:22

2009 Norbu Lao Mansa today, sweet and light and anise and spice, wonder if I should order another beeng of this for the future, because I want to drink more of this one now.

[Edited to add: I don't think I put enough mmmmm into this note the first time.]

So.....mmmmmm.....sweet.....mmmmmm.....light....mmmmmmm....anise......mmmmmmm.....spice......mmmmmmm.

That's better.

Sep 12th, '11, 16:35

by shah82 » Sep 12th, '11, 16:35

Go give Linda Louie over at Bana Tea a ring and ask her to hook you up with some divine Jingmai loose...

Oh, and there's a bit of drool on your blouse...
Last edited by shah82 on Sep 12th, '11, 16:53, edited 1 time in total.

Sep 12th, '11, 16:41

by Suteishi » Sep 12th, '11, 16:41

Reading this thread is very interesting. I think it is a bit lost on me since I really have almost no experience with puerh. I would love if people could direct me to threads or something that can help me get into the world of puerh.

Sep 12th, '11, 18:32

by debunix » Sep 12th, '11, 18:32

shah82 wrote:there's a bit of drool on your blouse...
Oops.....(quick wipe)....stopped now.
Suteishi wrote: threads or something that can help me get into the world of puerh.
Might suggest starting with the wikipedia article on puerh--it's nicely done. Also, Pue-erh, a westerner's quest is frequently cited here and elsewhere as a good resource. And then, pick a couple of puerh vendors (check the nominees in the puerh vendor topic as well as the officially linked vendors, as this topic has not been updated for a very long time), order a bunch of small samples from a couple of vendors, and play with the teas, reporting back in this topic to get more feedback & suggestions.

Sep 13th, '11, 10:28

by HifideliTea » Sep 13th, '11, 10:28

TIM wrote:
KC Lam wrote:Thanks debunix for the comment.

It was called white needle golden lotus back then, and I do not know if this receipe have been carried through to current production.
This is interesting KC. Menghai White Needle Golden Lotus started production in 1980's: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_rNl5VRNLz_s/R ... 0/WNGL.jpg

http://chahai.net/experiencing-tea-pt-2/

How did you manage to get something from 1973?
I'm glad you asked; it is always a new learning for me.
I had a long phone call with the seller who explained to me that " golden needle white lotus" did not exist back then, but to find a name for a 1970's tea that is similar to what is available today and after getting details from people who worked in Mehghai before. I asked why she had the guts to write the name of "Golden Needle White Lotus" on the invoice, knowing fully well that such a name does not exist for a 70's tea. She told me that she cannot describe it as "Gong Ting" because it is not, the tea that I purchased is termed Grade 1 tea back then. I can return the tea in exchange for something else, I guess this is another experience and I'll not shop there anymore.

Sep 13th, '11, 11:11

by Suteishi » Sep 13th, '11, 11:11

Suteishi wrote: threads or something that can help me get into the world of puerh.
Might suggest starting with the wikipedia article on puerh--it's nicely done. Also, http://www.pu-erh.net/ Pue-erh, a westerner's quest is frequently cited here and elsewhere as a good resource. And then, pick a couple of puerh vendors (check the nominees in the http://www.teachat.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=11929 puerh vendor topic as well as the officially linked vendors, as this topic has not been updated for a very long time), order a bunch of small samples from a couple of vendors, and play with the teas, reporting back in this topic to get more feedback & suggestions.

Ok... cool. I'll have a look and be sure to share when I order some.

Sep 13th, '11, 18:16

by DarkenedSun » Sep 13th, '11, 18:16

Ok, These were a present so I have no idea what they are. Anyone wanna help me in identifying these tuocha? CNNP...?
tuo.jpg
tuo.jpg (34.5 KiB) Viewed 2228 times

Sep 13th, '11, 18:30

by wyardley » Sep 13th, '11, 18:30

DarkenedSun wrote:Ok, These were a present so I have no idea what they are. Anyone wanna help me in identifying these tuocha? CNNP...?
[/attachment]
They're tuocha from Xiaguan Tea Factory (下关茶厂 starting at the third character from the left on the bottom) . Beyond that, that's a very common wrapper style. A real wrapperologist might be able to tell you something, especially because of that stamp on the one on the left (which might say 'shu'?), but really, it's hard to tell exactly when this tea is from or how much it's worth based on the wrapper's appearance. There are teas that look this way which are worth $1-2 US at most, and others which could be worth somewhat more.

Sep 13th, '11, 18:40

by DarkenedSun » Sep 13th, '11, 18:40

wyardley wrote:
DarkenedSun wrote:Ok, These were a present so I have no idea what they are. Anyone wanna help me in identifying these tuocha? CNNP...?
[/attachment]
They're tuocha from Xiaguan Tea Factory (下关茶厂 starting at the third character from the left on the bottom) . Beyond that, that's a very common wrapper style. A real wrapperologist might be able to tell you something, especially because of that stamp on the one on the left (which might say 'shu'?), but really, it's hard to tell exactly when this tea is from or how much it's worth based on the wrapper's appearance. There are teas that look this way which are worth $1-2 US at most, and others which could be worth somewhat more.
Well, I doubt they are worth a whole lot.... The person who gave them to me is not the richest person. :lol: At least I know where they are from... I was wondering...

Sep 13th, '11, 19:03

by DarkenedSun » Sep 13th, '11, 19:03

Yep. Shu. Took a pic of it and also flattened out the wrapper so it can been seen better. The other appears to be sheng.
shu.jpg
shu.jpg (17.23 KiB) Viewed 2218 times
wrap.jpg
wrap.jpg (19.23 KiB) Viewed 2218 times

Sep 13th, '11, 19:41
Scrolling: scrolling

by Drax » Sep 13th, '11, 19:41

Even if a few dollars, the gift of Xia Guan is nice...! :D

I couldn't resist trying a 12th steep of the 2007 Douji Mu Ye Chun that I started a couple days back. I enjoyed the tea, and certainly not a bad experience for a $20 beeng.

I started in on a mini-brick of 2009 Douji Youle "virgin" material... I got it at 7.99 from DTH on eBay about a month ago, and noticed that they've changed the price since then to 12.99... it's always amusing when your purchase apparently makes a vendor realize, "Hey, this tea should cost a lot more...!" :D

Sep 14th, '11, 10:08

by auhckw » Sep 14th, '11, 10:08

I was sitting at a certain angle and then I noticed the below...

Sep 14th, '11, 10:43

by brandon » Sep 14th, '11, 10:43

You can't drink a box.

Sep 14th, '11, 10:54

by Drax » Sep 14th, '11, 10:54

auhckw wrote:I was sitting at a certain angle and then I noticed the below...
Shiny! Is the shininess a solid color, is it like a rainbow-holographic type of material?

+ Post Reply