Official Pu of the day

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

May 10th, '15, 03:26

Re: Official Pu of the day

by PurplePotato » May 10th, '15, 03:26

mr mopu wrote:
PurplePotato wrote:
mr mopu wrote:SOTD 2004 Chang Yu Hao Yi Wu 7 grams in 120 'll gaiwan (lite brewing for me) At first I thought this was going be one of those extremely pure gu shu teas. That is all about aftertaste mouthfeel and qi. But having llittle in the way of flavor Other than an extremely pure taste that is more feeling than taste. Cakes like the 1996 Truly Simply Elegant and certain Yan Qing Haos come to mind. While I love teas of this style I have a hard time shelling out the outrageous sumsof money Teas command. If I spend that much I want the tea to have flavor too. :)
[/quote

I think I have been "hacked"! That wasn't a review of mine. Anybody who know me will know I use at least 10 grams and 10oz. per session.
Whoops! My memory is that I just pressed the quote button and then deleted parts of gasninja's post, but clearly I did something else...

May 10th, '15, 11:29

by mr mopu » May 10th, '15, 11:29

PurplePotato wrote:
mr mopu wrote:
PurplePotato wrote:
mr mopu wrote:SOTD 2004 Chang Yu Hao Yi Wu 7 grams in 120 'll gaiwan (lite brewing for me) At first I thought this was going be one of those extremely pure gu shu teas. That is all about aftertaste mouthfeel and qi. But having llittle in the way of flavor Other than an extremely pure taste that is more feeling than taste. Cakes like the 1996 Truly Simply Elegant and certain Yan Qing Haos come to mind. While I love teas of this style I have a hard time shelling out the outrageous sumsof money Teas command. If I spend that much I want the tea to have flavor too. :)
[/quote

I think I have been "hacked"! That wasn't a review of mine. Anybody who know me will know I use at least 10 grams and 10oz. per session.
Whoops! My memory is that I just pressed the quote button and then deleted parts of gasninja's post, but clearly I did something else...
I thought that may have happened! You hacker you!!! :D

May 11th, '15, 17:25

by puerhking » May 11th, '15, 17:25

2013 Feng Chun from Yunnan Sourcing - this is a great blended puerh. Very consistent.....just keeps giving a nice potent tea soup. Yum.

May 12th, '15, 03:02

by Rui » May 12th, '15, 03:02

2012 Cangyan Gufeng Yiwu from White2Tea a very drinkable raw pu'er with a great price.

May 14th, '15, 02:58

by Zacherywolf7 » May 14th, '15, 02:58

http://www.white2tea.com/tea-shop/2014-new-amerykah/

Got a yixing. Tested out https://www.essenceoftea.com/tea/puerh- ... h-tea.html in it and compared to the gaiwan it was flavorless. I emailed David of EoT and he seemed to be all for a yixing with young sheng. So I thought I'd test the pot with a punchier puerh, the one linked above, and it worked wonders. More flavorful, more texture than the gaiwan. Fantastic. So I seasoned the yixing and while doing so put the 7 grams in the yixing on top of the 8 grams in the gaiwan of the new amerykah. Fantastic stuff. I need to study it more closely as a tea rather than thinking about the yixing but right now I am feeling more tea drunk than ever.

May 14th, '15, 04:04

by BW85 » May 14th, '15, 04:04

Zacherywolf7 wrote:http://www.white2tea.com/tea-shop/2014-new-amerykah/

Got a yixing. Tested out https://www.essenceoftea.com/tea/puerh- ... h-tea.html in it and compared to the gaiwan it was flavorless. I emailed David of EoT and he seemed to be all for a yixing with young sheng. So I thought I'd test the pot with a punchier puerh, the one linked above, and it worked wonders. More flavorful, more texture than the gaiwan. Fantastic. So I seasoned the yixing and while doing so put the 7 grams in the yixing on top of the 8 grams in the gaiwan of the new amerykah. Fantastic stuff. I need to study it more closely as a tea rather than thinking about the yixing but right now I am feeling more tea drunk than ever.
Where'd you acquire the yixing? Just curious

May 14th, '15, 04:09

by Rui » May 14th, '15, 04:09

Yunnan Sourcing 2012 "Impression" raw pu'er a fairly smooth and pleasant tea.
Last edited by Rui on May 14th, '15, 04:43, edited 1 time in total.

May 14th, '15, 04:31

by Puerlife » May 14th, '15, 04:31

Zacherywolf7 wrote:http://www.white2tea.com/tea-shop/2014-new-amerykah/

I recently had my last session with my 25-gram sample of the 2014 New Amerykah2. As soon as I bought it last year I took it out of the sample bag, as I usually do with samples, and put it in a non airtight ceramic caddie and it finally paid off. I didn't like any other of my sessions with this tea but the last one was surprisingly good. I'm beginning to form the conclusion that I don't like new sheng, but one-year-old sheng I often like a lot. Thanks for the report, and please, more info on your pot. I only have one good sheng pot and it's reserved for sheng that's at least seven years old. Anything younger goes in a gaiwan, but what do I know :D

May 14th, '15, 14:59

by Zacherywolf7 » May 14th, '15, 14:59

BW85- it is this one https://www.essenceoftea.com/teaware/cl ... eapot.html. Thus why I contacted David about it :D

Puerlife- I will definitely keep posting in this thread, comparing the clay to gaiwan from time to time

May 14th, '15, 15:59

by BW85 » May 14th, '15, 15:59

Zacherywolf7 wrote:BW85- it is this one https://www.essenceoftea.com/teaware/cl ... eapot.html. Thus why I contacted David about it :D
One of my friends has a pot in that clay. It's nice clay, but it wouldn't surprise me if some delicate teas didn't go well with it... Which sounds like your experience. It would also have a lot to do with preference, some people my be willing to sacrifice some traits for others

May 15th, '15, 03:25

by Rui » May 15th, '15, 03:25

Today I have gone back to White2Tea's 2012 Cangyan Gufeng Yiwu.

May 16th, '15, 10:37

by Rdeitz » May 16th, '15, 10:37

2012 yr Organic BanZhang LaoManE Golden Buds Aged Tree puer Puerh Tea Ripe Cake from the Yunnan Menghai Banzhang Tea Co. by Streetshop88. I bought a sample of this tea with low expectations: a ripe cake that purports to be both organic and from LaoManE? I had my doubts. But I thought I’d give it a shot, I’m the curious type and I couldn’t resist. As for being organic, who knows. Probably not, as we all suspect the organic label on Chinese tea is often not for real, and in fact, I don’t see the word organic on the picture of the label. But as for being from LaoManE, it very well may be. The tea is interesting, and quite bitter. The kind of bitterness you would expect from a LaoManE tea. And it is interesting to taste this level of bitterness in a ripe pu erh. I wonder whether the bitterness will age out, or if it should already have been aged out since the tea has been fermented into a ripe? Underneath the bitterness is a smoothness, if that makes sense, and a hint of that plum flavor and earthiness, though these other flavors are hard to detect because of all the bitterness. It is hurting my stomach like a young sheng. I may buy a cake of this just to see what happens to it.

May 16th, '15, 14:13

by puerhking » May 16th, '15, 14:13

Second day on the 2014 Autumn Mang Zhi from YS. Fair amount of bitterness today but with a lot of aroma coming through. Reminiscent of the 2012 Man Zhuan in flavor profile...but its own unique thing.

May 23rd, '15, 01:59

by kiwi303 » May 23rd, '15, 01:59

I arrived at the farm yesterday and found my JKTeashop order and the tea from JayinHK here for me. The JiHK tea is open and airing and smelling quite musty, I can see the comments about musty HK storage teas.

I'm now drinking the second day of 2011 Menghai " Lao Cha Tou" Ripe Pu Er Tea from JKTeashop

May 24th, '15, 17:01

by gasninja » May 24th, '15, 17:01

2011 EOT Nannou. I am very happy that this tea is brewing up too something nice again.
I was originally impressed with this tea and ordered three cakes. A while back though it became very bland and just uninteresting. Also losing much of its initial qi. I Feared that it was not going to age well. I am now happy that I have a few of these. It is still a bit awkward. But it seemed to be waking up and coming out of its dormancy. There is a potent cha so and a vibrant mouthfeel. Good signs for the future.

+ Post Reply